RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   NEW TO BOATING , I HAVE QUESTIONS (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/5946216-new-boating-i-have-questions.html)

rodneykwalker 06-04-2007 11:34 PM

NEW TO BOATING , I HAVE QUESTIONS

Hello everyone Im Rodd,

well I just moved into a new home with a beautiful lake behind it, and I love it. Myself I have been into Nitro Buggies and Monster Trucks, but Im giving up because of the headache, and the mess it causes. I wanted to know whats the difference? Is boating alot of fun? Does it get messy? What is going to be the difference as far as ease, and fun between electric and gas, and nitro? How is nitro boating different than gas? I think if im going to try boating, Ill like to do boating for speed, so is there a boat you would recommend for start up?

Another thing I want to know is, what happens if the boat breaks down in the lake? How do I get it? What do people do about this? Ive always wondered this, like what if it runs out of gas or anything?

The thing I can say I think i would like is something with gas or nitro because i think it will be more fun to hear the boat on the water running than just see it only, anyway, please help me out

thanks

Rodd

FlyinFinn 06-05-2007 01:28 AM

RE: NEW TO BOATING , I HAVE QUESTIONS

Well, I'll take a shot at your questions. I just got into boating about 6 months ago. There are a few options for retrieving your boat if it conks-out on the water. First, if it is close to shore, you can use a push-button reel on a short, stout fishing rod with say, 12 pound line and a tennis ball attached to loop your boat. This might work best if you have some sort of hook protruding from the boat. Second, and most common, is a retrieval boat that you can get in and go get your boat such as a row boat or raft. Lastly, is the remote control retrieval boat. This is something that I would like to build and could add another dimension of fun to your model boating experience. As for the mess, well, nitro can get a bit messy, but only during cleaning and oiling procedure to preserve you motor and flex shaft. My recommendation would be to get a gas boat, such as an Insane or Lazer 45 monhull. If you like speed, then these will give it to you and these boats, once tuned, are less fussy than nitro boats. If you really want no mess, then go electric. The way that electric technology is improving, these boats are going as fast or faster than nitro boats. So, good luck in your quest, I hope you catch the bug of model boating model boat racing like I have! :D

13BT 06-05-2007 03:33 AM

if you dont like the mess, then go electric. Electric SPEED boats arent silent by any means. You will definitely hear it out there.

If you have the budget, try one of each and see which kind youd like to go with. Ill leave it to others to recommend some starter kits.

Better still, visit a club and see them running nitro and electric and ask lots of questions.

cmiller73 06-05-2007 09:06 AM

My suggestion would be to go to your local pond an scope out the happenings. There are a few boaters in your area that can help you out with anything you need. Matter of fact it would be even better to go see a race and hang out for the day(If your schedule allows). There is a race in Orlando 2 weekends from now. That would be a nice weekend trip.

rodneykwalker 06-05-2007 11:28 AM

can you show me the details of the race in orlando please i will go check it out before i make a purchase

cmiller73 06-05-2007 11:36 AM

Seems as if they are working on their website.
Orlando Culvert Dodgers is who you will be looking for.
Here is the flyer for the event http://namba3.net/OrlandoJune07flyer.pdf

Jonjoe 06-05-2007 11:41 AM

Hi there
These sorta 3 diffrent ways boating Scale : Nice models scale of the real ship and look absolutley brilliant with working turrets and radar and lights and sound ( ITS JUST ACE! lol :) ) Ant then theres RACING: Getting a hull sticking a whoping big motor init and going like the bat out of hell and then last but not least R/C COMBAT: Geting semi-sacle models (STILL LOOK GOOD) Fitting real turrets to them so they fire and then have massive battels and sink each other and then go in and get the ships at the end
I personaly like Scale and R/C combat
Hope this helps
Jonjoe:D:D:D

HSOK 06-05-2007 08:52 PM

Another good idea would be to talk to some of the neighbours. Gas and Nitro can make quite a bit of noise, so you don't want to make a bad first impression in your new area by making all sorts of noise that they might not want. You should also check if there are any sort of regulations in your area. On my local lake there are no internal combustion engines allowed, so electric and sailboats are okay as far as R/C goes.