RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Choosing a radio set (RC Boats) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/7680969-choosing-radio-set-rc-boats.html)

ShowstopperCat 07-01-2008 04:08 AM

Choosing a radio set (RC Boats)

Need some help choosing a (STICK radio) with module - That wont loosing connection with my boats due to rooster tails blocking frequencies - I was thinking DX6i would be perfect choice but unfortunatley have been told by many Aust. hobby stores that sprecktrum radios aren't any good for this reason. please help

Dan S 07-01-2008 09:45 AM

RE: Choosing a radio set (RC Boats)

Showstopper,

don't worry about the rooster tail.

Now for the radio, there is a good number of threads on the go about this subject.
about Spectrum, there are a few people that have had good results with theirs but the majority says otherwise. There is one person (I think its on this site) that had a spectrum in one boat and was working fine, decided to buy 3 more for his other boats......none of them worked properly (loss of signal).

The Spectrum is a great radio for on and off road use but not for water use.

I would recommend the 2.4 Ghz Futaba FASST system, zero problems.

Spectrum is looking at coming out with something new that will no longer have that problem, but when??????

Both system are 2.4Ghz
with spectrum when interference/loss of signal occurs it looks for and switch frequency, however the time it takes to do it your boat went into fail safe and has stopped.

Futaba uses frequency hopping, if interference/loss of signal occurs it is done so quickly that you don't even see it.

Dan.

ShowstopperCat 07-01-2008 04:42 PM

Thanks Dan!- i have also been suggested to consider Optic6 with a module

Dan S 07-01-2008 06:18 PM

I believe that Optic 6 is by Hitec, never used it but it is only an FM system.

Try see if you can fix your problem first, I changed my FM system only because I kept having problems in the Gas boat and the FASST system cured it.

Dan

ShowstopperCat 07-01-2008 06:31 PM

do you know where that Rc radio thread is ????

Dan S 07-01-2008 06:36 PM

double post

expat flyer 07-02-2008 02:42 PM

I'd recommend the Spektrum DX6 (now replaced by the even better DX6i).

I've not had any glitches in two years, except when the boat battery has been close to dead and a digital servo sucked the voltage down.

Loads of problems with thearlier DX3 and single antenna modules in a Hitec. That system just did not work at certain orientations or when a sailboat cut the line of sight between transmitter and boat. I was told that a remote antenna extension for the receiver would solve the problem, but why bother when the DX6 came along.

I find my Spektrum transmitters are less likely to suffer from connector failures than my mates' Futaba FASSTs - they're very fragile if shaken, bumped or dropped the battery connector gives up easily. Have lost the antenna sleeve though, not too serious.

Jerry