Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

Axial identification

Old 01-03-2020, 11:53 PM
seagull369

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Axial identification

Bought a used Savage and the motor on it appears to be an Axial, at least that's what's printed on its green head. I guess there's at least 2 engines Axial makes (or made) with that color head; the 0.32 and 0.28. Would anyone happen to know how to tell which one I've got? I don't see any other markings on the engine.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:12 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take the head off and measure the bore.

.28 Spec 1S - 18.6mm bore
.28 Spec 2S - 18.6mm bore
.28RR comp engine - 18.25mm bore
.32 Spec 1S Green Head engine - 19.5mm bore
.32RR Black Head engine - 19.5mm bore.

Old 01-04-2020, 01:12 PM
seagull369

Thanks very much for the reply. I'll try that. In the meantime, here's a picture.

Does Axial make any other green-headed engines besides the one you listed?

Old 01-04-2020, 02:57 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I’m not sure. I’ve never used them myself. As far as I know, all of their big block engines have either green heads or black ones. The green ones being the lower power sport variety and the black head ones a little higher power competition type engines.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:10 AM
D3MON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they did make small blocks as well, though obviously not the case here, that i believe is the Axial .32 Spec 1s.
i have the axial .28 Spec 2s on my MGT, so far love the engine. do be aware the MSN on these.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:14 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I put Axial in the same camp as any other Taiwanese engine including SH, LRP, Dynamite, Traxxas, HPI, etc.. They run, but they get smacked around HARD by the Italian stallions and some of the Japanese turds without breaking a sweat.

If I was forced to pick Axial or OS, I’d take Axial. Axial an Italian? - I’d take the Italians every day of the week. Just me though. Any of the guys I know that had Axial engines had the same issues that others had - phantom air leaks and trouble tuning. 90% of these problems stem from a poorly fitted crankshaft (bad machining tolerances) and the other 10% using a flaming hot heat range glow plug and 30% nitro.

Used nitro trucks are a gamble. I posted the same type of thing in another forum. These engines are really only worth about $125-150 NEW, so if rebuild parts are needed and cost more than $75, it’s not worth keeping and you’re better off getting a replacement engine.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:07 AM
D3MON

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
I put Axial in the same camp as any other Taiwanese engine including SH, LRP, Dynamite, Traxxas, HPI, etc.. They run, but they get smacked around HARD by the Italian stallions and some of the Japanese turds without breaking a sweat.

If I was forced to pick Axial or OS, I’d take Axial. Axial an Italian? - I’d take the Italians every day of the week. Just me though. Any of the guys I know that had Axial engines had the same issues that others had - phantom air leaks and trouble tuning. 90% of these problems stem from a poorly fitted crankshaft (bad machining tolerances) and the other 10% using a flaming hot heat range glow plug and 30% nitro.

Used nitro trucks are a gamble. I posted the same type of thing in another forum. These engines are really only worth about $125-150 NEW, so if rebuild parts are needed and cost more than $75, it’s not worth keeping and you’re better off getting a replacement engine.
i cant say from a race perspective, but i will say the axial is a pretty solid engine so far, about 2-3 gallons through it, had a bout a gallon through it then put it up for about 11 years or so (took a break from the hobby, not really by choice) then about a year ago pulled it back out, and since have probably ran over a gallon, buy in quarts and run multiple vehicles, so its hard to keep track.
i have yet to experience air leaks, but i had also sealed the backplate, and the carb to crankcase, which i dont know if it either prevented an issue, or if mine did not have that issue. yes i only did a very light bead as close to exposed ambient air as possible to minimize chances of any RVT getting into the engine itself.
as far as tuning, its really been pretty easy to tune, might be because mine at this point (knock on wood) is not leaking. the only thing so far i dont necessarily care for on it is that its a composite carb, but that is kind of a double edged sword.
i do run either 20% or 30% race blend fuels with either a LC3 or LC4 plug depending on fuel, (really wish McCoy would come back).
i agree italian engines are definitely alot higher quality, no argument there, though i do not quite think it completely fair to compare the Novarossi, picco, etc engines against SH based engines, as they are more race born and bred engines. SH based engines for the most part are basher engines, and also the price differences.
now if i had the money would i say to pick the SH based engine instead of the italian one? definitely not.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:08 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Well, I have a lot of experience with SH and the Italians. Where the biggest bang for the buck comes in is in the tolerances you cannot see, but rather have to measure. Next - a Big Red .28 8-port (basically the same thing as the Losi 454 but with a different Heatsink. It’ll cost you $200+shipping when the competing Nova is the same or cheaper.

While SH may not seem like race engines, their designs and port layouts are 100% copies from the higher quality engines. The technology hasn’t changed much over the years. I have gallons and gallons through SH engines. They’ve been good to me over the years - I still have 2. They run fine and make good power, but I can tell you from my own experience that I saw an absolutely instant and insane difference between my 28-8 and my SH .28 6-port engine. It was night and day. Standing backflip wheelies in just 5% nitro in the 28-8 versus needing 25% nitro for a good wheelie but not a standing backflip.

For anyone that has ran both, the opinion is vastly different than from one who’s only used the cheapies. I was one of those guys. It took spending some money on something different to wake me up.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 01-12-2020 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:39 AM
D3MON

guess i am seeing different prices, Nova truggy 28-8 is around 220$ before shipping from nova direct (260$ from a few other places), and Big Red is 150$ from... everywhere (free shipping on amazon). definitely plan to get one of those Nova 28-8s though before to long.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:28 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by D3MON View Post
guess i am seeing different prices, Nova truggy 28-8 is around 220$ before shipping from nova direct (260$ from a few other places), and Big Red is 150$ from... everywhere (free shipping on amazon). definitely plan to get one of those Nova 28-8s though before to long.
Then the pricing has jumped significantly. I paid $169 for mine, and with a manifold, seals, and a 9886, I was still under $210. But they have improved the 28-8 since they stopped the Rex line and moved the 28-8 to the Nova line. Nova direct always always has a 10% off code too. Try sending a note to Allen Worley at Planet Hobby. He might be able to work a better price for you. He’s been really good to me - far far better than the jerk at Novadirect.
The following users liked this post:
D3MON (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 06:27 PM
D3MON

thanks for the tip!
Old 01-13-2020, 09:30 PM
seagull369

Just took the head off and measured 18.42mm, so I guess It's one of the 0.28 c.i. varieties from 1QwkSport's list of choices (if my Harbor Freight caliper is to be trusted).. I would guess it's the 1s model, as the 0.28 2S seems to have the Axial logo printed on the side of its motor casting as where mine does not. The head on that one also looks to have 4 divots machined in the cooling fins where mine only has 2. It doesn't appear to be the 0.28RR comp engine since that one seems to come only with a black head.

Used nitro trucks are a gamble. [/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]

That;s certainly true, but fortunately I've gotten pretty lucky with buying used engines over the years. Most were so gunked up from sitting you couldn't even turn the flywheel with ChannelLocks.

Thanks again for the help.
The following users liked this post:
D3MON (01-14-2020)