Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

Question about locktite?

Old 05-10-2022, 03:09 PM
  #1  
Full Pay Gaming
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about locktite?

I have a 1/10 scale on road nitro rc. I know blue locktite taies 24hrs to fully cure. Is waiting that full 24hrs a necessity to prevent engine from moving. If anyone has experience with not waiting the full 24hrs but still having no issues with motor moving which usually results in spur gear grinding for me, can yall please let me know whats a more acceptable time besides the 24hrs, if there is one?
Old 05-11-2022, 04:59 AM
  #2  
rgburrill
 
rgburrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, Tx CT
Posts: 2,651
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

I've never waited 24 hours on either the red or blue.
The following users liked this post:
Full Pay Gaming (05-11-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 06:56 AM
  #3  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 10,105
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

I don’t use loctite on engine screws usually. The trick is to snug them up cold, and re-snug them up when warm. They rarely come loose doing this.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:11 AM
  #4  
Full Pay Gaming
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
I don’t use loctite on engine screws usually. The trick is to snug them up cold, and re-snug them up when warm. They rarely come loose doing this.
I was having issue with motor moving and spur gear being destroyed. So I used red locktite on motor mounts and blue on motor screws. Been a few days and everything has been ok.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:38 PM
  #5  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 10,105
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Never use red loctite on RC stuff h less you plan on torching the thing apart. Red is permanent and heat is the only thing that will break it loose. again - if you tighten your screws with everything good and warm, they shouldn’t come loose. My motor mounts never come loose, and all I run are modified engines.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:46 PM
  #6  
Full Pay Gaming
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
if you tighten your screws with everything good and warm, they shouldn’t come loose. My motor mounts never come loose, and all I run are modified engines.
What do you mean by "warm"? Am I supposed to warming engine up then tightening screws?
Only reason I used red is because I didnt plan to remove motor from mounts. If I need to work on engine at all I can still remove it from chassis and motor mounts arent blocking access to anything so figured it wouldnt be a problem. I was just ready to actually be able to play with cars instead of stripping gears back 2 back.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:10 AM
  #7  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 10,105
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

By warm, I mean having driven the model for awhile - 15-20 minutes of good romping. This ensures the crankcase and motor mounts are warm which makes the metal expand. Heat from the engine transfers to the surrounding metal that is in solid contact with the engine. Aluminum gears up quickly and tends to expand quite a bit which loosens the bold in the screws. Snugging them down when it’s expanded helps the screws retain their tension through several heat cycles.
The following users liked this post:
Full Pay Gaming (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 04:22 AM
  #8  
Full Pay Gaming
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
By warm, I mean having driven the model for awhile - 15-20 minutes of good romping. This ensures the crankcase and motor mounts are warm which makes the metal expand. Heat from the engine transfers to the surrounding metal that is in solid contact with the engine. Aluminum gears up quickly and tends to expand quite a bit which loosens the bold in the screws. Snugging them down when it’s expanded helps the screws retain their tension through several heat cycles.
Thats something I never did. I do know that metal expands, just never thought about that in relation to the rc engine screws, didnt even cross my mind so appreciate the tip. Next time I bring rc out will get it warm then snug up screws, just in case they loosened any. Pretty sure motor mount screws didnt, but its possible engine screws could have.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.