Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

to many cars to choose from, for this 45 yr old getting into hobby

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

to many cars to choose from, for this 45 yr old getting into hobby

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 04:18 PM
briansommers
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to many cars to choose from, for this 45 yr old getting into hobby

I have flown airplanes for 10 yrs and had an electric car many years ago

My wife and I are thinking of getting into electric cars again. We went out today to hang out at a new car club here in town and they have a nice dirt track.

We are not sure what area we want to get into

1. we have a big room that we could set up some small cones and race micro cars - which appeals to both of us.

2. buying a rtr 2.4ghz, brushless, lipo, 4x4 , buggies, etc and going out to the track

3. or maybe going with some small electric helis. but I know that is not for here. but none the less..

so many freakin' cars to choose, from, not sure if I really want racing or bashing. I just want something that I can rip around here at home as well take out to the track, must be electric, I want something fast, love speed. I guess I would be leaning toward racing end of it..

I saw the which one to buy FAQ/.thread and it was dated back to 2007, to old, I need current suggestions.

I've been reading a few, some of those traxxes RTR out of the box deals look great, but also have been looking at team associated.

also, I know that when it came to airplanes, the larger airplane flew better/more stable then the small ones, is this true for cars? I mean would a 1/8 buggy be more stable and easier to drive then 1/10? I also think I want to go 4WD, I hear those are easier, I'm getting older, not younger.

thanks
Brian S
Old 10-31-2010, 04:39 PM
madryan

Default RE: to many cars to choose from, for this 45 yr old getting into hobby

There's really no hard fast rule regarding ease of driving when it comes to different types of cars. That being said, while 4wd cars like the Slash or a 1/8 scale buggy or truggy will typically hook up well due to the extra drive wheels, you're looking at quite a bit more stuff to keep tabs on with regards to drivetrain.

I'm a big fan of the short course trucks because they tend to be really durable and the long wheelbase and whatnot makes them easy to drive, plus if you get one like the HPI Blitz you get really good handling for not alot of money. I also like stadium trucks for the same reason. I just picked up an Associated T4.1 (their race bred stadium truck) because I wanted something without the complexity of my 4X4 Slash that handled well and was reasonably tough.

Were I you I'd buy one HPI blitz or an HPI E-Firestorm or the Associated versions of the same vehicles and see if you and the wifey dig them. Then pick up another, or get one of each. The Blitz is stupid reasonable these days.

With regards to indoor vs. outdoor and small scale stuff, I don't find little tiny cars easy to drive, in fact it's the other way around. Similarly, while a full size 1/8 scale 4WD buggy or truggy will handle better than any short course truck it's also going to cost at least double and be at least twice as fast and much harder to drive.

That's just my .02
Old 10-31-2010, 04:56 PM
RobbieP
Banned

Seems like you need to spend more time figuring out what YOU(and your wife) want to do. You're too "up in the air" regarding potential interests.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:57 PM
hasek1616

i would definitely check out some different short course trucks, trucks like the slash 4x4 and quite durable and there is most likely a class for them at your local track. you could also take a look at the associated sc8e but im not sure if they wuld have a class for that where you live. if you are willing to throw down the cash for an 1/8th scale e buggy i recommend either the losi 8ight e 2.0 or the associated rc8be factory team edition, and as for the motor and esc combo tekin is good but a little expensive, the castle creations mamba monster 2650 kv combo would be a more affordable choice. youll also need batteries and a charger, i highly recommened starting with a 2s lipo for the slash 4x4 or a 4s lipo for the e buggies, deinitely check out www.hobbyking.com for lipo batteries and a charger, the best deals for the best batteries. hope that helps!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 PM
ScottStaypuff

Yeah, short course might be the ticket. 2wd is simpler,no doubt about it, I love my Blitz! I don't think my Slash 4x4 is all that complicated though, I haven't had a hard time working on it yet anyhow.

But yeah 2wd short course is a good idea, not bad for bashing, easy to drive and its probably the most popular race class at the moment (certainly for 1/10th scale). I suggest the Blitz because its super tough.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:33 AM
briansommers
My Feedback: (2)

I'm leaning quite heavily toward the Blitz - is there a 4WD version of the Blitz?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:48 AM
RobbieP
Banned

No - but there is the standard/stock RTR model, and the full-race ESE(kit) model.
Getting one of each would allow the both of you to have different (but still basicallythe same) trucks, and compare the differences.

While 4wd is easier to drive, I also think it's a bit of a crutch. Starting off in 2wd at least teaches you to drive, as it requires more throttle control.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

I would say if you want something small and runnable in your living room I would have to suggest the Traxxas minis.

Mini Evo (289 sure you could get it cheaper with dicount codes) [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZDB2**&P=ML]MINI EVO (Tower)[/link]
Mini Slash(259) [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWEP2**&P=ML]MINI SLASH[/link]
Mini Rally(289) [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAKLU**&P=ML]Mini Rally[/link]

If you want to race get a b4.1
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYYE2**&P=ML]B4.1[/link]
Old 11-01-2010, 12:04 PM
RobbieP
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

I would say if you want something small and runnable in your living room I would have to suggest the Traxxas minis.
HowBIG of a living room do you have?
Old 11-01-2010, 12:09 PM
nitroade

If you're leaning towards racing, see what classes they run at your local track first. That should make it easier to nail down. Betting that they will have 1/10 SC racing since that seems to be the most popular these days.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:52 PM
ScottStaypuff

ORIGINAL: briansommers

I'm leaning quite heavily toward the Blitz - is there a 4WD version of the Blitz?

Not at this time AFAIK.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:15 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: RobbieP

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

How BIG of a living room do you have? [img][/img] [img][/img]
Not very big since I moved out of my parents house but my friends and I still find it fun to rip around the living room dogging dogs, chairs, legs, guitars and countless other things.