Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Where do you store your lipos?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:12 PM
chunked foam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you store your lipos?

After seeing many videos of lipos setting on fire and reading horror stories of how some have gone into flames without mishandling them, I've become very paranoid.

As of now, I have my lipo stored in a flower pot made of clay with a brick on top of the flower pot. I was hoping to incorporate a cinderblock into keeping the fire contained if there be one. (Battery inside cinderblock, covered by bricks.) Something tells me the flower pot is not quite enough, as the videos online show some immense flames.

I was thinking about purchasing a metal box meant for ammo or tools..

What do you guys think? How do ya'll store your lipos?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:47 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

Default RE: Where do you store your lipos?

i store my lipos just like TBJ, on top of a box of printer paper, next to a wood table and a propane torch.

honestly im not that scared by lipos, if you dont do anything stupid to it, it should not burst into flames.
i just keep mines in a 3$ lipo bag...
Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep mine on a sheet of glass on my RC shelf.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:11 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep mine in my cell phone.

No, seriously, my Droid has the only lipo I own. But if I had some RC lipos, storing them would be a matter of throwing 'em in the battery tray and securing the hold-down. I would lose them if they weren't in the car. Charging them would be a different story, but since I have a genuine fireplace I'd just put 'em in there. They're not likely to go but even if they do they're in a place fire is supposed to happen so no harm will come to the house. I won't even get much smoke in the house, lol chimney.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:47 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the box with the rest of my batteries, which sits conveniently next to 3 jugs of nitro fuel, atop a wooden table in my spare bedroom. They dont spontaneously explode, and only pose a risk when charging. Really the only way you could get one to do anything while not charging would be to hit it with a hammer a few times, then puncture it... which would probably only make it release a small puff of smoke as the lithium oxidizes a little.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:08 PM
tommygun32

As I don't have a lot of room in my flat....I keep them in my car, in a lipo bag, in an ACE paint bucket, covered in cleaning rags....in the big sand lot on this side of the world...where outside temps can reach in excess of 50c....don't even want to think about interior temps.......NiMh's and LiPo's.....but I do store them in the LiPo Bag which I spent about 40 bucks on.

I also charge them in the bag...
Old 04-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Haddi Taha

i charge my lipos on my wooden table next to my laptop next to only 20+ cells of NiCd and NiMh. The table sits on a timber floor and half a feet away are curtains and 2 feet is my bed. I charge in a lipo charging sack mad by venom, i doubt its going to work like all the other venom stuff i owned.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:23 PM
The_Shark

charge in a metal pot, store... anywhere cept my pocket.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:40 PM
nitroade

Most on my hobby workshop table but inevitably, some end up on the dining room table. Seriously, they are not that dangerous if you treat them right; the urban legend just won't go away.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:37 PM
aftermarket

So they only explode if I physically damage/abuse it or charge it incorrectly? I may recall some stories where the lipo was fine but it exploded without cause 24 hours after the run.

Guess I've read too many of these stories. I'll probably invest in a lipo bag.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:40 PM
rc18junky

i have been keeping them in a cast iron pot but before i keep them in a broken toster oven
Old 04-10-2011, 05:49 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: aftermarket

So they only explode if I physically damage/abuse it or charge it incorrectly? I may recall some stories where the lipo was fine but it exploded without cause 24 hours after the run.

Guess I've read too many of these stories. I'll invest in a lipo bag and find a cinderblock to use.

Thanks again, guys.
sounds like the lipo was damaged, wires where shorted, still connected to esc ect.

these batteries are found in your lap top, in your iphone and in your cell phone under your ass. respect them, but dont fear them.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: aftermarket

Guess I've read too many of these stories. I'll invest in a lipo bag and find a cinderblock to use.

Thanks again, guys.
these stories are often exaggerated. You have to do something wrong to them for it to catch fire, they don't just self destruct on their own. Store it ina charging bag/ cinderblock then rest assured your house will be safe. They are just fires, not land mines.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:25 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I store mine in an Ammo can. I dont care if they are safe if you dont abuse them, id rather not take any chances because anything can happen. I charge in a bag.

Eric
Old 04-10-2011, 07:59 PM
chunked foam

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll stop by my lhs to pick up a lipo bag.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:24 AM
eddieC

I store mine in a BBQ grill in the summer, and in an old microwave in winter.

They can go off spontaneously, and it seems every club has a story or two. We had a guy had one go off in the back of his van, he was lucky to get it tossed out without too much damage. [X(]
Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 AM
cumquat

same place i charge it, in my rc. after i plugged the wires in backwards in one pack while it was in my hand and all that happened was a spark, they lost all scarieness... until i was running 'um in a BL 4wd 1/10 scale buggy
Old 04-11-2011, 05:30 AM
jp_boud

I store and charge my li-po's in a large ammo can with a "relief" hole drilled in the side that I also pass the chargers power cord through. I figure if this can can contain the force of exploding ammo rounds my little li-po will be fine too. I had the can on hand and figure it's small time insurance "just in case". Really the only thing you need, is to keep an eye on them while they charge and be ready to act if something does happen. (which probably won't)
Old 04-11-2011, 05:49 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: 378

I keep mine in my cell phone.

No, seriously, my Droid has the only lipo I own. But if I had some RC lipos, storing them would be a matter of throwing 'em in the battery tray and securing the hold-down. I would lose them if they weren't in the car. Charging them would be a different story, but since I have a genuine fireplace I'd just put 'em in there. They're not likely to go but even if they do they're in a place fire is supposed to happen so no harm will come to the house. I won't even get much smoke in the house, lol chimney.
I don't think you own a Lipo then , Most cell phones don't use Lipos they use L-ion also from my understandings Li-fe and Li-ion are less volatile then li poly

"Motorola BP6X A855 Droid OEM 1300mAh Standard Battery "
"HTC Droid Incredible Lithium Ion Battery (Li-Ion)with Black XT door, offers 3500 mAh battery capacity.Powerful 3500 mAh high capacity battery makes all the difference for the HTC Droid Incredible Cellular Phone user. "
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62946.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	1592212  
Old 04-11-2011, 06:23 AM
eddieC

these batteries are found in your lap top, in your iphone and in your cell phone
All those use Lithium-Ion, NOT li-po. 
Old 04-11-2011, 06:53 AM
The Hedgehog

Some cell phones do use LiPos FWIMFW
Old 04-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Eman77

FWIMFW?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 AM
aftermarket

I thought ammo cans were only to keep moisture away from bullets.. Not to stop self detonating ammo. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
plasma 327

I keep mine stacked on one another atop the lipo bag ontop of a oak bar(work table) with every thing else... I never leave them depleted or fully charged.. When done i put half a charge on them and done.. No worries for over 2 years..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tr49439.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	1592470  
Old 04-11-2011, 12:44 PM
lithiumx152

well i just like to keep my lipo battery in ma butox cuz when its there it keeps nice and warm , and if it did blow up into flames it will be nuttin buta minor gas issue FOR ME , trust me ik what i b talkin bout ma brotha from yo cute little dodo bird who sticks his hand in his phants while hes at school looking at he's sister in front of the teacher, yepy ki yay mother truckers[&:][X(][X(][&:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.