Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

electric "supercharger"

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Nate04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric "supercharger"

ok ive seen the way posts go supernovawhen people start talkin about rc turbos and superchargers so im gonna tryin en ease my way into this one lol. now im talkin about the electric world NOT nitro (which im aware doesnt work do to 2 stroke design and no valves)with that saidis there/has there been/ or has anyone ever heard of a supercharger for and electric car? i know its possible as well as debateble on the fact that the load and weight of another force would counter act the power made but i think and im sure most others will agree that the idea is pretty awesome. ive been recently playing with and making generators and throughout my research im positive that with a veryefficientdc motor and the right circuit it could be pretty effective. just my thoughts not tryin to start up a big flame fest i just was curious on other folks input to this idea. let me know what you think!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:32 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: electric

...Unnecessary and won't work anyways. The DC motor won't provide enough power to turn itself, let alone give you a boost, and besides electrics are so damn powerful as it is that the tires can't cope. Why would you want more power when you've already got so much you can't use more than half throttle without the tires going up in smoke?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Nate04

why do it? why not? its a hobby and hobbies are ment to keep your creativity alive and thriving! now with ther proper setup running a secondary motor off the drive shaft for instance a blet driver turning the motor will indeed create with no problem 6v's. which would relisticly come out to 2/3v's of gain which would be a slight yet noticalbe amount of "boost" if you will.it could also act as a sort of"on board generator" back to the battery extending run time. not by hours of coarse but an extra chunk non the less. again i know it would be easier to upgrade your battery or motor or esc but again like i said just something interesting i was thinking of that would be new and fun.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Superchargers and turbochargers work by forcing air in thru the induction chamber at a higher rate and pressure, aiding in bigger combustion and more power. If your electric motors are combusting, you are doing it wrong.

*sits back and waits for Sloppy g and TBJ to rip it up*
Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 AM
stoya789

I think what you are trying to do is overunity, because the supercharger motor can't add any power to the overall system. But a capacitor type of "supercharger" might work the same way a capacitor is used in cameras to energize the flash bulb for brief moments. The capacitor would charge up gradually and then could be unloaded, similar to a nitrous boost bottle.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Nate04

ya i thought of using a capacitor but then it wouldnt be a constant power additive and HimmlerHimselfi meant a supercharger "effect" not forced induction to a dc motor and your corect that definitely would be doing it wrong haha. again like i said im not tryin to stir up a debate just a fun idea
Old 06-14-2011, 04:46 PM
The Mad Modder

The problem is, due to friction, any generator that you hook up will require more power to turn than it would add.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:56 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

capacitor.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Clmbngfrk18

Unfortunatly by hooking a 2nd motor to the drive shaft your just causing your other motor to use more power both to spin the other motor and the added weight to the car any enegery created it just being used to run the 2nd motor. And with the added weight you actully lose more power than you gain. It's kinda like putting 1 cookie in the cookie jar and taking out 2 it just doesn't happen. Unfortunately it takes energy to make energy. And it's takes more to make less. So until you can perfect teslas idea of sending energy with out wires I don't see it working
Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

capacitor.
I agree that this would be the most realistic and effective booster for an electric motor system.

In a sense, you are talking about creating a perpetual motion machine and so far as science has proven it doesn't exist. The theory of an electric motor turning a generator to create electirc power which in turn powers the drive motor won't work because the amount of energy required to turn the generator is greater than the amount of power the generator could create.

Now, if you want to get creative with alternate RC power systems then why not dry to develop a hybrid nitro-electric power system? I admit it wouldn't be as easy as hooking up an engine and a motor to a chassis but, using the electric motor for regenerative braking can help extend run times and the electric motor would help reduce fuel consumption. Just a thought.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 PM
xerxes

hook up a 9v alkaline batt paralelld 2 ur brushd motor wit a switch powerd by a servo.
flip o' da switch & boom. a xtra 9v superchargd boost
Old 06-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a slow discharge capacitor would be about the only way to add a supercharge effect to aneletric set up and even then it would be more of a nitrous boost effect then a constant flow of power like a supercharger would add.
If you add a normal cap that discharges instantly all at once you would just waste the power on wheel spin or just fry your eletronics.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:06 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Rockets are the answer.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:04 AM
FahrtAutoRC

ORIGINAL: xerxes

hook up a 9v alkaline batt paralelld 2 ur brushd motor wit a switch powerd by a servo.

Whatever you do, do not take advice from somebody who is from the U.S.A., as per his location on the left, yet butchers the English language everytime he sits at a keyboard...
Old 06-15-2011, 03:58 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: HimmlerHimself

Whatever you do, do not take advice from somebody who is from the U.S.A., as per his location on the left, yet butchers the English language everytime he sits at a keyboard...
Plus, I could be wrong, but when you are running a RC battery pack and hook in a 9v alkaline, wouldn't the main battery try to charge it since the 9v would have a lower capacity?
I think there's a reason manufacturers tell us to not mix battery types...
Old 06-15-2011, 06:58 AM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: HimmlerHimself

Plus, I could be wrong, but when you are running a RC battery pack and hook in a 9v alkaline, wouldn't the main battery try to charge it since the 9v would have a lower capacity?
I think there's a reason manufacturers tell us to not mix battery types...
you are wrong. in parallel the battery pack wouldn't even know that there was a second pack.

