RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Is mixing nimids and nicads OK (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/9272391-mixing-nimids-nicads-ok.html)

hansvonpensch 11-22-2009 02:27 PM

Is mixing nimids and nicads OK

I was givin some nimid and nicad batteries, I have a 6 cell nimid pack and a 4 cell nicad pack I would like to run in series, will this work out, thanks, Randy.

cyclops2 11-22-2009 02:49 PM

RE: Is mixing nimids and nicads OK

IF ...I had them. MAYBE. Even if they are ALL the same marh. Say 800 mahr. The rate that they recharge could be very different. So could their discharge rate.

Safe answer for you is NO.
I have 50 years in the overall electrical & electronic fields. I would keep them seperate.

Keep them seperate.

Rich

cyclops2 11-22-2009 02:52 PM

Used is always a ....HUGE...guessing game. Different ages or heavy loads in the past make for ruining both packs a real risk.

mfr02 11-23-2009 05:46 AM

I would even be dubious about mixing different age cells i.e. taking "good" cells from two failed packs and building up one good pack.
The likelihood is that one or more cells will hold less charge than its mates, and will therefore discharge sooner. This results in that cell ceasing to be a source of power, as it tries to reverse charge and the entire pack appears to dump power having lost not only that cells voltage, but also its reverse charge voltage. The same scenario is also the root of the "NiCad memory" myth.

Dan S 11-23-2009 08:40 AM

NO,

you cannot mix NiCd and NiMh, they do not charge the same, they don't have the same voltage, and they don't discharge the same.

Do a quick Google search about mixing the two types together, you will find some excellent reading material.

Dan.

hansvonpensch 11-29-2009 08:35 PM

I should have said, they are both rated at 1.2 volts per cell and are both 4200ma.

mfr02 11-30-2009 08:33 AM

Although they share the same ratings, they have differing charge/discharge characteristics. These differences, at best, will create the right conditions for the memory myth to make itself felt. If they are at differing parts of their respective lifetimes, even more so.
Making up a pack to prove that something works as a temporary measure would work and be fairly harmless, but in the longer term, a proper pack is the answer.

Ghost in the shell 11-30-2009 01:36 PM

NEVER MIX BATTERY CHEMISTRY !!!!

not unless you want some interesting results and a damaged boat