Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

breaking in os 18 cv rx

Old 11-01-2015, 06:38 AM
krokodyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breaking in os 18 cv rx

Hello all, I am fairly new to nitro engines, I had one before which was blown after a year. So i rescently recieved the os and i plan on breaking it in before i put it away for winter. It wil be between 15 to 20 degrees celcius, (60 to 70 faranheit) which i suppose will be alright. However my fuel is also a year old, its was stored in a plastic bottle closed tightly, in my basement, however the temperature was fairly similar all year. Can old fuel damage a non broken in engine? Id hate to throw a half gallon away. Do you guys think i should test the fuel out?

One more thing, i heard that a replaced engine has to be broken in by the hobby store. Is that true? If it is then i will be suprised because why would that be?
Old 11-01-2015, 07:07 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Fuel will stay good for many many years if kept sealed and out of light. I wouldn't worry about the fuel. If the fuel is no good, the engine won't run for beans.

Whoever told you the hobby shop had to break the engine in gave you the wrong information. If it was the hobby shop that told you that, they're just trying to take your money. Just mount the engine, ensure the linkages are set properly, and run it. Keep it rich and just run it.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:18 AM
krokodyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. One more thing, I have byron gen 2 race fuel. It has 12 percent lubrication and the manual sais it should be no less than 18 percent oil. Should i add some oil? Ive heard people do add oil for the break in. If so should it be castor oil?
Old 11-01-2015, 07:56 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Others will disagree with me, but I always run higher oil to break in my engines. More oil allows a leaner needle setting which gets the engine to temp and still provides adequate lubrication. Most commercially made fuels are mostly synthetic oil and these oils are not very good IMO. I've broke in on 12% oil fuels and it does work, but I'd rather use castor for break-in. The 18% oil bit is probably an "out" for them (hobby services) to deny warranting the engine should something happen to the engine.