RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Repainting a hull (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/8598907-repainting-hull.html)

Tidnab 03-20-2009 07:57 PM

Repainting a hull

1 Attachment(s)
I'm touching up a hull that already been painted.Do I just sand the old paint then paint over it or do I sand ,prime and then paint.Only doing in certain areas like the transom which has old hardware holes filled and the bottom which has nicks and scrapes.Had to put 1/4" plywood in the transom and have to put in the engine rails.Boat has not been run,but got scuffed up from storing and moving it,by previous owners I guess.

misshydro 03-20-2009 08:20 PM

RE: Repainting a hull

Well are you paint to repaint the whole hull,like color changing it?? If so just and it really good,I would wet sand it with 220,then prime it really good then wet sand it again with 400 grit wetsand paper then seal it then paint the base color then clear it.. I would use automotive urothanes paints.. I use NAPA's Crossfire system and Dupont NASON paint systems.. both are low cost paint systems and really saves you on your wallet too..Been using both paint systems for years now with no proublems..I do autobody&paint for aliving..[8D] Filling the holes I would use epoxy fillers/resons or fiberglass reson..On touch ups.. Just get some black paint and a good brush and brush touch the chips and repair the holes and spot paint that area in..but do it like I'd said sand it with 120 then wet sand that with 220.Then spot prime it then sand it with 400 and spot paint it black..You can use a airbrush or small touchup gun too.

Tidnab 03-21-2009 05:48 AM

I'll do like you said just spot fill ,prime and paint where the chips are .Most are on the bottom anyway.I'll have to do the whole transom as there are a lot of holes from the hardware that was on there and I'll have to restripe it.The boat has no rails in it or wood in the transom.The hardware was held by the thickness of the fiberglass only.I put 1/4" into it and have to cut some rails and glass them in.The hull got chipped a lot for never being run,probably from storing or moving.I guess I can't complain.I just paid $35.00 + shipping for it.

misshydro 03-21-2009 09:21 AM

what size is it??

Tidnab 03-22-2009 10:44 AM

It's 13" wide x 54" long.I still haven't found out the manufacturer or the name of the boat.Guess I'll have to give it a name myself.The guy I got it from is looking through all his emails to try to find the person he got it from and maybe find the original owner ,who should know some info about it.The other boat I'm working on is an 52"Eliminator,which was the last boat made by a guy on JRCBD when he had the mould for it.They're now owned by another guy whose working on them.Another guy who has a 47" version sells them www.comancherc.com