Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

Traxxas 3.3 failed after 1.5 gallons of traxxas 20%

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 04:27 PM
diaz_aa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas 3.3 failed after 1.5 gallons of traxxas 20%

My nitro slash was properly and delicately broken in, in accordance with Traxxas guidelines. After about six months of awesome performance, my slash started blowing glow plugs once every tank. I took it to the local hobby r.c shop here in Houston and had them tune it. They said as my tuning was not that far off and to continue to run and see what happens. For the first run it ran beautifully, super fast, great! But once again when I refueled and went to start it, it would not. Tired of my situation, I disassembled the engine to find the pin inside the piston connecting to the rod had broken the "ear" or retaining area. I believe that failed first and then broke the skirt of the piston. I am wondering what caused this. I callled Traxxas and the help I received was subpar. Paraphrased, I broke it by not doing the proper maintenance. I have detailed pics if someone can inform me on how to post. I just signed up to this site earlier. Thank you gents.

Last edited by diaz_aa; 09-12-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Anthoop

To add pictures- click "reply to thread" then click the "insert image" symbol above the text box.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:58 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you had a bearing or the con rod going out, putting tiny metal pieces into the engine. You said it started blowing plugs every tank. Either to lean, or something in the fuel causing the plug to burn or foul.

You can do the trade in for the engine or get another brand.

http://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-E...placement-Plan

Hobby shop near me says they will take the old engine, sell you the engine for 1/2 price and send the engine into Traxxas for the credit. Others say you have to go straight to Traxxas.

Buzz.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:05 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

The 3.3 retails for around $160 and with the trade in deal it's $130. A new 3.3 can be had from an eBay chop shop for $100 or thereabouts. When they say they give 1/2 off on the trade in, they mean on what would be the "list" price which is probably $275. List price is always almost double if not more than retail price. It's not really a "deal" per sé as it's more of a marketing gimmick. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:54 PM
nitroexpress

Originally Posted by diaz_aa
My nitro slash was properly and delicately broken in, in accordance with Traxxas guidelines. After about six months of awesome performance, my slash started blowing glow plugs once every tank. I took it to the local hobby r.c shop here in Houston and had them tune it. They said as my tuning was not that far off and to continue to run and see what happens. For the first run it ran beautifully, super fast, great! But once again when I refueled and went to start it, it would not. Tired of my situation, I disassembled the engine to find the pin inside the piston connecting to the rod had broken the "ear" or retaining area. I believe that failed first and then broke the skirt of the piston. I am wondering what caused this. I callled Traxxas and the help I received was subpar. Paraphrased, I broke it by not doing the proper maintenance. I have detailed pics if someone can inform me on how to post. I just signed up to this site earlier. Thank you gents.
What type of maintenance were they referring to?
Old 12-10-2014, 12:34 PM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old post and wanted to also share my experience. I had a Maxx running like a scalded dog. Snappy throttle and wide open was fast. Wouldn't hang on the pipe when I let off but eventually the lower conrod bearing let go and seized the motor. I was and still am running 15% airplane fuel with much more oil than the Traxxas fuel. Never over rev'd which is hard to do with a Maxx. What seems like a perfect tune for the 3.3 is self destructive to itself. Sounds sick but it will eat itself. On rebuild I went with an RB Mods con rod(stronger) and richend up my tune and she has run perfect for almost three years. She doesn't instantly snap into a wheelie like she did, but I'd rather have a lasting motor.