Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

cheap 2.4ghz systems from hobbyparts?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

cheap 2.4ghz systems from hobbyparts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:06 PM
s7jstep1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap 2.4ghz systems from hobbyparts?

anybody here ever use the cheap 2.4ghz radio systems from hobbypartz? i was thinking of selling the airtronics m8 and all of my am/fm radio gear and just get the 2.4 systems for all my trucks. what do you think?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:03 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: cheap 2.4ghz systems from hobbyparts?

The M8 is better than any "cheap" 2.4ghz system. If you want 2.4ghz save a bit more money and get something from Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, or another Airtronics.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: sheograth

The M8 is better than any ''cheap'' 2.4ghz system. If you want 2.4ghz save a bit more money and get something from Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, or another Airtronics.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there mate (not that the m8 is a better radio, it surely is). The expensive branded systems are worth it to a serious racer due to adjustability and a 'complete' range of settings. However those of us who no longer race or never plan to, need not waste money on expensive systems. A much bigger issue for the basher with many models is the cost of receivers. When i buy a new model, if i want to use my 3pk with spektrum pro, its another 100 bucks (i dont want the ginormous ones for 50 bucks) for an rx. That is frankly outrageous.

The hobbypartz flysky gt3b has every setting i care about, and most importantly, the receivers are 7 bucks. I have used one on several occasions under the Ansmann brand, and it really is a great radio. The real icing though is the cost of receivers. My 3pk will be retiring as soon as hobbyking gets them back in stock. I would have got one from hobbypartz but i refuse to deal with them for reasons i cant be bothered to go into relating to their treatment and delivery cost for people in my region.

Bottom line, since i said i'm retiring my 3pk which already has a 2.4ghz module, u can imagine what i think of an fm m8.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:05 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fair enough

I still have a 3PK and love it.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:25 AM
jermpool

I bought a cheap 2.4 for my son from my lhs for $40, receivers are $16. I believe it is the same one that you are looking at. The only problem we have had is binding. It took me a good 5 minutes to get it to bind. Other than that it has done the job.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:14 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I have 3 of these radio's (two 2 channels, and one of the 3ch units with LED display and 10 model memory) as well as 5 receivers and have not had a single problem from the first one of them. They all work great and i have no interference with them. The 3ch FSgt3b that i have is really nice with the 10 model memory and lots of settings. There just is no reason to go with an AM or FM system with these around anymore IMO.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:15 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Fair enough

I still have a 3PK and love it.
Mine's 12 years old, it's gonna have to go soon. I'll probably mount it on the wall with a plaque underneath saying 'The immortal...' lol
Old 09-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Karontu

i use one in my rusty, i've used a futaba 3pl and as a basher they both work the same, and for about 80$ cheaper i'll stick with the flysky cheapo 2.4ghz
Old 09-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Greekspeare

I have been VERY happy with the Futaba 3PRKA

in NYC, and especially my area (close to LGA), it seems impossible to find a good spot with no radio interference. AM and FM channels alike have been a real pain, and sometimes it is so bad, a good day can be ruined completely.

The 3PRKA is under $70 and has more function and range than anything even close. Completely problem free so far, i cannot say the same for other 2.4 systems that i have tried.

Basic functions but flawless control.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:26 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I've got 3 of the FS ground based radios, basically one of every model Hobbypartz carries (got mine prior to them carrying them though). I've had ONE minor issue with the GT3. The pin that hold the trigger in place broke on me after a year, but a few cents worth of parts, a drop of CA glue, and 10 minutes fixed it to better than new . The other 2 (GT2, and GT3b) no issues yet.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:33 PM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not my radio,,,, but I have been using a gt3b for 3/4 months on a tmaxx. For the price, I think is a GREAT!
plenty of range, a lot of features and looks very nice.

so far., about 515ft with no issues.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:29 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

I couldn't live that close to a golf course and not "accidentally" run my Revo into those bunkers. lol

I'm building a Revo now, and I'm planning to pick up the Flysky.  It's hard to argue with the $$.  I'll never race this build, so the extra money for a high end isn't a good choice.