RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   A Bad Day At The Lake (a$$hole At The Park) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/852899-bad-day-lake-%24%24hole-park.html)

hifonixs 06-11-2003 02:55 AM

A Bad Day At The Lake (a$$hole At The Park)

Someone's boat lost control for a sec and went near some birds and this guy flipped out and called the cops . The next day he came back and really went So i sent this email to the town and county executive. Got some great feed back

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello, I have been running my r.c boat in the little lake next to Babylon town hall for a couple of years now and never have I had a problem. There are also a few people who run there too. Everybody is real responsible and make sure not to bother and wild life or people around the area. I go in the water and clean the trash out on a weekly basis and have saved many birds that have been abandon or hurt. I am also the head of S.C.M.B.A. (suffoulk county model boat assoc.) so I know the rules of running an r.c boat. I was bothered yesterday by a rude man who was swearing in front of the little kids that were watching us. The guy called the cops and when they came they said the guy was out of line. And there was nothing the police could do for him since we were not bothering anything or anyone. So today I went there and the guy came just to bother me. Again the cops were called and said he was out of line and that if he bothered my again he would be arrested. Now I have enforcement telling me that I am in breach of a code. I was wondering which code it was since I can’t find it. Also, is there some permit I need to make everyone happy? I have a beach pass. I also own a boat marina in Copiague and also live in the same town. Please contact me as soon as possible and shine some light in this matter.

Thank you,
Joe Jensen

75Blazer 06-11-2003 03:00 AM

What feed back have you gotten?

RcBoatLover 06-11-2003 03:04 AM

There is a city park that I take my boats to. It's great because it's close to my house and it's on my way home from work. It's shaped like a kidney and us boaters try to stay on the one side leaving the other for people to fish. Even though the other side is larger and has a dock, people still come over to our side and try to fish. Last week a guy freaked out on me because I was scaring the fish away. I was there first, and he and his son walked a few feet away from me and cast in their lines! I should have been the one yelling at him!

After that I found a large retention pond and decided to try it. I had to walk my gear a long way to get to it, but I figured it would be worth it if I didn't have to worry about other people. After a few minutes on running I saw a guy and his two kids walking towards me. Dam they had fishing poles! As they walked past me, the guy said it would be OK to keep running my boat, as long as I kept it to the one side. As he said this he pointed to a area where the pond got really small. The rest of the water was to be theirs! Wow! Was he kidding! I was there first. I don't mind sharing, but not if someone going to be like that. I was actually about to leave when he got there, but after his comment I had to stay awhile longer just to piss him off. I didn't run it the postage stamp area that he pointed to, but I did give them plenty of room to fish.

Does any one elce have these problems? Also do you think a prop would cut through fishing line, or would it just wrap around it?

hifonixs 06-11-2003 03:19 AM

fishing line killer

the best way to cut some a-holes fishing line is a razor sharp prop and to silicone all your thrust washers making sure its good and tight to the strut .

RcBoatLover 06-11-2003 03:25 AM

Cool! I was just kidding though. I realy don't want to loose the ability to run my boat at local ponds so I try to ignore them. Trust me it's not easy!

Ron Olson 06-11-2003 03:26 AM

I'm lucky enough to have plenty of ponds near my house so that if one is too crowded I can go to another. Most people don't have this luxury. If there is a noise complaint, I pack up. If there is too much wildlife on the pond I go elsewhere. I have had trouble with fishermen also. We were at a retention Lake running our boats when a Fisheman decided that he wanted to fish right where we were running at. Some of his Buds showed up and he was trying to be a smart-ass trying to throw his lures right where we were running. He was then threatening us under his breath to some others in our group while myself and another were retrieving a dead boat. We luckily had a permit to run there from the Dept. of Natural Resources, known as a Regatta Permit. Yup, it is good for Bass Tournies, Sailboat races, Waterskiing Comp and even us! With this, we have the Blessing of the DNR but we do not have any exclusive rights to the water and no one can *****. We found out that because we set up an informal course on the Lake that we had to have the Permit.
I myself wouldn't mess with the "Anus" because if he did snag your boat it could mean trouble. Some people are just that way, they don't like to see anyone having fun.

MikDee 06-11-2003 03:58 AM

Hey hifonics, I'm a former Long Islander living near Middletown now,,, but I come back occassionally to visit my friend in Amityville, can I come & play boats with you sometime???,,, Mike D.

P.S. My friend Ron & I noticed that nice lake at the town hall, we were wondering if we could run our boats there?,,,

hifonixs 06-11-2003 02:20 PM

well i talked to the state and the town we are allowed to run the boats there but we have to wait 2 weeks to let things cool down

Ron Olson 06-11-2003 03:31 PM

Two weeks? That blows! We don't have enough good weather as it is and 2 weeks takes a chunk out of the running. Maybe you can find a better place to run in the meantime.

Doubledog 06-11-2003 05:28 PM

Try being stationed in Hessen, Germany !

