RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   wood boat paint help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/8568139-wood-boat-paint-help.html)

justin_urke 03-11-2009 06:18 PM

wood boat paint help

i want to oil my wood boat then paint it with some sort of clear paint. what type of clear paint will look good work with the oiled body and seal up small cracks?

planebasher 03-12-2009 04:21 AM

RE: wood boat paint help

Stain it with Minwax Stain; your choice of color; then give it 4 or 5 coats of MinWax Spar Varnish; let it dry thoroughly between coats and polish with steel wool between coats; it will look like glass.

Dan S 03-12-2009 07:34 AM

Justin,

you have asked the same question twice and Jetpack gave you some good advice.
Planebasher has also given you a good way to do it.

if you oil the boat you won't be able to clear it.

Dan.

justin_urke 03-12-2009 09:01 AM

sorry for the dubbel question new to puting up forums.:D And thanks for the advice.

TCHedOff 03-12-2009 11:50 AM

Justin, Here is an option for you to check into.

Rockler.com (woodworking store) has pigments that can be mixed w/alcohol and applied, and then epoxied over. I dont know if they have one that that would acheive the same effect as an oil (to bring out the grain - I assume this is what you want), but I'm guessing they will. I just stained a .12 rigger a bright ruby red color and then epoxied over w/West Systems - worked great. It brought out the wood grain and is a rich color. Better, because the alchohol evaporates and only the pigment remains, it is much lighter in weight than painting.

misshydro 03-12-2009 05:46 PM

There are good pollyurothanes for wood that are good for stain colors.. They really bring out wood grains out.:) What kind of boat this is? Is it nitro ,gas or electric?[&:]

justin_urke 03-12-2009 06:11 PM

The boat i am building is and electric jet boat. its my first boat build and i want it to look good and the grain to stand out.:D

misshydro 03-13-2009 12:07 AM

Then use the out door pollyurothane clear... The last time I'd used it was in woodshop in my senior year of hightschool. That when pollyurothane first hit the market. I built a 10 foot round nose hydro form popular manchanic mag..Man it looked awsome..pollyurothane will be your best bet..

Hydro Junkie 03-13-2009 12:12 AM

If you're only after the grain to stand out, take a torch to the boat, just enough to hilite the grain, seal with epoxy and shoot with clear

TCHedOff 03-13-2009 10:30 AM

That FUNNY Hydro!! I had forgotten that technique (did it in H.S. woodshop on something that was made of pine). I'll have to use that again one day - it made the grain a dark brown/black color - pretty dramatic result for a piece of pine! And Miss Hydro is right about paoly's bringing out the grain too - tho most arent truly clear, and will result in a more amber color tone.

misshydro 03-13-2009 10:55 AM

There are some true pollyurothane clears out there.. But you could spray automotive urothane over the wood.. Thats been done too.. Just remember that how they do most to all electric guitars and other string insterments get sprayed like that..They spray them,they use colors&stains and shoot laqucers over them.. But now there getting away from laqucers and going to urothanes because of the eviromental factor..

justin_urke 03-13-2009 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i just bought some Grey Dyed Birdseye to cover my boat and will most likly just sray it with clear pollyurothane.;)