RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   1/4 Scale Chris Craft Runabout.... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/747898-1-4-scale-chris-craft-runabout.html)

NemisusDM 05-05-2003 11:58 PM

1/4 Scale Chris Craft Runabout....

Hey Guy's
I'm interested in building a 1/4 scale Runabout Barrleback or Triple Decker. I'm looking to make a weedeater boat and a hull about 60-72". I don't plan on racing just some relaxing fun on the lake. Where can I find plans, hull, scale hardware etc.... any information

Thanks,
Darwin

RobStagis 05-07-2003 11:37 AM

At that size, I'd work from builder's plans for the original, I think. Check WoodenBoat Magazine or maybe check around and see if Dumas' kits provide patterns you could scale up...

Whatcha gonna do with this thing? That's big enough to toss a kid into ;)

Ron Olson 05-08-2003 03:02 AM

There used to be a 1/4 scale weedeater powered boat advertised in RCBM a few years back, I'll see if I can find the Ad. It isn't quite what you are looking for but there isn't a whole lot of Chris Crafts made in that size.

NemisusDM 05-10-2003 11:31 PM

Big Chris Craft

Hey Guy's,
I called up Dumas and they will sell me the plans and instructions for their 1/8th scale boats. I will order them and blow them 2X size at Kinko's. I hope they have a BIG scanner and paper....LOL Worst case I can go in sections.

PS: At this size I could toss a kid in and use a trolling motor with a marine battery and send him to the good parts of the lake for some big bass. :D

Thanks, for the help

RC-Archer 05-16-2003 08:23 PM

R/C Boat Modeler used to have plans for a "Century SeaMaid" that was 1/4 scale and used an old Olessen (sp?) motor which is about the same size as a weedeater motor. I've got the plans but I seem to have heard that the plans were pulled to be updated if they haven't already. Might give them a call and see if you can get a copy.

I just pulled my Century out of storage to finish the boat and the thing is huge! 55" long and probably about 22" wide. Powered by a Ryobi 4-stroke engiine.

Now does anybody know where I can find 1/4 scale deck fittings like bowlights, cleats, flag holders, etc?

WorldModelNut 11-03-2003 09:09 PM

RE: 1/4 Scale Chris Craft Runabout....

Guys;

I'm new to this list but not new to Chris Crafts and boating full size and models. Let me tell you what I am doing right now and see if there is any interest. I am a researcher/restorer/judge of pre-war Chris Crafts. I specialize in the Barrel Backs and own a 1940 19'. Currently we are restoring a 1939 19' Barrel in the shop to Lake Tahoe Show condition. In the process we are drawing the entire boat and all details in CAD so that the boat can be reproduced if wanted. Here is my question. Is there interest for a 1/4 or 1/3 etc museum scale plans to build a model? I'm not talking about the junk Dumas puts out, which by the way is not very scale in line or construction. I'm talking about the real deal with full-scale lines and full-scale construction etc. I personally want to do this and was hoping to actually produce a laser cut kit. If there was interest then that might make things easier. We would be able to do other models in the future. Possible the 1936 19' Racer, 1940 23' triple, etc. Having the original full scale I could not bring myself to finish the Dumas because it was so wrong.

Comments.

Don Ayers

Kmot 11-04-2003 01:13 AM

Hi Don! I would be very interested in obtaining a set of those plans.

Tom

Haoleman 11-04-2003 01:28 PM

Hi Don,

I personally would be interested in such a kit. I have only built a few boats and it is a pain in the butt on smaller ones dealing with all the compound curves as the wood is still full scale. It would be great to have a good size kit including all fittings or at least a good shopping list on where to get all the rest of the parts that don't come with the kit as this seems to be one of the biggest deterrents to building something like this.

Thanks,
Terry Neumann

NemisusDM 11-04-2003 05:28 PM

Hey Don,
I would be VERY interested in a kit like that. The propulsion system that I've been working on is essentially a weedwhacker with a trolling motor prop. Now to put that in a boat would be even better......lol

Kmot 11-04-2003 11:51 PM

http://www.vipcharts.com/sgcraft/index.html

WorldModelNut 11-06-2003 09:21 PM

Thx for the reply and the interest.

As you know producing a museum scale model will be quite an undertaking. I'm just in the planning stage and it will be next year sometime before I actually can make anything, but hang in there. For those of you that would like to read up on Chris Craft Barrel Backs I invite you to go to my website. Just click on 1939-42 19' Customs. There you will see some of my published research. I have seen that S&G 1/4 scale thing and its no Chris Craft much less a Barrel Back so I'm not to impressed. I tried to call Dumas once to help them out on their designs but they were not interested in real scale.

The biggest thing that makes me nervious is the hardware. I don't know jack about how to do that. I have the benefit of having the full size piece but have no clue how to it a 1/4 version of it. Anybody know how to do that right?

Thx

Don

Kmot 11-07-2003 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: WorldModelNut

For those of you that would like to read up on Chris Craft Barrel Backs I invite you to go to my website. Just click on 1939-42 19' Customs. There you will see some of my published research.
And that website would be where??

WorldModelNut 11-08-2003 10:56 PM

Oops!!!

Sorry about that.

www.barrelback.com [link=http://www.barrelback.com]barrelback[/link]

torpedox 11-09-2003 02:33 PM

Hi don, I would be very interested in a set of plans,! sounds like a great project. Good luck!

TorpedoX

darriel 12-05-2003 08:31 AM

Don,

Your right. The 'S&G Craft thing' is not a Chris Craft. It's a 1/4 scale replica of a 17' 1942 Century Barrelback. It was photographed and painstakingly measured in a boatyard in Meredith, NH. The measurements were then transfered to a CAD system where a laser-cut kit was developed.

A lot of work went into attempting to fill a gap in the model kit sector. Please don't be so quick to dismiss it....

S&G Craft has 1/4 scale fittings for the model as well as other fittings for anyone interested.

Dave
S&G Craft

Obctg 12-23-2005 04:33 PM

don, id be very interested in the plans. i loved being on my uncles CC runabout. thANX!!