Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

traxxas slash 2wd or duratrax evader dt

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

traxxas slash 2wd or duratrax evader dt

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:59 PM
jimmy45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traxxas slash 2wd or duratrax evader dt

hi im going to be buying an electric rc and the two that i am most interested in are the traxxas slash and duratrax dt, in your opinion which would be better for bashing and has better durability. I saw some reviews for the duratrax and it looked pretty durable. Just wondering which is a better basher. thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 03:26 PM
stoya789

Default RE: traxxas slash 2wd or duratrax evader dt

the slash is better. has more support//////////////////, more upgrades, more popular, beteer customer support, bettr parts avalability, traxxas has a whole forum dedicted to it, traxxas even has a full size slash (sct)that they take to events. its a better basher, looks better, better radio, better parts quality, more durable (by far), better manual (color photo and beginner friendly), better motor/esc, better suspension, faster, stronger, built to scale/race spec. need i go on?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:35 PM
sloppyG

anything traxxas and 2wd is overpriced for what you get and a pain in the butt to repair/work on

it's basically like paying $200 for a truck that's of similar quality to stuff that's $140
Old 06-14-2011, 03:50 PM
stoya789

i forgot to mention that duratrax products are "fly by night"! they constantly discontinue their products leaving customers stranded. basically their customer support is a joke. traxxas still sells and supports the products they made from day 1. they still sell stampedes, 4tec's, rustlers, etc. they even sell a "classic" style t-maxx based on the original release. bottom line is you know you won't be left in the dark when you buy a traxxas product.

anything traxxas and 2wd is overpriced for what you get and a pain in the butt to repair/work on

it's basically like paying $200 for a truck that's of similar quality to stuff that's $140
and its worth every penny. you buy cheap, you buy twice.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 PM
sloppyG

it's most certainly not worth every penny, the losi SCT or AE SC10 are just two RC's that are the same price as the traxxas slash but are of much higher quality

if you're talking about the brushless version, the slash is $300, the SC10 $250... higher quality and cheaper.

the slash may be a better choice than a evader DT, but it's still a poor choice.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:45 PM
jimmy45

ok thanks i think i will go with the slash 2wd for its quality, durability and upgrades.and because its waterproof
Old 06-14-2011, 07:09 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

OP, get an SC10 Brushless. The Slash 2.4 version is MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE BRUSHLESS SC10!!

And it's not as tough.

Waterproof...nothing is waterproof. The SC10 Brushless is pretty much exactly as waterproof as the Slash, which is also not waterproof, despite Traxxas' claims.

ORIGINAL: stoya789

i forgot to mention that duratrax products are ''fly by night''! they constantly discontinue their products leaving customers stranded. basically their customer support is a joke. traxxas still sells and supports the products they made from day 1. they still sell stampedes, 4tec's, rustlers, etc. they even sell a ''classic'' style t-maxx based on the original release. bottom line is you know you won't be left in the dark when you buy a traxxas product.

So you're saying the Evader line, that's been around for almost a decade, is a fly by night line with no parts support ever?

Just asking. Especially since the upgrades on the newer ones are backwards-compatible to the older ones.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:06 PM
xerxes

i forgot to mention that duratrax products are ''fly by night''! they constantly discontinue their products leaving customers stranded. basically their customer support is a joke. traxxas still sells and supports the products they made from day 1. they still sell stampedes, 4tec's, rustlers, etc. they even sell a ''classic'' style t-maxx based on the original release. bottom line is you know you won't be left in the dark when you buy a traxxas product.

aktually.......
da evader line has bin around fer about 10yrs now & isnt goin anywhere, sinse its duratraxs most profitable endeavor
Old 06-14-2011, 09:12 PM
xerxes

i chose evader dt ovr evry othr 2wd sct. now wit my sidewinder sc 3800 setup, steel idler, bearing kit, & naked body, its a super lightweight rocket dat wheelies all day long.
evn had a few slash guys compliment its cornering. dat made me smile
Old 06-15-2011, 09:17 AM
jimmy45

The sc10 looks really good but im looking for a basher and the sc10 looks more like a racer
Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fly by night? Duratrax may not design their stuff all that great, but they sure as hell have better customer service than just about any other company.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:18 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: jimmy45

The sc10 looks really good but im looking for a basher and the sc10 looks more like a racer
Race cars make the best bashers because they're stronger.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Really depends on what you want. The two trucks couldn't be any more different. I own both and the slash is a great fun SCT. Tough as nails and fun to run. Reasonably quick stock and very reliable if you get one of the good Titan motors.

The DT is also a fun truck but in a different way. It's more scale and a whole lot smaller. I've been burned bad y a few Duratrax cars and trucks but I had to give this new model a try and I'm happy to say that it's much better than any of the previous Vader series cars. My only complaint is the arms flex so much its makes the handling goofy but they haven't broken yet. Mines running a Titan motor and XL5 ESC I had laying around. The stock 20T motor is a dog and the stock steering servo can hardly turn the stock tires so plan to replace both of these items.

