Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

RC companies which are like car companies...

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC companies which are like car companies...

Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 AM
Foxy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RC companies which are like car companies...

Just an abstract post here, but I was thinking the other day after spending some time looking at the new Thunder Tiger monster truck (MT4 G3), which is, frankly, astonighingly good... that some RC companies are like some car companies.

Disclaimer: These are generalisations, I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings.

I likened Thunder Tiger in my mind to Nissan. Nissan is a company that generally makes very average cars aimed at those looking for cheap city runarounds, but every so often, they do something completely mad, and it works. Think Nissan Pulsar GTiR back in the day, then the Skyline series, then the 350Z, and more recently the evolution of the Skyline series, the GTR.

Then I thought about some other companies. HPI reminds me of Ford...mostly middle of the road stuff, except a few outstanding flagship models.

Traxxas reminds me of Chevy...powerful good looking models mostly, but nothing that could compete on a racetrack.

Xray are like Honda. Every car put together with incredible precision, every car feeling the racing heritage.

Mugen are like Porshe. Only the finest quality, single minded purpose with no passion. Function over anything else.

Any one have any other thoughts or want to change mine?
Old 10-24-2011, 03:23 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: RC companies which are like car companies...

I would actually liken HPI to Chevy, Associated to Ford, and Traxxas to Dodge. Respectively, it's because they're reliable, commonplace but not exceptional on the track, They have a few track monsters and the rest of their lineup is, much like HPI's, reliable stuff for the average joes, and Traxxas sells entirely on brand recognition because they can't design an engine or gearbox that can hold together. Some people get reliable ones, but many get units that shouldn't have passed quality control...

Honest to god I think both Traxxas and Mopar would crumble without their brand recognition.

Also, I'd say Tamiya is more like Honda than X-Ray. Honda doesn't really do much racing, there isn't a lot of heritage there and success has been hit-and-miss at best, but they do precision and quality like none other. This is Tamiya in a nutshell, they don't have a single competitive racer in their lineup and built some of the finest, best made kits out there. Kyosho is like Mazda, they're fairly well built and have a couple of raceworthy models but they're not quite as good as their fellow compatriots.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:10 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Losi to Ford
HPI to Chevy
Traxxas to Dodge 
Exceed RC to Smartcar.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:41 AM
Foxy

OK, I'm gonna go ahead and reclassify Xray as Ferrari, pure performance, with a racing soul.

By the way, it may not be evident from the last 10 years, but Honda is one of the most successful racing teams in history. Ayrton Senna was honda powered for most of his career.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would actually say Thunder Tiger is like Audi... seeing as how they own several brands, including Associated.

Mugen, X-Ray, Serpent... all those are kinda of like the racing sides of Honda, Nissan, and Porsche.

Traxxas would be a domestic, like Ford or Chevy.

Exceed, Redcat, etc. would be Geely, or any other Chinese crap car company.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:04 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was thinking RC companies like car companies in that:

sometimes release "new" models that are just an existing chassis with new body and a couple minor features(traxxas does this often)

make as much money off replacement parts as they do the actually vehicles

spend big $$ on advertising....well it looks like traxxas does anyway

bring back old ideas as new.....

Look at a tamiya ta-02 f150 trophy truck. 4wd SCT looks, way before any of the current SCT trucks we all race.

car companies bring back old designs all the time....subaru bought back the baja cruck, and the scion XB is hardly the 1st box shapped car.

Car companies and RC companies are both facing a fuel issue....lol. car companies look for more MPGs, and nitro sales hurt a bit from rising nitro fuel cost.

I have blue LED lights on my scion XB, and on my RC
Old 10-24-2011, 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

OK, I'm gonna go ahead and reclassify Xray as Ferrari, pure performance, with a racing soul.

