Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Santa is pondering a mini hobby grade car for my 3 year old son...

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Santa is pondering a mini hobby grade car for my 3 year old son...

Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Santa is pondering a mini hobby grade car for my 3 year old son...

I've been looking at cars for my 3 year old son. Pondering something like a Losi Mini-T or LST2. Reason being if something breaks, I can get parts. A mini will be easier to drive around the house as well. That and this could be something he grows into and lasts. On the other had - it's a chunk of $ to put down. If he(and eventually his little brother - currently 1 year old) enjoys this like I did with my brother, this car will be around for a bit. Dropping any $ on a cheap RC seems like money tossed away when something breaks or it gets replaced. Thinking I can dial the trim back on the throttle so it's not too fast so he can learn.

I'm sure others out there have been in my position with getting a car for a three year old. What did you do and how'd it turn out?

Appreciate any input!

somegeek
Old 12-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Radiner

Default RE: Santa is pondering a mini hobby grade car for my 3 year old son...

You should have a look at the Traxxas mini series. They are incredibly durable for a beginner, and there's always the Training mode which cut %50 of power off if you need it to go slower. I really think you should consider a 1/16 Mini E-revo Brushed version, like my self I have the brushless version and this thing can take a beat. But if you want a cheaper alternative you could always look at the 1/16 Slash Brushed.
Mini Lst2 I can't say a thing, due to the weak twin servos it really can't do much but if you upgrade the servos its great.
Mini-t is good for a beginner, yes, many parts available, "ok" speed out of the box but hey, fast enough for a 3 year old.
Anyway you should have a look at the Traxxas mini series first and see what your local hobby shop/other rc enthusiast below me recommend. Good luck
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXYAS2LL&P=FR
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXXWF3**&P=ML
Old 12-11-2010, 01:24 PM
nitroade

I started my daughter with a Losi mini Rock Crawler when she was 2. Reason being it was very easy to drive in the house and was not fast enough to damage anything yet still infinitely better than any Toysrus junk. She graduated to a High Roller when she turned 3. IMO, the problem with most minis are they are still probably too fast to drive indoors.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:27 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: somegeek

I've been looking at cars for my 3 year old son. Pondering something like a Losi Mini-T or LST2. Reason being if something breaks, I can get parts. A mini will be easier to drive around the house as well. That and this could be something he grows into and lasts. On the other had - it's a chunk of $ to put down. If he(and eventually his little brother - currently 1 year old) enjoys this like I did with my brother, this car will be around for a bit. Dropping any $ on a cheap RC seems like money tossed away when something breaks or it gets replaced. Thinking I can dial the trim back on the throttle so it's not too fast so he can learn.

I'm sure others out there have been in my position with getting a car for a three year old. What did you do and how'd it turn out?

Appreciate any input!

somegeek
YOU KNOW SANTA!!![X(][X(]

duratrax vendetta, that is one car they can make well. cheap, durable, fun.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Nitro Racer 18

Savage 5.9 with a turbo.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:57 PM
jermpool

I would go with a mini t or something from the losi line. I beleive the mini Lst2 is the same as the mini monster baja andif it is I wouldnt get it unless santa wants to bring an upgraded set of steering servos too. My favorite mini is the Mini DT.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:10 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Kinda leaning towards that mini-T at the moment. Can that handle smaller pinon gears to slow it down a bit and keep some torque?

somegeek
Old 12-12-2010, 07:57 AM
rcslsafut

the mini t is fun little r/c with a whole bunch of potential, good starter r/c even if you never upgrade it .
mini lst would be a little better if you intend on driving on rougher terrain . other than that i would go with a mini t or dt or db (all about the same)
the mini crawler would be a good starter r/c as well , once again kinda designed for rougher terrain. NO FUN AT ALL TO DRIVE ON LEVEL GROUND!
way to slow even for a kid !as far as gearing there are several motor and gear available for the mini t too so you could get it to go as fast or slow
as you desire ! hope that helps