Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Tmax aftermarket parts -source?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 01:48 AM
Doug Brindle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tmax aftermarket parts -source?

I'd like to convert my Tmax to NiCAD's and use a JR charge switch instead of putting batteries in it every hour or so of running.

Can anyone give me a good source for aftermarket parts? I'd like to buy an aluminum (or plastic) box to replace the battery housing, that I can mount a JR charge switch and install a NiCAD battery.

I've designed a box, and if I can't find one, I'll just hog it out of aluminum on a mill....but I'd like to see if one is available before I go to the trouble of making one...
-Doug Brindle
[email protected]
Old 04-11-2002, 08:54 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug,

A square four-cell pack made from AA cells will fit in the T-Maxx's battery box.

I guess you are talking about a flat pack?

I'm going to get a T-Maxx soon, and I checked one out at the local track. In addition to being able to use the existing battery box, there are several places where you can hang a switch, though you'll have to scrounge or fabricate a suitable mount for it.

If you're talking about the one-piece JR unit (which I am going to try to use), it would probably fit across the rear shock towers; but would also probably get trashed in a roll-over. Haven't measured that yet, just used the old "calibrated eyeball". When I get the truck, I'll figure out a place to put it; and I have a "regular" switch harness with separate charge jack ready just in case.

But I'm pretty sure a square pack will fit right in the existing plastic box...

Steve
Old 04-12-2002, 12:49 AM
Doug Brindle
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah,
I have the truck. A square nicad pack will fit inside the stock battery box...but they use a $1.99 switch, and there is no way to charge the battery unless you remove the battery from the box.

I'm an airplane guy...not a RC car guy, and I'm used to just being able to plug the charger cord right into the plane. I want to do the same with the truck.

I've got an aluminum box designed in autocad (I'm a aerospace-mechanical engineer by trade) to accomodate a square pack and a JR charge switch, and think I can get one made for about $40 or $50/each if I make one or two.

If I get a few made, say 6 or 8 of them, I could most likely get them for about $30-$35/each.

Anybody interested?
Old 04-17-2002, 08:24 PM
Madmaxx-RCU

Trinity makes a great 5-cell 6 volt pack that works great (1100mah). It fits in the stock battery box and is easy to mod so you have a small pigtail hanging out (1/4" long) of the side to plug the charger into. Aluminum battery boxes are available from Megatech or Dynamite. This is the set up we use at my hobby shop (Victory Lane Hobbies in Maine). Thanks and good luck---