By the way, it may not be evident from the last 10 years, but Honda is one of the most successful racing teams in history. Ayrton Senna was honda powered for most of his career.
Senna's engines are the only successful Honda racing venture I can name. Ford, Porsche, GM, Ferrari, Mazda, all successful in racing, using, respectively, GT40, 911, Corvette, everything they make, 787B and Miata. Honda? Two engines are all that comes to mind, I can't think of anything else. Might be because everything they make is front wheel drive, and the few RWD ventures they've made never hit racing circles all that well. NSX, wonderful car, don't remember it dicing it up with the Vipers and 911s for GT1/GT2 honors at Le Mans. S2000 never made sports car/touring car circuits either, despite again being a nice little car. And...oh god do I even have to mention their F1 team? That was a very Top Gear outfit down to the core.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Xray are like Honda. Every car put together with incredible precision, every car feeling the racing heritage.
Not sure if you've driven a US-market Honda...maybe the euro market Hondas are totally different...but if you drive any US market Honda, even the Civic Si and other sporty models knowing nothing else, you'd be shocked that Honda knew what racing was[&:]

ORIGINAL: 378

Senna's engines are the only successful Honda racing venture I can name. Ford, Porsche, GM, Ferrari, Mazda, all successful in racing, using, respectively, GT40, 911, Corvette, everything they make, 787B and Miata. Honda? Two engines are all that comes to mind, I can't think of anything else. Might be because everything they make is front wheel drive, and the few RWD ventures they've made never hit racing circles all that well. NSX, wonderful car, don't remember it dicing it up with the Vipers and 911s for GT1/GT2 honors at Le Mans. S2000 never made sports car/touring car circuits either, despite again being a nice little car. And...oh god do I even have to mention their F1 team? That was a very Top Gear outfit down to the core.
Suddenly Honda never made the RC30, RC45, and RC51...
Old 10-24-2011, 08:58 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The design of the older Lola cars was basically a created by Honda. They did race F1 cars back in the 60's. While they haven't been part of car racing too much, they dominate in MotoGP, same with motocross. Just recently Honda lost one of it's riders. They also make several engines, for different racing classes, including long-boats.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

The whatsits?

Say GT40 and people think "Fast ford, won Le Mans.". Say Ferrari and people instantly think "F1 champions, fast cars". Say Honda and people think "Boring but well made sedans and hatchbacks".

I'm a huge racing fan spanning many disciplines and I have no bloody idea what the RC30, RC45 and RC51 are. That alone should tell you how little success Honda has had in racing. They were god-tier with Senna's MP4/4 and MP4/5, but beyond that? Not so much.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

The whatsits?

Say GT40 and people think ''Fast ford, won Le Mans.''. Say Ferrari and people instantly think ''F1 champions, fast cars''. Say Honda and people think ''Boring but well made sedans and hatchbacks''.

I'm a huge racing fan spanning many disciplines and I have no bloody idea what the RC30, RC45 and RC51 are. That alone should tell you how little success Honda has had in racing. They were god-tier with Senna's MP4/4 and MP4/5, but beyond that? Not so much.
RC30

RC45

RC51

The RC51 is the least racy of the Honda racy-street bikes, but to say Honda can't build championship-winning racers is just ignorant.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:21 AM

Oh, I see, they're racing bikes.

Right. My point still stands. You don't have to be into F1 to know that Ferrari has consistently done well there. You don't have to be into Prototypes to know that Audi and Ford have won there. You don't have to be into rallying to know Mitsubishi and Subaru have been successful. But if you're not into motorbike racing you're not going to have a clue what those three bikes are.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so, what RC compares to a Volvo?

not the volvo's of today...they are just fords anyway.

but the 240's and 740's of the 80's and early 90's.

great to drive, comforable, love to drift, built like a tank and run for several 100K

i had a 92 740 turbo wagon for a bit. man, it was a blast to drive. underpowered and over-weight, sure but still very fun.

i cant really think of a RC that relates best to a Volvo.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:39 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Oh, I see, they're racing bikes.

Right. My point still stands. You don't have to be into F1 to know that Ferrari has consistently done well there. You don't have to be into Prototypes to know that Audi and Ford have won there. You don't have to be into rallying to know Mitsubishi and Subaru have been successful. But if you're not into motorbike racing you're not going to have a clue what those three bikes are.
Conversely, if you're not into cars you don't know the difference between an F1 car and an Indy car, you don't know WTH rallying is, nor do you know what "prototype" racing is, and all you know is Ferrari makes expensive cars, and Fords are for normal people, Mitsubishis are unreliable, and Subaru uses lesbian sports personalities in their advertising.

