Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Looking for a cheap 1/8 off road.

Old 08-11-2003, 04:00 PM
drf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a cheap 1/8 off road.

Hello everyone.
I am looking for a cheap 1/8 offroad car. In particular I would like somthing with no engine or electronics and in kit form. At the same time I need it to be as CHEAP as possible. I will be changing most of the parts (or modifing them) to my needs. I am planning on using a four stroke airplane engine and custom suspension system (active suspension using electronics) thus I dont really care for it to be very good quality. It does have to be total crap though......

Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanx.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:42 AM
drf

Default Looking for a cheap 1/8 off road(Revised)

I though that something must be wrong for people to see my post but not reply. Actually the ending should have been "it does NOT have to be total cap though....."
Now it makes some sense.
To be a bit more psecific on what I am looking for.
I am targeting on the lowest possible cost. I have an engine to use thus the kit does not need to have one. If it is cheaer with the engine then obviously it would be better. Also I looking for a kit in order to reduce price as usually RTR are more expensive. ARTR would do as well, I would just take it apart once I had it in my hands.

I hope I will get some suggestions now.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:52 AM
jsswcks

try towerhobbys i think they had the best price on 1/8 scale
but i havent seen to many rolling chassis for 1/8
also try ebay under nitro rc cars. hope this helps
Old 08-12-2003, 03:24 PM
drf

I checked tower and the cheapest that suits my need is this one
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAXV2&P=0

It the Ofna MBX R2 for $189.99

Does anyone has any idea of anything cheaper or something that would be easier to find in europe?
Old 08-12-2003, 04:50 PM
brainleak
My Feedback: (1)

The one requires a engine. The kit if you bought it for 189. you would end up spending at LEAST another $120 bucks on a .21 engine. To be honest i think its gonna be hard to get into 1/8th scale with a budget under 400 usd. The bigger the scale the more $$$ you gotta fork out
Old 08-12-2003, 05:18 PM
drf

True but I am not going to put a car engine to it.
A kyosho GS21R engine costs 130 where I am (~$210)
A airplane engine (48) costs 45 (~$75).
I have an inductrial lathe so I can make the heatsink head myself and a 48 will be much more powerfull that a 21 engine so I will be probably running 5% nitro or something. Engine ($75) and car ($180)gives me 225 (I already have the radio equipment)
I believe it is a very good deal for 1/8 off road.
And to make it a bit more complete I would not have to pay for the engine at all as my father has about 25 engines in total(all aircarft) and obviously one of them I could use. That brings me down the the kit price itself. Thats why I am looking for a kit with no engine.
My question is, is there anything cheaper than this ofna buggy????????
Old 08-12-2003, 07:19 PM
Callidus

I thought of the idea of dropping one of my OS 42's (aircraft engine) in to a car and couldnt really see a reason why not until i though about it a bit.

The OS 42 will rev upto 28,000 rpm safely where as the NT-16 in my Cen Rally rev's too 33,000; so a small difference in top speed.

The larger aircraft engine having more torque will have quicker acceleration but be susceptible to over rev and damage the con rod or something.

Lastly the aircraft engine being a .42 will require more air over it to cool which you may not get on the ground.

Just a few thoughts.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:50 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

.48 airplane engine isnt even going to come close to what a .21 car engine puts out. you would get tons of tourqe with the .48 but your top speed will suck badly. It is possible but I think you would be much happier if you bought the kit now and then later when you have the cash buy a car engine. also how are you planning on starting the airplane engine??
Old 08-12-2003, 08:40 PM
drf

The lower rpm is not a problem, you just have to gear it up so you get up to a good top speed.
The cooling suffers so I will make a new head for it, much bigger than the aero one. (I have a lathe so it ieasy to make one)Probably the size would be enormous but I wll put a rally body to it so I will have enough space.
Obviously I cannot put a pull start to it but even if I could a pull start for a .48 engine????It would tear it apart.
I think that the crankshaft is long enough to mount the bell and the disk to start the engine using a starter box. (which was my intention after all-I hete pull starts)
Old 08-13-2003, 01:17 AM
nitroman88

you can only gear so high with out modifying the chassis
Old 08-13-2003, 01:54 AM
drf

I will be modifuing the chassis anyway (fill the point I dont need with aluminium and make them again) Probably has a lot of work to fit a bigger engine as I dont think the mounting holes for the .21 would fix.

What I have in my head is quite complex (and probably obscure)
but I need a starting point. The car would be somewhat like a laboratory mouse.

Is the ofna buggy I am lloking the cheapest way though???????
Does anyone know of anything cheaper???????
Old 08-13-2003, 02:03 AM
Shadow102

honestly that will prolly be the cheapest way to go. you could also go with a GT LX rtr and sell off the brand new radio system and brand new force .21 for cash and then just use the chassis they are only about 250usd if i remember correctly but they also might have been discontinued