I give a what anyone has to say complaining to me. I've experienced it first hand and can say this area is freakin' rediculous.

Cactus. 06-12-2003 03:58 PM

we did run small electric hydros one time at a village pond, some litle old dear came along and told us not to bother the swans, which didnt even bother turning around to see what we were.

same at a local club which got kicked off a hude tidal pool because of the birds. dont know about what you see, but a 90 boat goes screaming past, the birds just watch, a few twichers turn up ,they fly off.

we also ran on tuesday two ic boats on a small pond in a town which is for boating, it even says so on the gate post. normally its small electrics and yachts, but it was just us, and no one moaned, on old guy even helped me ( wasnt needed, he just held the boat, which meant it got thrown in the water slower when it did fire up :rolleyes: ) dont think it would be the same if the local guys had turned up to find a MDS 38 screaming round :D

GoldDuster 06-25-2003 04:08 PM

If there is one thing that makes me blow my cool is having some old fart try to run me off of MY pond while I am trying to relax and enjoy myself. I read the above experiences some of you shared about "outsiders".

The only thing that works best for me is being direct. When someone mutters something under their breath I ask them to repeat it or stop talking to themselves. You would be surprised how fast you can defuse and gain control of a situation by being the fuse.

If you are there first it's your pond until you are through. Be aggessive. Someone looking for a fight will find one if they pull that domination crap with me. Push around that goofy guy playing with his toy boat, I don't think so!!!!!!

Anytime some old gas bag tries to run me and my daughter off of the pond in my neighborhood that I pay for as part of my association fee for upkeep I tell them this:

This is not a retirement community and there are people here that still want to enjoy life. If you are so consumed with keeping me from enjoying myself before I become a dried up prune like you I suggest you get over it. There is a nice retirement community for you in Orlando. My grandparents still have the brochures and I can arrange for them to give you a tour. Let me know if you need help loading up the moving truck.

My response when they say the birds are being disturbed:

You mean those same birds that all over the dock that nobody can use now. Those same birds that weren't here until the developer dug this pond for the land fill your precious retirement house is sitting on? Screw the birds and those that keep feeding them that's why they are here now.

Ron Olson 06-25-2003 04:23 PM

It must have been 2 weeks now, so what is going on?
Try to see if your area State Wildlife, DNR or whatever you have there has a permit that you can get that will let you run there antime that you want to. What we use is a Regatta Permit, the same thing thast Sailng Clubs, Baas Tournies, Water Skiing Cpmetitions, etc. use. If anyone gives you any hassles, shove that into their face and tell them to French Kiss :D

GoldDuster 06-25-2003 04:40 PM

That was awesome Ron, I will definitely use that one next chance I get!

BillH223 06-25-2003 11:12 PM

Dont bother the birds? What would the little dear do if you took out a 12 gauge and blew her birds away?

Ron Olson 06-26-2003 02:25 AM

Bill, you don't want to find out. Here in Michigan they take a very grim view of shooting or injuring Wildlife out of season.
Example: A boat race was held on this side of the State that I attended when I first started racing. The CD's and other race Officials were watching out for every piece of driftwood and any other debris that wouldn't be able to be hit by a boat. A flock of Ducks came across the pond while a Gas hydro class was in mill time and before also. I yelled to the CD to warn them while some decided to run extremely wide on the course right through the flock. Several were injured and the host club tried to cover it up. They did it in front of the wrong people! My Buddies Father-in-law was a former DNR Officer and his wife decided to call not only the DNR but the Sheriff's Department. Needless to say, the Club got nasty fines from both and also lost their racing site! I have the incident on videotape, a copy of it was also sent to the IMPBA but not by me.

golf_lake 06-26-2003 08:44 AM

At the local we have a number a ducks were we run. A few slow close passes convince them to move out of harms way.

As for the fishermen, I have encounted a few A holes that think that they can come along and cast in front of where we run. I can tell you from first hand experience a Zenoah turning a sharpened prop @ 16,000+ rpm does not even notice a fishing line, much to their surprise.

I have also had positive interaction with them, there is plenty of space for all to do their thing, and secondly they have reported they catch more fish when we are there. This only goes to prove the problem ones are just plain arrogant di%$ heads.

GoldDuster 06-26-2003 12:23 PM

Originally posted by golf_lake
At the local we have a number a ducks were we run. A few slow close passes convince them to move out of harms way.

As for the fishermen, I have encounted a few A holes that think that they can come along and cast in front of where we run. I can tell you from first hand experience a Zenoah turning a sharpened prop @ 16,000+ rpm does not even notice a fishing line, much to their surprise.

I have also had positive interaction with them, there is plenty of space for all to do their thing, and secondly they have reported they catch more fish when we are there. This only goes to prove the problem ones are just plain arrogant di%$ heads.

I noticed that when I run any of my boats in the pond all the fish gather underneath the boats becuase they are curious. We have several Cat Fish about 2 feet in length that routinley follow underneath the boats when driven slowly. We feed them bread and they totally ignore the boats. We have never struck a fish because they are too quick(even the minnows).