So what's your point?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:47 AM
suburban_hooligan

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Honest to god I think both Traxxas and Mopar would crumble without their brand recognition.

i had an epic laugh over that.
mopar or no car. have fun walking. i know a dodge mechanic. odly enough he drives a volkswagen and wont own a dodge lol

traxxas guy: "traxxas is #1"
me: at what?
traxxas guy: they are the fastest name in RC.
me: officially what records do they hold?
traxxas guy: *blank look on face*
me: have you ever owned anything other than traxxas:
traxxas guy: no
me: do you drive a dodge?

and there you have it

Old 10-24-2011, 09:55 AM
tommygun32

Hmmmm....where would you guys put LOSI then??
Old 10-24-2011, 10:03 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Hmmmm....where would you guys put LOSI then??
Under ownership and controls of the Losis, then Losi would be Mosler.

Under Horizon...one of GM's divisions.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 AM
suburban_hooligan

ill stick to cars iv owned or worked on.

team associated:ferrari. high end racing pedigree.deep running heritage. probably the most championships won by a singlemanufacture.

losi (TLR):lamborghini. ferrari's paste eating cousin. still a serious contender but missing a few marbles. doesn't sell as well and many fans are made up of guys who just don't like ferrari.

HPI: ford/chevy. it's the pickup truck that you beat up on weekends and drive to work Monday morning.pretty much works for whatever you want to do with it, but you'll haveto modify it to do the job well.

tamiya: honda. inexpensive.reliable. easy. taken care of it will last forever. lots of aftermarket support. a rich and diverse heritage.

traxxas: ill stick to 378's dodge comparison. it's the fat kidwith asthma. no real wow factor. not as good as the other domestic brands. and is only popular because of legions of blind followers.

duratrax: haundi. overlooked do to past and present flaws andquality concerns but secretly getting there ish together.

tower hobbies: daewoo. poorly built.disposable. falls apart on you onyour way home from the dealership.

and im still working on kyosho, ofna, serpent, mugen, andxray.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:32 AM
suburban_hooligan

double post my bad. hit quote rather than edit.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Tjettzky

Honda hasn't lost an Indy race in a very long time.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

suburban hooligan needs to learn what that big wide thing on the bottom of his keyboard is for.

And also doesn't realize that Ferrari is a racing company and Lamborghini is a sports car company...whereas Losi was always the more racing-oriented brand between AE and Losi.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:39 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

When i read you rfirst post I was going to say you need to change xray to ferrari.

As far as Honda goes. I know they have had some racing success but here in North America anyway when I think Honda I think of a Civic which is just a very reliable pop can on wheels! They don't sell anything exciting anymore. No more S2000, no NSX. the most exiting car they have now is the Civic SI which isn't saying much. Unless you get excited about hybrids then you have a the CRZ.

I'll add Ofna= Volkswagen... Both are affordable, durable,well built, fun to drive and have the feeling of quality on a budget
Old 10-24-2011, 11:11 AM
suburban_hooligan

suburban hooligan needs to learn what that big wide thing on the bottom of his keyboard is for.
suburban hooligan know's what that wide thing on the bottom of the keyboard is. but for some reason the damn thing hasn't been working rigth the past few days. i think i need to take the keyboard appart and clean it or something.

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunki
And also doesn't realize that Ferrari is a racing company and Lamborghini is a sports car company...whereas Losi was always the more racing-oriented brand between AE and Losi.
and yet AE has more wins stacked up and a larger number of diehard fans. i find that odd

Old 10-24-2011, 11:24 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

suburban hooligan know's what that wide thing on the bottom of the keyboard is. but for some reason the damn thing hasn't been working rigth the past few days. i think i need to take the keyboard appart and clean it or something.

and yet AE has more wins stacked up and a larger number of diehard fans. i find that odd

Considering AE's been in business about two decades longer than Losi, that's not a surprise they have more wins. Remember that Gil Losi Jr. did a lot of design work on the original RC10...so who's really won more?[&:]
Old 10-24-2011, 11:29 AM
suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

Considering AE's been in business about two decades longer than Losi, that's not a surprise they have more wins. Remember that Gil Losi Jr. did a lot of design work on the original RC10...so who's really won more?[&:]
touché worthyadversary

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.