RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Spray on Foam for flotation?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/5957209-spray-foam-flotation.html)

JIngalls007 06-07-2007 01:29 PM

Spray on Foam for flotation??

Is there such a thing and can someone recommend (or not) if it's worth it putting in a boat? thx

pompebled 06-07-2007 02:36 PM

RE: Spray on Foam for flotation??

Yes there is (building insulation foam in rattle cans) and no, I don't recommend it, as most types tend to keep expanding, ripping your hull open.

Poolnoodles are much safer for your hull.

Regards, Jan.

007clint 06-07-2007 03:23 PM

I used a 2-piece poor in foam (slow expanding) and it had the opposite effect. It appeared to work great but over time it shrank sucking in and warping the fiberglass in some places and breaking loose from the fiberglass and allowing water (can we say heavy) to creep in and get stuck behind it.

Not a good idea!

Justaddwata 06-07-2007 03:48 PM

Rattle can and two part foams are pretty unreliable from my encounters with them.

My last use of two part went well though the following day it had deteriorated and was more the consistancy of Angel food cake. Had to tear it all out.

I have used pool noodles for years and they are hard to beat ;)

rye 06-07-2007 04:02 PM

hi
i use the shipping air bags, they come in all sizes and weigh next to nothing rye

Believe It 06-07-2007 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
pool noodles the only way to go. No easier way of matching the color scheme of your boat and keeping it a floating boat [8D] Ive had water up over the carb in my mono (thats alot of water) and the boat never tried going under :D

mrwazzo 06-07-2007 05:50 PM

Hi what are noodles and where do i get em from ?

Ron Olson 06-08-2007 12:09 AM

They're called Pool Noodles over on this side of the Big pond and are used by kids for more junk to put in a swimming pool. It is basically an expanded foam in lengths of about 6 ffet and in different shapes but mostly found as round like a tube. Some are solid while others can be hollow.
It helps to heat seal the ends of them with a propane torch but it has to be done carefully.
for those in the US looking for them, most department stores like Wal-Mart or even Dollar General carry them.
Another choice for smaller boats is to use foam pipe iinsulation.

Pushrod02 06-08-2007 06:15 AM

ORIGINAL: mrwazzo

There are just a stick of foam rubber. Use Google to find them over there, I got 938,000 hit when I just did it. Here's but one place that has them here, http://pooltoy.com/noodchairand.html .

Quicksilver1 06-08-2007 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: rye

hi
i use the shipping air bags, they come in all sizes and weigh next to nothing rye

I almost went the same route, but one problem, what if the boat catches fire or things just get really hot, like a short in your wiring? Those little bags would melt so fast. I seriously did ponder that idea for a while, but it worries me a bit. I've had two fires and after both I was glad I had foam.
bah, it's giving me flashbacks, nothing I hate more than a dead boat with smoke billowing out dead on the lake.

p.s. you could also get pipe insulation, which basically is a smaller pool noodle with a slit cut down the side, home depot has them, saw a guy buying em yesterday. Theyre for copper pipe btw.

martno1fan 06-08-2007 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: mrwazzo

poundland have them for yup a pound each in yellow pink orange and red .or use pipe insulators from B&Q they cost 48 p each :D.