RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Boat Paint (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/6868756-boat-paint.html)

fuelman8 01-07-2008 01:23 PM

Boat Paint

Is there a special paint and clear coat that is used by any of you builders?:eek:

crazy maxx 01-07-2008 01:34 PM

RE: Boat Paint

idk about clear but i just use regualr spraypaint

if you wana do a custom design
alot of the boaters have custom graphics made.
i am having a custom set of graphics done.
paint scrathces real easy so if u decide to paint u better store your boat in a safe place.

webdr 01-07-2008 03:01 PM

regular spraypaint still falls into categories.

Acrylic and Lacquer

I use lacquer because you can apply multiple coats quickly without worrying about it wrinkling. Acrylic will wrinkle when another layer is applied UNLESS you apply within 45 minutes or wait several days for the paint to fully dry.

Clearcoat; I use duplicolor clear lacquer, and with all lacquers, let it dry somewhere well ventilated or youll be high with a headache![:@]

Mr.Freeze 01-07-2008 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've used single stage acrylic enamel auto paint with great luck but if you want to get crazy go base coat clear coat.

coyv10 01-07-2008 10:47 PM

I use auto air colors from automotive paint stores many different candies,pearls etc. and its water based can mix all then clear coat it. I have come up with some crazy effects.

misshydro 01-08-2008 12:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use automotive paints on my boats base coat clear coat. I get my paints at NAPA stores.They sell them. I use the crossfire system.Spray paints,the nitro and gas will eat it up. So automotive paint is your best bet.

fuelman8 01-08-2008 05:31 AM

Thanks for the info.

I'm told that a primer needs to be applied over the epoxy used to seal the boat.

Can I use enamel primer?

Tony

misshydro 01-08-2008 10:37 AM

Fuelman! Is that paint on your boat factory?? If so and the boat dont need any bodywork,just seal it. You can buy a spray sealer in a spraypaint can! Works very well.Made by Dupli-color and it's only 5 a can and use there primer too.[8D]

fuelman8 01-09-2008 05:09 AM

The boat is an Easy Vee from Zipkits. I have both coats of sealing epoxy applied and want to start painting it in the next week.

I'll check and see if Dupli-Color has the colors I need and use thier primer also if it's not a problem using it on the epoxy base.

I don't have the equipment to mix and spray, so it will have to be rattle cans.

Tony

LtDoc 01-09-2008 09:57 AM

fuelman8,
The only thing really 'special' about the paint I tend to use most is that it's available locally and doesn't 'eat' whatever I put it on. I think I've tried most of the available local stuff and have had the best luck with 'Krylon' paints. Lots of variation in those 'local' and 'available' thingys so guess it just depends on you and where you live. If there's any -one- especially 'right' paint, I just haven't found it yet (and we probably ain't got it here anyway).
The best preventive advice is to try it on whatever you happen to want to cover -first-. But then you miss out on all that sanding if it doesn't work 'right'...
- 'Doc

misshydro 01-10-2008 01:50 AM

Fuelman?? Is that epoxy resin your talking about?? If so you can use laqure primer on it.Put two light coats on it first before you put a heavy coat on it.Then after you prime it and the finish is prefict then you should spray sealer before you apply the paint.[8D]

fuelman8 01-10-2008 04:57 AM

Thanks for all the info guys:)

Misshydro, yeah it's ZAP finishing resin.

I'll make sure I use a test piece to paint on first. I hope it looks as good as your boats do.

Tony