RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Sorta a beginner (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/7649304-sorta-beginner.html)

Dawman 06-22-2008 08:41 PM

Sorta a beginner

Hi , I have had boats in the past and all were RTR boats . Except two years ago I bought this Dumas Hot Shot 7.5 boat that was prebuilt and I just had to put my servos and radio in , no big deal . Well last year I had to sell it due to I was injured at work and so on .

Now , my buddy`s son gave me this Dumas H.S. 3.5 boat that he got used . It needs some TLC as it has a crappy paint job and there are a few sections on a top piece of wood that needs glued . I plan to sand the boat down to the wood .

Here come the questions ;

What glue do I use ? Regular wood glue or is there a special glue to use ? Next , after it is sanded and glued what do I use to seal it ? Do I need to seal it before painting ? Also after noticing the wear on the bottom of my old 7.5 I plan to put some fiberglass resin and mesh on the bottom of the hull to keep the wood from cracking apart like it did on the 7.5 model . Also plan to do the same on the back where the engine mounts for extra strength . Would it be a good idea to put just the fiberglass resin all over the boat to seal it ? Now after this is all figured out and done , do I need a special paint ? Or can I use the Parma , Pactra , Spaz Stix , or Kustom Kolor paints I use for my RC cars ? Now the engine . I know it is for a 3.5 engine but is there a problem putting a 7.5 engine on the boat ? I know it`s a lot more engine but after a while my 7.5 boat just didn`t seem fast enough and think the 3.5 boat would be a rocket with a 7.5 engine . I really want to put a 7.5 engine on it and wonder if anyone has done this before .

I really appreciate an help !

Dan S 06-22-2008 09:16 PM

RE: Sorta a beginner

Don't use regular wood glue,
glue the pieces with a good 30 min (minimum) epoxy glue (like west system or any another good brand, not lepage epoxy).

you can also use epoxy to seal your boat, use an old credit card and spread it thin and even, works great.
do one to 3 coats (2 may be enough) you may have to lithely sand in between coats, not too much.

the 7.5 would be too much for the HS 3.5, the boat is already a hand full with the 3.5

K&B made a few different versions of there 7.5 and 3.5 and your last 7.5 may have been an early version (older version) that would be a reason why it didn't seemed that fast.
if you can get an late 3.5 (newer version) with the 13mm crank vice the 12mm it will be plenty for power.

Dan.

Dawman 06-22-2008 09:24 PM

Dan , thanks for the info . with the 3.5 engine , how do I know it has the bigger crank ? I was looking at this http://www.mecoa.com/kb/89/8907-exp.pdf and can you just put a bigger crank in ? Need any bigger bearing ? Also what do you think about painting it ? Will my car paints work or do you recommend something else ?

Dan S 06-22-2008 09:36 PM

as you can see on the exploded view the 8906 is the older engine and the 8907 would be the most recent.

if you were to get an older 3.5 with the 12mm crank and wanted to converted to a 13, you would need to replace the crank, the rear bearing and the front housing.

as for paints, I don't know.
sorry, but painting is not my domain and I leave this to those who really know how too and what to use.

Check with Misshydro on this site, she knows her paint, I believe she mentioned PPG at one time.

Dan.

Dawman 06-22-2008 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Dan S

Check with Misshydro on this site, she knows her paint, I believe she mentioned PPG at one time.

Dan.

PPG as in automotive paint ?

Dan S 06-22-2008 09:48 PM

I believe so,

again, check with her.

she's the pro when it comes to painting, there are other people but she's the only one I can think of at the moment.

Dan.

Dawman 06-22-2008 10:34 PM

Do you know anything about the K&B 3.5 model 8935 ? Seen it has a little more H.P. and RPM .

misshydro 06-23-2008 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok Dan S got a hold of me about your questions. Ok its wood,you would need to epoxy seal it then sand it and prime it sand the primer with 400-600 wet sand,then use a paint sealer on it,this will lock any minute scratches down plus anybleed threws too. I use Duponts NASON paint line and also NAPA's crossfire system, there good and save you in the walet too. I'd used PPG too. You need to use automotive paints that you use with a spray gun.There catalized/has hardners in them,this helps protected agaist UV rays and nitros&gas spills,But you should wipe them off if you spill any on the paints. If you spray paint them the gas or nitro will lift the paint in a hartbeat!!![:@] Plus you cant beat that show room finish you get using automotive paints! I use a base coat clear coat urothanes paint systems.:) Be doing autobody&paint for a somtime now.Heres some of my boats. The Oberto I won 1 place in a R/C show.[8D]

Dawman 06-23-2008 03:42 PM

Ok, thanks for the info ! Nice boats you have there .

Dan S 06-23-2008 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Dawman

Do you know anything about the K&B 3.5 model 8935 ? Seen it has a little more H.P. and RPM .
that is there SS version, same engine but air cooled. Also has a tune pipe/muffler on it thats what giving the extra .2 hp and the extra RPM's.

There are quite a good number of guy's that uses the K&B for racing, they use the power head and replace the lower unit with a lawless unit and then they add a good tune pipe.

makes some wicked Tunnels.

Dan.