RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   WHY? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/9587356-why.html)

boatnut 03-16-2010 03:27 PM

WHY?

Why is it that a lot of newbies think they can set a speed
record with there first build? Don't they realize that ;</p>

1 Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?
2 That high speed for the inxperienced is dangerious..
3 A lot of their ideas have been tried with no good result.

I'm not saying it can't be done, trying something new is
what makes RCing interesting, but they need to do a lot
of research first. and learn the basics of control.
You would't jump into a NASCAR , and go for a speed record
and not know how to drive at that speed.
I do welcome all new people to learn and enjoy RC boating,
I just want to encourage them to learn by steps, so they would't get
discouraged and quit after one failed atempt.
We all have a had our share of failures, thats part of
RC boating. This forum is a fantastic source of info.
and we incourage you to ask questions.
I'm not trying to be demeaning, so please do not take it that way. Having this much fun must be illegal
</p>

Justaddwata 03-16-2010 04:08 PM

RE: WHY?

I think in large part that they just dont know what can and cannot be done. Until you start doing something - you dont know what to expect - so why not expect something incredible.

It is not till the first time you pull the trigger that you know how fast something will be/not be. Dangers, risks, skills required, etc are easily overlooked.

I feel bad at times when I try to be a reality check for new boaters - usually I will just try to steer them toward a smarter starting point (Starting with a Vee vs a Rigger etc).

Hydro Junkie 03-16-2010 04:34 PM

Unfortunately, the biggest problem is the new boaters think they know everything as well. All too often, they ask advice and then ignore what they are told. We have a few cases of that in the nitro forum. They ask advice and then try to prove you wrong when you tell them DON'T DO IT. The way I see it, I have 2400+ posts for a good reason, helping others . I am getting to the point that I'm thinking I won't waste my time to help new boaters any more. The way I see it, if they don't want to listen, let them learn like I did, ALL TRIAL AND ERROR

rcguy1411 03-16-2010 05:40 PM

dont forget that other people will tell them with this plus that will equal speed i was once told that a homlite would get a 58 " deep v to 50 mph all day long and with a little work 60 mph now the only way i see this bieng done is with it bieng put in the trunk and driving it to the lake !newbees have been taken advantage of and some are not always open to advice given once bitten twice shy i have a engine sitting on my bench was told it works great and well i cant lie it does as a paper weight so as a guy that is new to the fourm but not new to rc boats i have heard allot come out of peoples fingers that dont know squat that bieng said i do not know all their is about but i do know enough to figure out who is talking trash

Will Sgarlat 03-16-2010 06:53 PM

Trial and error is fun!!!

Today there are so many nice ready to run boats to choose from and finally some of them are really fast. Safety in running an RC boat can be easily overlooked by excited newcomers and swimmers and people on shore can be seriously injured by an out of control high-performance boat. I think that ready to run boats make it too easy! When you build a boat from a kit, the time and energy you put into the boat causes us to have more respect for it, as opposed to the boat representing nothing more than a wad of money.

Hydro Junkie 03-16-2010 06:54 PM

Sounds like you and I are thinking the same thing. I've been building and running hydroplanes since 1982. I joined this forum in 2004 and have almost 2500 posts. Even though I have a record of proven help, I still get slammed by some because I'm not running a boat every other day. I've even told someone something just to have someone else with a year or two running RTRs tell them I don't know what I'm talking about. It does get you to the point of just saying TO HELL WITH THIS, I QUIT!!!!!! after a while

Dan S 03-16-2010 07:44 PM

looks like we are all riding the same boat HJ.
I still enjoy helping, it seems that the good out ways the bad most of the time.

Dan.

Justaddwata 03-16-2010 11:07 PM

At the end of the day - I find time spent helping a member with a question in a forum significantly more productive than via e-mail. I am sure I have never heard back from a few hundred guys who have had various questions and I have often gone to great lengths to answer them. At least in a thread in an open forum the question and answer will be on record for others to review - plus the option is there for others to contribute.

I personally am glad that I learned what I know via the school of hard knocks. Being able to find your own answers is half the fun in my opinion.

Ron Olson 03-17-2010 08:50 AM

I've been on this site since the merger many years ago. Some of the things I've seen here amuse me but members are trying to be dead serious. Those shopping on eBay or unfortunately even in the RCU Marketplace have gotten disillusioned by 65-75 MPH boats out of the box for under $200.00. Big disappointment when they are outrun by ducks!
Record setting speeds don't come out of a mass-produced box. I've been to a few reord trials and nothing is stock except for maybe radio gear. The baddest 2-strokes on the market are massaged to be on the edge, hulls are lightened so much that they are not expected to have a life of over a few passes, this is why you don't see record-setters up for sale. everything is tweaked from a click of the needle, a hair shorter on the pipe and props bent a little more for some added pitch. Outrigger hydro's are laser aligned. The speeds will make even the experienced do a little butt pucker. You haqve to know how to get them up to speed then shut them down.
I look back at how many years that I've been doing this and as time goes on I still find out how little I know.

What I do know. Blowers, laughing gas and boost bottles are the snake oils of this hobby. Marine engines don't need air filters. If anything has worked or not in boating, it's already been tried so that's why it's not seen on production pieces by now. Engine manufacturer claims of HP and RPM are just that. PROVE to me and let me know how they achieved their claims, i.e., what fuel, pipe, what was used ot get those readings, etc.

mfr02 03-17-2010 10:05 AM

the biggest problem is the new boaters think they know everything
With experience, we usually learn that there is more and more that we dont know. Most of us were young once, and I really wish I knew as much now as I did back then......:D

Hydro Junkie 03-17-2010 10:19 AM

I know I wish for that. I didn't realize how much I didn't know about R/C hydroplanes until I met the guys in R/C Unlimiteds. Can we say rude awakening, in a good way[X(]
What makes it worse is that I'm still learning from others about things I hadn't heard about prior to talking with them.

cheesewizz69 03-17-2010 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson
Big disappointment when they are outrun by ducks!
Just about fell out of my chair....[sm=lol.gif] Nice one Ron

silvermansteve 03-25-2010 04:08 AM

Ron Olson writes above that Marine engines don't need air filters. Interesting. But why? Thanks.

dicko 03-25-2010 04:48 AM

For the same reason that they are not used on a plane. Boats and planes aren't kicking up dust & dirt that gets sucked into the engine like a car or buggy does.