RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   painting Sea Queen. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/8579626-painting-sea-queen.html)

lownslo 03-15-2009 07:07 AM

painting Sea Queen.

I have a Sea Queen I am building, see Sea Queen Build...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8422330/tm.htm and I have a question about painting the hull. I am close to finishing applying the hull, with just the 2 hull sides to go.
*** My Question: The skins are listed at 1.5 mm thick, but using the calipers, they are 2 mm. or 1/16/" plywood. I have an "ample" coating of finishing resin inside with very close attention at the seams of the keel, stringers, and complete inner surface. I build my planes and this boat with close attention to glue joints. If I gave the outside surface, again an ample coating, with several and sanding between coats, will it be necessary to use fiberglass cloth on the hull? I have had WONDERFUL instructions from several guys on applying clothe, (I am a fairly experienced builder) , but I dread the thought of doing this cloth thing. The lakes I will be running my boat are typical "subdivision lakes/ponds" ..... free from debris. Beside that I HATE flying my planes OR running a boat in windy conditions. [X(][>:] (over 10 to 12 MPH in choppy water for boats).
Thanks in advance....
lownslo ...... Bob in Indy

STEVE MARSHALL 03-15-2009 07:15 AM

RE: painting Sea Queen.

1 Attachment(s)
Hey mate, I just paint mine with normal household gloss enamel with a couple of coats of clear. so far they have held up well. I just prime,sand, paint and no cloth apart from the seams on the inside.

lownslo 03-15-2009 08:12 AM

Steve,
Thanks for the quick reply from down under. This is good news for me because of my little experience with FG cloth ...... on MUCH smaller areas. (Strength for aircraft wing-half joining). I did not do well with the small strip .... but I am pretty pickey.
Not only did you say "no cloth and no problems" on your boats, ....... it looks like you have some "fast boats" with no problems. My Sea Queen will be a little slow since it is 46" and will be fairly heavy but sturdy.
I have a feeling some will say cloth is needed. I will listen to the reasons, but I sure hope it won't be needed.
Thanks again,
Bob in Indy

lownslo 03-15-2009 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to get an approximat weight for this big boy. I loaded the in progress boat, with all the parts on the scale except a few items.
This weight came to 11.5 lbs. The 12v battery weighs 5 lbs. I also have a bunch of small parts not on the scale. (window frames, accessories, lights, receiver, AND the weight of the finishing resin and paint on the hull and deck.
I estimate this will all come out to about 17 to 17.25 lbs. RTR. (approx. 7.75 kg).
lownslo
Bob .... in Indy

pompebled 03-15-2009 09:22 AM

Hi Bob,

Basically it all comes down to how tough the surface will be after painting; if you can make a dent with your fingernail, I'd add a layer of glass and epoxy, if it's hard enough with just a coat of epoxy, don't add glass.
Just keep in mind, it's a big heavy hull and the edges are fragile and dent easily, glass and epoxy add a lot of structural integraty.

The choice is yours.

Regards, Jan.

misshydro 03-15-2009 06:26 PM

If your using airplane plywood is good.. put two coats of epoxy over the hull and sand and prime it.. Then paint&clear it,then your fine.Dont add glass cloth because your adding more weight and thats no good..This is no different then race boats,scales hydros..They use 1/16 ply on the skins and brush or spray two-three coats of epoxy on the hulls.. Then sand them smooth fill in any voids&pin holes and prime it sand to paint&clear then your done..

planebasher 03-16-2009 03:38 AM

Here is what I do, since I have had no success with glass cloth either.

Use Z-Poxy finishing resin, thin just a little with denatured alcohol, then I make a squeege out of 1/8 rubber gasket material about the size of a credit card. Spread the resin on the bare wood; assuming you have sanded it smooth; squeege off as much as you can.

After the first coat cures, sand lightly and apply an additional coat, after it cures, lightly sand it smooth with 400 grit paper.

The wood will absorb the thinned epoxy and it will be almost as strong as if it were covered with 3/4 oz. cloth.

Then prime and paint; I use the Dupont Nason Polyurethane system; Primer, Base Coat, Clear Coat; it is expensive though; probably about 149.00 for your boat; one color; provided you have the spraying equipment; however; when you get it on you will think iit is fiberglass.

lownslo 03-16-2009 05:03 AM

To all ......
Thanks so much for your input. I feel I will go with no cloth and do a good job on the resin application. I was just affraid that my glassing job would be sub-par, and the rest of the boat is coming along fairly nice. Pompebled signs all his posts ......... "boaters are nice people":)
Need I say more?
lownslo,
Bob in Indy