RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-engines-272/)
-   -   RC car engine does not start (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-engines-272/11677259-rc-car-engine-does-not-start.html)

VicenteChimenes 04-10-2020 01:14 AM

RC car engine does not start

Hello. I got a FTX Torro yesterday and since then I've been trying to start the engine. I followed all the instructions on the manual, primed the engine, tried to warm up the engine with a blow dryer, but it won't start. I thought it could be flooded, so I removed the fuel from under the glow plug, but this didn't solve the problem. The pullstarter is now pretty hard to pull, but warming up the engine with the blow dryer made it a little better. I don't know if I should keep trying to fix it or if I should stop because I might break something, or if I have already broken something inside the engine. I am new to RC cars and the shop I bought it from is closed because of the corona virus, so I cant bring it there so someone can help me.
Any tips on how I should proceed?
Also I watched a lot of YouTube videos but no luck.

D3MON 04-10-2020 06:53 AM

glow plug is glowing? happen to have a spare?
glow plug igniter charged and working correctly?

it should get hard to pull over at the top of the piston travel as that is where it builds compression, it getting harder to pull over means you still have compression.
what does your Idle gap look like?
are your needles set to factory positions?
usually if something on the inside of the engine, you will know. you will hear a grinding, or something obviously wont be right typically.
when trying to start are you holding open the throttle slightly? or idle position?
(factory settings on your carb will be very rich, the engine has a good possibility of stalling many times because of this, but it should run at factory settings.

VicenteChimenes 04-10-2020 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by D3MON (Post 12595581)
glow plug is glowing? happen to have a spare?
glow plug igniter charged and working correctly?

it should get hard to pull over at the top of the piston travel as that is where it builds compression, it getting harder to pull over means you still have compression.
what does your Idle gap look like?
are your needles set to factory positions?
usually if something on the inside of the engine, you will know. you will hear a grinding, or something obviously wont be right typically.
when trying to start are you holding open the throttle slightly? or idle position?
(factory settings on your carb will be very rich, the engine has a good possibility of stalling many times because of this, but it should run at factory settings.

Thanks for the reply. The carburetor gap is set at 1mm. the needles are set to default. the glow plug and igniter should be working because when I remove it and test it, it glows bright red/orange. I will try your tips, thanks.

D3MON 04-10-2020 08:44 AM

how are you attempting to prime the engine? plug the exhaust and pull it over? you saw fuel get to the carb doing this? then pulled one more time for fuel to get into the crank?
you can back the glow plug out 1/4-1/2 a turn and try to fire to ease up on the compression, then once it fires tighten it.
if that doesnt help, drip a few drops of fuel into the glow plug hole (i do mean just a few drops lol) and try starting.
should fire up and run for a few seconds and die, or keep running because its pulling in fuel from the tank. all your fuel lines are hooked up to the correct spots right?
exhaust pipe and muffler are on and tight?

tkJohn 12-25-2020 01:35 AM

Please check your glow plug

Chrislovell801 11-21-2023 08:08 PM

What is factory settings for the screws on the carb