As for the Ducks, they lazily move to the other side of the pond while we are running and have never had a problem. Sometimes they come to the shore and fuss at us for not feeding them though. :p

Will Sgarlat 06-27-2003 12:46 AM

An excellent discussion guys! I have had several interactions with fishermen with temperments ranging from friendly to tight-lipped hostile. Most have ended uneventfully because either I politely held my ground while holding full eye contact with the gentleman while briefly talking it over, or I picked up and left to go elsewhere. Fair's fair and I call my next move as the situation unfolds.

However, during the first week of fishing season, when the water was COLD and I was blasting around with my loud, .61 powered Dumas Swamp Buggy, it stalled kinda far out with a quartering offshore breeze! I could hear the mirthful sniggering all around me as I fitfully tried time after time to cast my fishing line all the way out there trying to get the dat blasted thing! It was pretty funny and I did finally get hold of it by tying more weight onto my line and wading out up to my armpits. I left there wet but pleased that I didn't have to leave the boat to their tender mercies while I dashed out to get my bud's canoe.

RcBoatLover 06-30-2003 03:00 AM

I went to the pond today and found a police man standing on the dock with the other boaters. Someone called and said we were bothering the fishermen! We are always respectful to everyone at the park, so this kinda pissed us off. The cop told us to stay out of their way so there wouldn't be any problems. Yeah real nice! So if someone casts their line in our way we can call the police too? He stood there for several minutes waiting to see us run the boats, but we just talked untill he left. I diden't want him to see how fast they went. :) I wonder how many calls it will take before they shut us down? I hope we don't find out!

Can the city tell us to stop with out making some kind of law against it? What can I do to prevent this from happening? I would like to talk to somebody about having certain days or times for running the boats, but I worrie that it will just add fuel to the fire.

Ron Olson 06-30-2003 04:32 AM

Go to a Parks and Recreation Dept. or a City Comission meeting. See the other things that I talked about in one of my earlier posts then you can tell the Cops what to Kiss also! Some Lakes have rules about maximum HP but you don't have to worry about that one unless it is only for unpowered boats. Don't forget, you are a Taxpayer too and have rights! Use muffled pipes to keep away from any noise ordinances. I've had the same hassles and have gotten around them legally. The Cops stop where we run so that their dogs can relieve themselves and have yet to have a problem with them. We have fishermen that don't hassle us either, we just stay away from their lines.

RcBoatLover 06-30-2003 05:01 AM

It's a medium sized pond in a city park, no other boats other that ours. Yes your right I pay taxes so they can stock the pond with fish!

Just so you guys know I'm not trying to bash all fishermen. I even had one help retrieve my boat tonight when my tennis ball wasn't doing the trick. I just don't care for the ones who think the pond is for their use only. Unfortunatly if we get kicked out I will be forced to protest their use of it too. I'm sick of tripping on used fishing line when I walk though the park, and those sharp rusty hooks flying though the air can be very dangerous!

Like I said, I would like to go to one of the meetings, but I don't want to bring up the issue if they don't already know about it. It might give them too much time to think about the liability if someome were to get hurt. I just want to make sure that I'm ready for them if the subject is addressed in the future.

Aeromarine 07-01-2003 09:07 PM

Hi Joe,
Your post caught my attention. What a great lake! It holds alot of memories for me as a kid because its where I learned how to drive with my father when I was about 14. You know how small it is (and bulkheaded!) we used to run .90's there! It taught you how to run a tight line boy. I remember a friend of mine ran right for the wall and lost radio and happend to run right down the 1' drain line on the wall!. Alot of memories, but we were kick out too. They actually posted "NO MODEL BOAT RUNNING" signs at one time. We went to the end of 231 or Argile lake. - I remember a guy fishing at Argile and screaming at us we were chasing away the fish. We'll my father told the guy, dont worry about it we'll drive the fish toward you, sure enough as soon as he said that the guy caught a fish and LOVED when we came back!
Good luck in the battle.
Remy Haynes Jr. -Aeromarine

Ron Olson 07-02-2003 03:03 AM

Remy, nice to see you in here! Let me know when you get that new Cat done, I want one! The little one that you showed me in Toledo. I was the guy there with the little .12 'rigger that you looked at.

T3Guy 07-04-2003 03:24 AM

You know you guys with the weedeater powered boats should just come real close to the fishermens boats and spray them with your 3-5ft. rooster tails on them when they start acting like little girls.But dont get me wrong I love to go fishing and I have more money invested in fishing gear then my rc's but i dont even own a rc boat but ive seen them and I love the way the scream across the water. But personally ive never had a problem with rc boats around where i was fishing. But if somebody did take a rc boat out where i was fishing I would sit there and watch you drive and retrieve it for you if something happend to it because I really hate people that complain about something to just complain.Well see yall later and remember if they complain just throw a roost on them then get the hack out of there.