Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Had my first runaway RC!!

Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had my first runaway RC!!

Went to my favorite bashing spot this evening with my Savages. When I went to start up the XL I forgot to switch my Tx to the correct vehicle and when it fired up it took off at WOT for 150 feet. I can't express how lucky I was as it got caught in a thick plant meer inches from a 5 foot deep pond. To say the least, I probablywould have lost the brand new Spektrum reciever and possibly the brand new steering servo that Ijust bought. My wife and daughter, however, thought that it was the funniest thing ever and were laughing their a**es off.

Other than that it was probably the best bashing day that I have had in a LONG time. Neither truck broke despite the fact that this spot has 10-15 20ft dirt\rock piles. AND I got my wife to play with the XL.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Big Alice

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Had my first runaway RC!!

You need a throtle return spring on that thing. Stops that kinda stuff from happening.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: Big Alice

You need a throtle return spring on that thing. Stops that kinda stuff from happening.
It has one, though, I haven't really looked at it so maybe its broke.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:07 PM
DarkFire989

Buy one of these.

[link]http://www.killerrc.com/products/nitro_killswitch.php[/link]

I have the gas one in ALL my large scales. Run aways are a thing of the past.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 PM
9five9

I don't have much experience with nitros, but back in college, me and a buddy were running our trucks by the lake on campus, and his T-maxx went off into the lake. I'll never forget that moment. the thing actually drove on top of the water for a few feet, then it sunk like.....well....like a T-maxx.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Sigma.40

My reciever supposedly has a failsafe but when I binded the reciever the throttle control were reversed, so when I thought I set the failsafe to full brake and straight steering I really set it to full throttle and straight steering.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 PM
hands without shadows

With enough power and tire tread you can drive right over water. So you should probably buy paddle tires just in case it ever happens again.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:10 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

I had a hyper 7 take off on me one day. the battery fell out and got disconnected and the buggy just took off at WOT. I never did find it[:@]
Old 08-26-2011, 04:14 AM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: yakfish

I had a hyper 7 take off on me one day. the battery fell out and got disconnected and the buggy just took off at WOT. I never did find it[:@]
OK, now you have to go into more detail...how did you not find it? It had to stop somewhere. That sucks.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:47 AM
9five9

That's something you don't stop looking for.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:48 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

I had the exact same thing happen to a nitro stampede, something came unplugged and the truck took off down a hill and into some woods. The sun was going down so I couldn't see very well, I looked for an hour and never found it. Came back the next day and still couldn't find it. It went pretty far into the woods too, I could hear the engine running wot right up until I reached wood line, then it died.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:18 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

OK, now you have to go into more detail...how did you not find it? It had to stop somewhere. That sucks.
I was running it in a larger gravel parking lot when it took off. it went across the road. across the road there is another large parking lot some woods and a large pond I spent about an hour searching for it and even went back the next day to see if I could find it but I never did. Shortly afterwards I bought another Hyper 7. they are great buggies but the reciever battery tray is a design flaw that a zip tie can fix!

ORIGINAL: 9five9
That's something you don't stop looking for.
I descided to just cut my losses and learn from my mistakes. I haven't had a run away since!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:12 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had 1 runaway. I had just put a DX3S radio kit into one of my LST2's. I had a Venom failsafe w/ temp gauge that I had on it for the temp function only since the temp sensor lead isnt long enough to reach the radio box on the LST2.. I never set the failsafe up since the radio had one that I did set properly. One of my bashing spots is a big parking lot for a park down by the mississippi river. I was turning the truck around to bring it back for a carb adjustment and it stopped turning, throttle tweaked a little and WOT it went straight off a 30 foot cliff into the river. I scratched my head because I had the failsafe in the radio set and the Rx pack was charged and reading 6.8v. After drying it off, everything still worked except the Venom Failsafe didnt. I opened it up and found the 3 wires going to the Rx were frayed and only holding by 1 strand of wire, the rest shorted out and must have signaled the servo to go WOT.

I had to replace 1 bearing in one of my 645MG servos but everything still works, though I tossed the failsafe in the trash. I resoldered the wires but the FS was fried.

When I ran/climbed down to get the truck it was still running albeit half submerged. I carried the truck back up the bluff face and checked it all over. Considering it went through the woods, hit a tree and plummeted, it survived unscathed. No more runaways since I pulled the FS/Temp unit off. Lesson learned on my part.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:41 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I have had 1 runaway. I had just put a DX3S radio kit into one of my LST2's. I had a Venom failsafe w/ temp gauge that I had on it for the temp function only since the temp sensor lead isnt long enough to reach the radio box on the LST2.. I never set the failsafe up since the radio had one that I did set properly. One of my bashing spots is a big parking lot for a park down by the mississippi river. I was turning the truck around to bring it back for a carb adjustment and it stopped turning, throttle tweaked a little and WOT it went straight off a 30 foot cliff into the river. I scratched my head because I had the failsafe in the radio set and the Rx pack was charged and reading 6.8v. After drying it off, everything still worked except the Venom Failsafe didnt. I opened it up and found the 3 wires going to the Rx were frayed and only holding by 1 strand of wire, the rest shorted out and must have signaled the servo to go WOT.

I had to replace 1 bearing in one of my 645MG servos but everything still works, though I tossed the failsafe in the trash. I resoldered the wires but the FS was fried.

When I ran/climbed down to get the truck it was still running albeit half submerged. I carried the truck back up the bluff face and checked it all over. Considering it went through the woods, hit a tree and plummeted, it survived unscathed. No more runaways since I pulled the FS/Temp unit off. Lesson learned on my part.
You had the venom failsafe AND the spektrum one? That's why it went WOT...
Old 09-01-2011, 07:55 PM
rcslsafut

this is what happened with my brothers nearly new truck , fatal run away ! throttle return spring, fail safe came later
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27343.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1656385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86050.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1656386  
Old 09-01-2011, 09:33 PM
basketballfan60123

Wow!!! DEja Vu
I've had a few runaways with that very same truck (S-Maxx).
Welcome to the crowd.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Ttowntoolman

I had a few runaway's in my time but the most recent was an Associated GT. I just got done porting the sleeve and put the engine back in the truck. Fired it up and made some adjustments while sitting on the bump box all was good so I put it down. Made two passes on the street out front when I went to turn around I throttled it pretty hard out of the hole and she took off WOT for about 12 feet when it hit an apple that fell out of the tree overhanging the road. It tumbled for a short time and cranked about 50,000 rpms while tumbling. I ran to the truck and tried to snuff out with my shoe on the flywheel, which somehow became loose on the engine. The rod breaking inside finally stopped it. [&o] The throttle arm popped off the carb which caused the original problem, the flywheel coming loose was just a bonus. Fail safe non existant.