RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   epoxy dangers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/8446449-epoxy-dangers.html)

hansvonpensch 02-06-2009 06:43 PM

epoxy dangers

I was told not to let epoxy touch my hands or it could lead to a rash, and if you breath epoxy to much it would turn your lungs to rubber, any advise, Randy

tail strike 02-06-2009 07:07 PM

RE: epoxy dangers

Yes you can develop an allergy to epoxy, but I think (depending on the person) that people that are exposed to it over a period of years.
I always wear latex gloves when using epoxy.

I am no expert on the subject, but I did stay at a Hotel Expres last night.
Larry S

Kmot 02-06-2009 07:31 PM

Lemon juice is hazardous to some people too. :eek:

If you get wet epoxy on your hands, wipe it off with a rag soaked with rubbing alcohol.

There are too many ninny's in this world decrying everything under the sun as being "hazardous". Sheesh........ [:@]

Like Larry said, "I am no expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night" hahahahaha!!! :)

Broken Wings 02-06-2009 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Lemon juice is hazardous to some people too. :eek:

If you get wet epoxy on your hands, wipe it off with a rag soaked with rubbing alcohol.

There are too many ninny's in this world decrying everything under the sun as being "hazardous". Sheesh........ [:@]

Like Larry said, "I am no expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night" hahahahaha!!! :)
HeHeHeHe......

Erit 02-06-2009 09:20 PM

I was told the frequency from your radio could cause you to go impotent . And severe brain loss using 2.4 , but the signal would not be inturupted at all .

Ed[:-]

Habaneroe 02-06-2009 11:20 PM

Dunno about epoxy but I know a guy who can't go near CA anymore as exposure it basically gave him a form of asthma and even put him in the hospital at one point.

Jamming 02-06-2009 11:53 PM

Glued my bum to the chair one night. When i got up it ripped a hole in my pants. The biggest danger was my wife ! If you use it everyday you should wear a resperator, It can cause some short term breathing problems, And the combination of chemicals can destroy the oils in your skin causing irratation. But breathing it is by far the most dangerous effect from epoxy. When in doubt use PPE.

toesupwa 02-07-2009 12:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Erit

And severe brain loss using 2.4 , but the signal would not be inturupted at all .

Uhhh.. what concrete?... it doesnt smell!...

bondobuster 02-08-2009 11:35 PM

When using any product with a high concentration of VOC's ( volotile organic compounds) it is advisable to always use protection. Now when the product is catalyzed and the curing procedure starts this is when a high concentration of isocyanates are released and these are what really will get to you. Again use precautions when using these products. Some people have a lower threshold to these chemicals and will react quicker than others when exposed to them. Use protection.......

Gerwin Brommer 02-09-2009 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From a German guy, few weeks ago, still not cured :

Rafael23cc 02-09-2009 12:00 PM

I could beleive all this "warnings" if we were talking CA. But EPOXY?

There are chemicals far more dangerous than epoxy in your bathroom cabinet. And you apply them you your bare skin every day.

Of course helis do not require as much glue as airplanes do, so my exposure levels are not that high. I do assemble and scratch build planes occasionally.

Rafael

cyclops2 02-09-2009 07:50 PM

If you are unlucky and are very sensitive to epoxy. Your lungs will look like the guys hand. Some only need a few contacts. Others it never bothers.

Modelers have been found gasping for air in a reaction while using it. Fast trip to the Emergency Room is needed.

Or use a FULL FACE resperiator from Lowes or H D for about $ 25. Worthit ? YES.
They have screw on filters for everything we use.

Edit......Not all damage is reverseable in everyone ,each time.