i have had similar ideas. in theory this could work if tech was at that level but its not. what you are trying to achieve is essentially perpetual motion. at this point, its nothing more than a theory.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Nate04

im not trying to get perpetual motion just an extra boost of power and perpetual motion isnt a completetheroy its just incredibly hard to get right
Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 AM
stoya789

maybe you could harness the magnetic field of the planet... or maybe do like tesla did and transmit electricity wirelessly... no need for any onboard battery! or maybe you could come up with a new solar cell technology that is ultra efficient at converting solar energy into electricity. don't tell the government/military about it though, they will squash you like a bug if they found you were using black ops technology! that technology is kept on the down low to keep the american dollar/economy afloat, which is backed by oil.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:56 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: stoya789

maybe you could harness the magnetic field of the planet... or maybe do like tesla did and transmit electricity wirelessly... no need for any onboard battery! or maybe you could come up with a new solar cell technology that is ultra efficient at converting solar energy into electricity. don't tell the government/military about it though, they will squash you like a bug if they found you were using black ops technology! that technology is kept on the down low to keep the american dollar/economy afloat, which is backed by oil.
Sorry, bro, but as good of a band as they are, ThunderbirdJunkie cannot allow you to perpetuate the myth that they did anything with electricity.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, you need to stop commenting for a while.

As for an electric "turbo charger", you may want to look into making some mosfet circuits that feed off a different battery. They work like small relays. You would run it between the motor and ESC. Of course you would need to set up some beefy schottky diodes to keep the added voltage from bleeding back into the ESC. This mosfet board would be controlled by your 3rd channel... you hit the switch on your transmitter and instantly dump the extra juice into your motor. I would not try using a capacitor, the voltage spike would probably roast your ESC.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Clmbngfrk18

ORIGINAL: Nate04

im not trying to get perpetual motion just an extra boost of power and perpetual motion isnt a complete theroy its just incredibly hard to get right
It actually is just a theory to have perpetual motion you have to have a frictionless setup and as we all know friction it everywhere ESP when creating electricity so until some on can get rid of friction it's is just a theory
Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 AM
stoya789

why is that? the truth hurts, doesn't it? I've seen countless inventors (including tesla) that were either bought out, patent trolled, or murdered. why do you think we have been using the same (ancient technology) for over a centurey, the gas guzzling internal combustion engine? do you deny the fact the american government is suppressing technology that may threaten the dollar? you do know the dollar is backed by oil??? why do u think 9/11 happened? let me guess, you think it was bin ladens fault...lol? it had to do with OIL.

bottom line is that any technology that threatens our dependence on oil with be snuffed out, I can guarantee you that! without the dependence on oil, the dollar is worthless, the economy collapses, people lose thier jobs, commit suicide, chaos ensues.

this is no secret, this is no conspiracy, this is the reality. do your homework.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:03 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why is that? the truth hurts, doesn't it? I've seen countless inventors (including tesla) that were either bought out, patent trolled, or murdered. why do you think we have been using the same (ancient technology) for over a centurey, the gas guzzling internal combustion engine? do you deny the fact the american government is suppressing technology that may threaten the dollar? you do know the dollar is backed by oil??? why do u think 9/11 happened? let me guess, you think it was bin ladens fault...lol? it had to do with OIL.

bottom line is that any technology that threatens our dependence on oil with be snuffed out, I can guarantee you that! without the dependence on oil, the dollar is worthless, the economy collapses, people lose thier jobs, commit suicide, chaos ensues.

this is no secret, this is no conspiracy, this is the reality. do your homework.
Most of Tesla's inventions were junk and unfeasible. His "wireless" electricity? A gimmick.

I hate our dependance on oil as much as the next person, but oil is cheap. The government is not "snuffing out" inventions in favor of the stuff. There is not some super secret high efficiency engine that government has covered up.

Stop reading between the lines. Our schools and universities are far more powerful than oil companies. Do your homework, but dont read too far into it.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:10 PM
stoya789

The government is not "snuffing out" inventions in favor of the stuff. There is not some super secret high efficiency engine that government has covered up.
yes they are, and yes there is. ughh[&:] this isn't the first time i've had this discussion.... quite frankly i don't know why i brought it up... habit i guess. there have been MANY alternatives to oil in the past century. likely hundreds. it sounds crazy i know, but when you understand the reason why, that the entire economy and currency of this country is backed by oil, it is easier to comprehend.

look, before someone gets all flustered and says 9/11 wasn't because of oil, i'll briefly explain why it was. all countries have to convert to american dollars before they buy oil.this basically creates a demand for american dollars all around the world. when saddam hussain decided he wanted to trade oil in euros instead of dollars, he dug his own grave. george bush had decided to invade iraq in order to snuff him out. in order to do this, bush needed a catalyst... a pearl harbor. 9/11 was just that. the attacks on the trade centers were engineered by the bush administration and used as propaganda, otherwise known as the "war on terror", this allowed him to invade iraq and snuff out hussein. bin ladin was nothing more than a mere scapegoat.

funny isn't it? how the media manipulates people... in fact nearly a decade later people are still convinced bin ladin is the enemy!!why? because most people don't do their homework. they get home from work, flip on the 6 o'clock news, crack open a beer and listen to the news reporter read from the teleprompter.

yeah, ok, your probably right. i'm sorry for bringing this topic up, and derailing this thread a bit. It's a bad habit of mine[&:] SORRY!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: cumquat

you are wrong. in parallel the battery pack wouldn't even know that there was a second pack.
All sources I've been able to find agree that it's a bad idea to hook together two batteries of different voltages and types.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22981
http://www.blurtit.com/q248602.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.