RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Kyosho Jet Stream 800 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/7799663-kyosho-jet-stream-800-a.html)

oxide80 08-02-2008 08:48 AM

Kyosho Jet Stream 800

I have an "Old School" Kyosho Jetstream 800 electric boat, pretty much stock except the dual 360st motors and dual 1200 Mah batteries option that was added when it was built. It has Futaba radio/electronics (still original equipent) The Kyosho speed table sticks in the second "gear". It was recommended to convert it it a digital speed controler. Is that possible using the rest of the electronics or do I need to upgrade the entire thing? If so any suggestions?

sportygreg 08-02-2008 10:17 AM

RE: Kyosho Jet Stream 800

Sure,just get a EVX or HPI ESC for dual motors and batteries-I'm putting a EVX in an old Wildcat that had a mechanical 2 speed servo control.[8D]

oxide80 08-06-2008 11:57 AM

How does this work, does it take the place of both the servo and speed controller? Does the futaba reciever plug right into the new digital speed controller?. I was looking at the EVX, and that is how it appreaded to work. Just curious before I purchase anything. Second Questions is how far can I push this speed controler before meltdown? Im running 2 old Kyosho 360ST. How much faster motors will work with this speed controler? Thanks for your help

n.h.schmidt 08-06-2008 03:58 PM

Hi Guys
The esc will plug into just about any modern receiver that uses the J plug (nearly all do nowadays). There are much better escs than the EVX to use for boats. Cheaper too. The RC hydros escs are as good as it gets. The Astro 212D and 207D are are also first rate .All will easily run your twin motors and more if desired. All of these are water proofed . The RC hydros is still being made ,I don't if the astros stiil are. Almost forgot, the Jetti navy 60 will also work great. I have used them all and still do. I have some used ones for sale if interisted. All will give you a very smooth control and probably a little more speed too. n.h.schmidt

oxide80 08-06-2008 07:11 PM

Hey thanks for the Information, I think the boat has "j" plugs, its a 13 year old Kyosho with the same age Futaba Controller/Servos. I'll Look into it to see if it has that connection. How much would you want for one of your used ones? I'm looking to possably start gathering parts for my winter project.

n.h.schmidt 08-07-2008 01:38 PM

I have a Astro Flight 212D I would sell for $50. There are a few new Astro Flights on ebay starting at $79.00. Not bad for new and a very good boat esc. n.h.schmidt

sportygreg 08-07-2008 06:03 PM

I have a Jeti navy 600 but am using the EVX because I want the reverse option-no reverse on Jeti or astroflight.The EVX is also prewired for 2 batteries and 2 motors.The other ESC's mentioned are fine controls but no reverse and you have to make your own series wiring to use them and EVX has built in BEC to run the receiver.[8D]

n.h.schmidt 08-08-2008 11:53 AM

Hi
The Astro 212D also has bec .So does some of the RC Hydros escs. Some of these controllers have Opto Isolation. This vastly improves the radio glitching problems often experienced with some radio types. Most people I run with wouldn't use the connectors that come on the EVX anyway. Way too likely to melt under a good load. I mostly use Deans connectors . Finally all the controllers are sealed against water. I have witnessed some get bothered with water but,once dried out they are back to running. No smoke n.h.schmidt

oxide80 08-08-2008 04:45 PM

Thanks for the info, I guess these RC have come along ways in the past 10-15 years. I'm going to put the boat on the back shelf for now. But atleast I have a starting point if I decide to rebuld it. All of the epoxy holding motor mounts down and everything else has broken free same as the output shaft. Hull is still in very good shape, only a few scratches and chips in the base coat/clear coat paint job, but its going to a tear down and rebuild. Might be worth while to convert to direct drive/seperate rudder and nitro power...

oxide80 07-10-2009 02:05 PM

Well I have tried decided to get the Jetstream 800 up and going, at least for the rest of the summer, I'm going to try a Traxxas EXV-2 ecs and a pair of matching fancooled Titan 550's, since the boat is already equiped with the dual motor 1 to 1.5 gear box. This is only going to be a temporary set up and in the fall/winter convert it to brushless direct drive and put in a new seperate drive and rudder. I bought the stuff on ebay used and cheap. they are out of 16.8 volt E-maxx truck and not water cooled, but I plan on building an aluminum water cooled block to mount the ecs to and seperate cooling coils for the motors. If it burns up, owell as I said i plan doing an 100% overhaul this winter. Any input on if this is worth the effort? or anything else I should change?

Thanks

sportygreg 07-10-2009 02:23 PM

The EVX and Titans should work fine-EVX has thermal shutdown if things get too hot.The EVX2 should also be waterproof like the one I use.I agree with using Deans connectors-I use them on all my models.Just make sure gear mesh is correct and grease the shaft so there is no binding.

oxide80 07-10-2009 04:24 PM

Thanks Greg for the info, I've been messing with a few RC stuff over the past year, but don't have alot of time to dedicate to it since i have a busy job and a family, As i said it will probably be a temporary set up until refurb the entire boat or just start from scartch with something new. Any Ideas on what prop I should try?

sportygreg 07-11-2009 11:13 AM

If you still have the stock prop try it and see what speed you get and how hot the motors get.The Titans have more torque so you may be able to go with a slightly larger prop.With a dual motor and gear reduction you might be able to go as big as a 50mm prop like some of the Robbe and Graupner boats used to use[hydroplane and systems cat].

oxide80 07-11-2009 08:12 PM

Thanks greg for your help, I'll keep you posted on how it works out. I'll know in a few weeks after I get it together and tested, now its just waiting for time to get it together and money to buy a 2 new batteries, since my 18 year old 1200 mAh's and 1500mAh's are junk!!!

oxide80 07-25-2009 09:53 AM

I got my EVX-2 ESC and the 21 turn titan's truck motors installed yesterday, Only running 2 7.2volt 3600 mHa batts, (This winter i'll get 2 8.4 5000 mah) It does spin alot faster than with the stock Kyosho motors, I still have the stock prop for now, I'll buy a few to try. I did try in in my sons kiddy pool and I almost launched it out of the pool. A few more adjustments to the drive shaft and I think it will be ready to go. Monday I 'll take it to the lake and try it out.

oxide80 07-27-2009 01:40 PM

I went for the 1st sea trail today with the old Jet Stream 800, the titan 550's from an Traxxas E-maxx truck and twin 3600 mHa 6 cell batts really woke the boat up, No idea how fast it was going, but it was coming completely airborn in the slightly choppy lake. After about 30 seconds of WOT the boat's bow got some air and it flipped, capsizing upside down. By the time I got to it, there was only 8 inches of bow still afloat. My reciever is shot, but once I get it going I'll try to get a better judgement of speed. It apears to be about double of what it did before and i still have the stock prop.

oxide80 07-30-2009 10:45 PM

Got evrything dried out, and shifted my batteries forward to keep the nose down. I add a 47 mm glass-filled prop and added cooling coils to both motors. My guess it goes about 25 MPH on fresh batteries. For 50 bucks it was worth the effort. Thanks for everyones help.