RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Wet Sanding and Buffing?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/9724003-wet-sanding-buffing.html)

miniature_business 05-10-2010 01:36 PM

Wet Sanding and Buffing??

I understand that you wet sand between primer coats, but is it better for adhesion to wet sand with a high grit between colour coats? Also, is the purpose of wet sanding the final clear coat with 800-1000 grit and then buffing to provide a higher gloss finish? Thanks I can't seem to find that information, just a lot of product knowledge.

Dreamin Hemi 05-10-2010 05:09 PM

RE: Wet Sanding and Buffing??

Wet sanding the clearcoat takes out any slight imperfection that may be on the surface such as the orange peel texture commonly seen with most paint jobs. Never a necessity, however once buffed out creates the perfect deep wet look that we as painters strive for. You only sand enough to knock off the tops of the "orange peel". As you compound buff, the machine takes care of the rest of the bump without removing too much material. You are than left with a perfectely flat, high gloss finish...assuming you know which high speed bufffing pads and compounds to use in the correct order.

miniature_business 05-10-2010 09:33 PM

So you wet sand and buff the last coat of clear? What do you use for a clear? I know 2 part systems are the best but I am kind of on a fixed budget right now so I am looking for a price conscious option. I heard Minwax Polyurethane works, but I am concerned about yellowing. Will an Acrylic Lacquer clear coat provide me with a reasonable amount of fuel resistance? Thanks.

Dreamin Hemi 05-10-2010 09:37 PM

I would be worried about that as well. I never spray polyurethane on a basecoat.....that stuffs made for wood. I always use a two part acrylic urethane clearcoat. No yellowing and very wetsandable. I find a liking to PPG products personally, however there are a few others MUCHless costly.

miniature_business 05-10-2010 09:48 PM

I was looking at a pro form system its available at carquest here in canada. Have you ever used the 2 part clear coat systems in a spray can? As well, what's your take on Top Flite LustreKote Crystal Clear?

Square Nozzle 05-10-2010 10:03 PM

You should do your final wet sand with 2000 grit wet or dry paper, wet. 800 to 1000 will leave visible scratches and you'll be buffing till your arms fall off and you still won't get all the scratches out.

Dreamin Hemi 05-11-2010 04:30 AM

ORIGINAL: miniature_business

I was looking at a pro form system its available at carquest here in canada. Have you ever used the 2 part clear coat systems in a spray can? As well, what's your take on Top Flite LustreKote Crystal Clear?
The pro form seems to be a decend product, certantly good enough for our models. As far as the Top Flite system, I have and still use that stuff with my r/c planes. The colors are designed to work with the best covering material ever, Monokote!.....a nearly perfect match. It is not a 2 part system, but it does resist fuel to an extent. Woulden't use it in a boat application however.

If you have access to basic spray equipment and want to save a lot of money, you may consider buying practically any of the rattle can spray paints availible as a base coat. I have had customers want to lessen their cost for the boats I build and I can get away with emptying the contents of the rattle can into my auto detail spray gun and shoot from there! The results are 100% better than the aerosol spray job. You then spend the money on a cheap urethane clearcoat.....about $20/quart for the clear, $10 for a little can of activator here in the U.S. Spray that on and you've got one great paint job. By the way, there is not much that you cannot spray over with urethane clear......it sticks to practically everything.

miniature_business 05-11-2010 03:37 PM

Sound good! I got my hands on a spray gun and a compressor so I'll be picking up some 2 part auto clear. What psi do you shoot at? As for what you said about emptying the contents of a rattle can into a spray gun... Do you just spray the spray can into the canister and shoot or do you have some other technique??

Dockman 05-11-2010 03:46 PM

What kind of bluffer is use for this small boats?

Dreamin Hemi 05-11-2010 06:26 PM

I usually shoot into a paper drinking cup.....keep shaking the can once in a while as you do it. Fill more than you think you'll need...it takes a while to "reload" if you run out. Ithen transfer to the spray canister using a paint filter.

ORIGINAL: miniature_business

Sound good! I got my hands on a spray gun and a compressor so I'll be picking up some 2 part auto clear. What psi do you shoot at? As for what you said about emptying the contents of a rattle can into a spray gun... Do you just spray the spray can into the canister and shoot or do you have some other technique??

Dreamin Hemi 05-11-2010 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Dockman

What kind of bluffer is use for this small boats?
I use a small pnumatic buffer for the boats....easier to manipulate than the full size one for vehicles.

miniature_business 05-11-2010 10:47 PM

sweet! I'll give it a try! What kind of PSI should I be shooting at?

misshydro 05-11-2010 11:24 PM

I use my normal buffer you use on real cars.. small areas that buffer cant get to,do it the old fashionway hand rub it..;)