Both are fun trucks.. Just depends on what you want,
Old 06-15-2011, 11:04 AM
stoya789

duratrax = duratrash
Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 AM
gPlayer234

Everyone is saying Traxxas sucks, but I have to disagree. Every Traxxas I've owned has been very durable, plus EVERY hobby shop carries parts for them. I think some of their stuff may be somewhat overpriced, but I've never had an issue with anything being poor quality.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Scottgir

1. Are you EVER going to race, if yes, don't get the Duratrax DT because it won't qualify. It's designed to LOOK like a short course truck, but it's not a legal to race one. All Duratrax did was take their Evader v2.0 platform and put the truck body on it. The wheelbase and overall dimensions are smaller than other true short course trucks, like the slash, sc10, blitz etc.

2. As much as I LIKE duratrax, I've owned 3 versions of the evader (ST, BX pro and EXT) you'll end up investing the same amount of money in a vader to bring it up to par as if you bought an SC10 brushless or a slash VXL.

3. I would recommend the SC10 brushless RTR hands down over the slash or any other RTR for that matter. It's the best dollar value in RC right now. PS, I'm not an associated fanboy, if HPI had a blitz flux, I'd recommend that one over the SC10, but that's a different sotry. The SC10 is less money for a better overall vehicle. I've owned both. The SC10 is as durable as the slash but drives MUCH MUCH better and is AMAZINGLY less money.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:16 PM
501st

Hey this is off sub but what body should i get for the Traxxas Stampede?
Old 07-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Chucksolo69

Just remember OP, EVERYTHING is subjective. Not everyone is going to like the same things. I find it funny what people say about Traxxas, yet they can't explain why Traxxas is so darn popular. I have nothing against ANY manufacturers except maybe those that don't sell parts in hobby stores. I have had Traxxas, AE, OFNA, Losi and never had trouble with any. About the only brand I won't buy, and it's a legacy thing, is HPI; but that's another story. You can't really ask, which should I get, or which is better, because you will bring out the brand prejudice every time. The right thing to do is research both, go to your LHS and check out parts for differentbrands of cars and make your decision based upon what you find out. Around my neck of the woods, N. San Diego County,SoCal, I know a lot of people who own the 4WD and 4WD Slashes. I know no one who owns the Duratrax Evader DT, why, none of the LHS in my area hardly carry anyparts for it.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:32 PM
sloppyG

everyone knows why traxxas is so popular, they've made it easy for someone to jump into the hobby by just buying one box (and they are in just about every hobby shop)

they put a very nice looking body, and a shiny box with claims of 65 mph on it around a RC chassis from the early 90's

they also have a website with lots of "amazing" videos to wow a newbie

I started with a traxxas, but I did quickly learn how it's quality was behind other RC's

Old 07-01-2011, 02:39 PM
rcslsafut

I HATE MY DURATRAX EVADER!!! that thing is the biggest Piece .. .... i have ever owned !!!!! it just doesnt work like it should !
traxxas hands down, wins this compairision !!!!!
and i am not really bias , but of all the brands i have had (traxxas ,losi, ae ,hpi, duratrax,venom, )
the team associated rigs have been the best imho !
Old 07-01-2011, 07:08 PM
ZeroKelvin
Banned

i forgot to mention that duratrax products are "fly by night"! they constantly discontinue their products leaving customers stranded. basically their customer support is a joke. traxxas still sells and supports the products they made from day 1. they still sell stampedes, 4tec's, rustlers, etc. they even sell a "classic" style t-maxx based on the original release. bottom line is you know you won't be left in the dark when you buy a traxxas product.
duratrax products are 'fly by night'?, sounds like you know this firsthand, how about some examples of vehicles where this is true?

Also, I love my traxxas vehicles, but come on, they DONOT sell/support products they made from day one. I am into vintage traxxas nitro, have a nitro hawk and nitro buggy from the mid 90's. Many of the parts on those vehicles are NOT available anymore, no longer made, period.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:14 PM
jimmy45

Im gonna go with the slash and upgrade to brushless after i have had the titan motor for while. I will probably go with sidewinder sct system instead of the velineon.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:23 PM
xerxes

da slash is da bettr choise if u plan on usin a high powerd brushless systm.

i got da 2s sidewinder sct 3800 setup on my dt. wicked fast plus wheelys on demand.

but..... a sidewinder sct on a slash, & a evader dt. "geared for identical temps on 2s", da evader dt will b faster since its smaller, lighter, with smaller wheels.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

everyone knows why traxxas is so popular, they've made it easy for someone to jump into the hobby by just buying one box (and they are in just about every hobby shop)
I thought it was cause they throw the most cash into advertising, and doing hype campaigns for their new RC's
Also they sell their stuff in pepboys, and toys R us, which I'm sure added to their popularity

To the OP Traxxas are not the worst, but they are not the best either I own 3 so I'm not being biased
The Traxxas 2wd's IMO are not worth the money. If going 2wd throw in $30, and look at one of the others like the Blitz or something.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

I have no problems with the Slash. Actually, I love my Slash 4x4. But if I were having this debate, I'd stay away from Duratrax. I have had 2 Evaders and they were nothing but problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.