Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

getting back into hobby after 4yrs, need help!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

getting back into hobby after 4yrs, need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:22 AM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting back into hobby after 4yrs, need help!!

Ok, so I have been away from the forums and RC for about 4 years now. On my shelves I have a few different things setting and kinda what to see how far behind the curve I am and what the current recommendations are.
I basically have 3 custom vehicles running original Mamba Max controllers and CM36 motors (5700 & 8800). My batteries are all toast, so need latest lipo recommendations. I have an ICE charger and integy power supply that I need to know if its still good. I know my radios are outdated and I need to move to 2.4ghz, so need recommendations there also. I will try to get more specifics up as I slowing try to revive some facet of my hobby.
Thanks for any and all insight.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Default RE: getting back into hobby after 4yrs, need help!!

Almost nothing has changed in four years.. Any main manufacturer four years ago is still around.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dunno if you were aware of hobbyking 4 years ago, but this is where to get lipos. www.hobbyking.com . If you haven't seen it, you're in for a shock how cheap lipos are these days. hobbypartz.com also has some good deals and free shipping to the US. Much as I disapprove of going to the big Chinese distributors over local outlets, in the case of lipo batteries, the price difference simply can't be ignored. In many cases the batteries are less than 1/3rd of the price of brands like maxamps, and they are perfectly fine batteries. You may occasionally (very rare) get a dead cell, but at these prices, it's not only understandable, but to be expected. Don't bother returning them when it happens, just order another.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Ducat1

Hobbypartz is probly you best bet for lipos and 2.4ghz. You can pick up the flysky 2.4ghz for 35buck great deal it's an awesome controller and looks great batteries are really cheap and good quality. Your battery charger should br still good I'f its a lipo charger.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Scottgir

ORIGINAL: Ducat1

Hobbypartz is probly you best bet for lipos and 2.4ghz. You can pick up the flysky 2.4ghz for 35buck great deal it's an awesome controller and looks great batteries are really cheap and good quality. Your battery charger should br still good I'f its a lipo charger.
This! With a couple add ons

Hobbypartz cant be beat for what you need. Get their $19 2channel 2.4 or the much better 3 channel $35 (both flysky). Pick up a couple $25 lipos (dependant on your vehicle, just going by your motor and esc). Your charger is fine, except you need a balance attachment for it (Lipos need to be balanced, the ICE charges lipos but doesn't balance them).
Old 08-18-2011, 03:26 PM
hands without shadows

Flysky GT3B is the hot new budget hackable radio. It can be modified for 6 channels and any kind of expo/subtrim/mixing/etc you might want.

Short Course trucks are a new trend.