RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Boating Contest (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/9376893-boating-contest.html)

Deathwish 01-01-2010 01:58 AM

Boating Contest

As i was reading the wooden boat mag. I came across a contest. The boat is bigger then a model but the lines and profile are about the same. Here are the detail's

Design Parameter's:
Must be trailerable for affordable launching,
Max beam 8', max length 40' (legal trailerable dimensions in many states)
Minimum length 24', stem to transom
Trailerable weight (with engine) should not exceed 3,500 pounds
Must burn less then 2 gallon's per hour (7.61/hr), maintaining a 10-knot cruising speed in a 2' (o.6m) chop and 15-knot breeze while carrying 800 lbs/362 kg (family of four). Favorable consideration will be given for continued efficient furl consumption and good sea keeping abilities at speeds in excess of 10 knots.
Must include at least Spartan overnight accommodations (berth's, head, gallery) for two adults and two kids.
Must be your own design and new.
Submissions should be the designer's original, previously unpublished work, and includes lines, profiles, section. table of offsets, accurate weight study, cost calculations, and performance. (All designs will remain the property of there designers.)
Submissions should be postmarked no later then April 20, 2010 and sent to

Design Challenge
WoodenBoat Magazine
P.O. Box 78
Brooklin, Me 04616 USA

The Award Is 1,000 to each of the first-place designs in wood, composites, and metal.

GOOD LUCK.

cheesewizz69 01-01-2010 09:56 AM

RE: Boating Contest

ORIGINAL: Deathwish

As i was reading the wooden boat mag. I came across a contest. The boat is bigger then a model but the lines and profile are about the same. Here are the detail's

Design Parameter's:
Must be trailerable for affordable launching,
Max beam 8', max length 40'' (legal trailerable dimensions in many states)
Minimum length 24'', stern to transom
Trailerable weight (with engine) should not exceed 3,500 pounds
Must burn less then 2 gallon's per hour (7.61/hr), maintaining a 10-knot cruising speed in a 2' (o.6m) chop and 15-knot breeze while carrying 800 lbs/362 kg (family of four). Favorable consideration will be given for continued efficient furl consumption and good sea keeping abilities at speeds in excess of 10 knots.
Must include at least Spartan overnight accommodations (berth's, head, gallery) for two adults and two kids.
Must be your own design and new.
Submissions should be the designer's original, previously unpublished work, and includes lines, profiles, section. table of offsets, accurate weight study, cost calculations, and performance. (All designs will remain the property of there designers.)
Submissions should be postmarked no later then April 20, 2010 and sent to

Design Challenge
WoodenBoat Magazine
P.O. Box 78
Brooklin, Me 04616 USA

The Award Is 1,000 to each of the first-place designs in wood, composites, and metal.

GOOD LUCK.
Something is not right with those specs.. I think it should read; Max beam 8', max length 40' Minimum length 24', stern to transom. When you consider the load requirments they list.

Deathwish 01-01-2010 02:36 PM

your right i type to fast sometimes and didn't check it. i edited and it's right. :) thank's for the reply.

Hydro Junkie 01-01-2010 03:20 PM

I see another possible mistake. Stern to transom says from back end to back end. Shouldn't it read BOW TO STERN/TRANSOM?

blizard05 01-01-2010 04:32 PM

Stern to transom??? How about "stem to transom"

Deathwish 01-01-2010 06:43 PM

I had someone reading it to me, so i think they said stern so that's what i wrote. :)