RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Want to make a simple boat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/9749062-want-make-simple-boat.html)

TullyK 05-21-2010 08:24 AM

Want to make a simple boat

Hi, i'm new to the hobby of rc boating, but having dabbled in rc cars i would like to have a go at making something that floats. I want to make something very simple that is not expensive and does not maximize performance or looks, just works.

I have heard that balsa wood is good for making boats? I will probably do a lot of custom stuff so all i really want to buy is the radio gear, motor, battery and prop and this is where i need your help.
What motor should i be getting and what size prop do move a boat about 2 feet, at no amazing speed, also i wondered if there were any special servos or if the one from an rc car would do just fine?

Thanks, any help appreciated :)

ROMA-F1 05-21-2010 08:27 AM

RE: Want to make a simple boat

FROM =WASHINGTON= THIS IS MAI IMAIL I CAN HELP... I HAVE,VILLIAIN,V27,RIO EP RTR,ETC.... TIHS IS MAI IMAIL, [email protected]... GOOD LUCK

Ron Olson 05-21-2010 09:08 AM

Balsa is a poor choice to me for building a boat, aircraft litle plywood would be my choice.
For a 2 foot long boat you can use a .12 nitro engine and that'll push it right along and see some nice speed in the high 30's if not more. As far as props go, that would depend on a whole slew of things. You might be able to spin a 35mm prop or up to a 38mm in most cases with the average .12 engine.
Look in my Gallery as there are a couple of my .12 powered boats in there.
The standard servos will do the job. One of the first that I built used Futaba 148's, it helped to make the boat a little heavy but they're more than up to the job.

Bill Gibson 05-21-2010 09:29 AM

If you want it to be a REALLY simple boat, just build an airboat....requires very little in the way of material, you can pick up a .10 to .25 size model airplane engine CHEAP used....no drive line to install....the hull can be as simple as as box, or as complex as you want it to be....i play with inboard and outboard nitro boats, hydros and monos, and i still have a ball playin around with my .20 and .25 powered airboats!

TullyK 05-21-2010 09:45 AM

Thank you for your fast response, i was thinking of using an electric motor, do you have any idea what turns to prop size i should use ( i can gear if necessary)

Tropheus30 05-21-2010 10:53 PM

Two words... Zip Kits. They have great kits and really embrace the true hobby of building a boat from wood. Lots of fun and really cheap. Check out their website. Even their hardware is reasonable and their plans are super easy to follow. Easy V is a good one.

Hydro Junkie 05-22-2010 12:17 AM

I have to agree with Ron, to a point. I'd use aircraft grade plywood, not lite ply however. While you can use balsa, the catch there is you would need to cover it inside and out with glass. Not doing so can result in a boat that quickly turns into a sponge as balsa is very porus and absorbs water just like a sponge. Umi Ryuzuki uses it quite often in her builds of scale boats and combat ships and can tell you more on waterproofing

TullyK 05-22-2010 04:36 PM

Thanks guys, this is really helpful, any advise on electric motors and props?

mfr02 05-23-2010 01:29 PM

A boat about the size of the Graupner Lotse (20" launch) goes very well with a speed 400 rated for 8.4 volts and the 2 blade prop supplied on 7 C cells.  Any similar design should do much the same if not built too heavy.<div>Rough rule of thumb - the prop diameter should not be greater than the diameter of the motor, direct drive, rather than a gearbox, is by far the simplest way to go.</div>