Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

Question about locktite?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 03:09 PM
Full Pay Gaming

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about locktite?

I have a 1/10 scale on road nitro rc. I know blue locktite taies 24hrs to fully cure. Is waiting that full 24hrs a necessity to prevent engine from moving. If anyone has experience with not waiting the full 24hrs but still having no issues with motor moving which usually results in spur gear grinding for me, can yall please let me know whats a more acceptable time besides the 24hrs, if there is one?
Old 05-11-2022, 04:59 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I've never waited 24 hours on either the red or blue.
The following users liked this post:
Full Pay Gaming (05-11-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 06:56 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I don’t use loctite on engine screws usually. The trick is to snug them up cold, and re-snug them up when warm. They rarely come loose doing this.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:11 AM
Full Pay Gaming

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I don’t use loctite on engine screws usually. The trick is to snug them up cold, and re-snug them up when warm. They rarely come loose doing this.
I was having issue with motor moving and spur gear being destroyed. So I used red locktite on motor mounts and blue on motor screws. Been a few days and everything has been ok.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:38 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Never use red loctite on RC stuff h less you plan on torching the thing apart. Red is permanent and heat is the only thing that will break it loose. again - if you tighten your screws with everything good and warm, they shouldn’t come loose. My motor mounts never come loose, and all I run are modified engines.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:46 PM
Full Pay Gaming

if you tighten your screws with everything good and warm, they shouldn’t come loose. My motor mounts never come loose, and all I run are modified engines.
What do you mean by "warm"? Am I supposed to warming engine up then tightening screws?
Only reason I used red is because I didnt plan to remove motor from mounts. If I need to work on engine at all I can still remove it from chassis and motor mounts arent blocking access to anything so figured it wouldnt be a problem. I was just ready to actually be able to play with cars instead of stripping gears back 2 back.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:10 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

By warm, I mean having driven the model for awhile - 15-20 minutes of good romping. This ensures the crankcase and motor mounts are warm which makes the metal expand. Heat from the engine transfers to the surrounding metal that is in solid contact with the engine. Aluminum gears up quickly and tends to expand quite a bit which loosens the bold in the screws. Snugging them down when it’s expanded helps the screws retain their tension through several heat cycles.
The following users liked this post:
Full Pay Gaming (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 04:22 AM
Full Pay Gaming

By warm, I mean having driven the model for awhile - 15-20 minutes of good romping. This ensures the crankcase and motor mounts are warm which makes the metal expand. Heat from the engine transfers to the surrounding metal that is in solid contact with the engine. Aluminum gears up quickly and tends to expand quite a bit which loosens the bold in the screws. Snugging them down when it’s expanded helps the screws retain their tension through several heat cycles.
Thats something I never did. I do know that metal expands, just never thought about that in relation to the rc engine screws, didnt even cross my mind so appreciate the tip. Next time I bring rc out will get it warm then snug up screws, just in case they loosened any. Pretty sure motor mount screws didnt, but its possible engine screws could have.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:40 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Full Pay Gaming
Thats something I never did. I do know that metal expands, just never thought about that in relation to the rc engine screws, didnt even cross my mind so appreciate the tip. Next time I bring rc out will get it warm then snug up screws, just in case they loosened any. Pretty sure motor mount screws didnt, but its possible engine screws could have.
I’m glad you were able to see through my un-editable typos. Sorry about that. But yes, those motor mounts and chassis parts - if aluminum - will expand quite a bit. Don’t ham fist it though - usually you only need to go 1/8th turn to snug them up further.

Also - if you intend to break the red loctite loose, have a small propane or butane torch to heat it up really good. Heat breaks the bond. I might have already posted this, sorry if I did.
Old 11-21-2023, 08:02 PM
Chrislovell801

Yeah i had to learn the hard way with the red lock tight