Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Choosing an Exhaust System for Nitro Car

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Choosing an Exhaust System for Nitro Car

Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 PM
bhughes89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing an Exhaust System for Nitro Car

Iapologize if this has been asked before, but I have been having troubles finding anything on the interwebs that has explained this to me, so here Iam asking the RCUexperts.

How does one go about choosing an exhaust system for a nitro-powered vehicle?I feel like there are many variables that affect this decision, such as:engine size, exhaust location on engine (rear for most car engines), engine manufacturer, car scale, and probably most importantly the car layout, especially the available space for the manifold and muffler. From what I have seen, mufflers and manifolds both come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, so how do I choose the right one of each?

Let's say i have a nitro powered car and engine picked out. How would the RCUexperts proceed to choose a muffler and manifold?Is it possible to make all these choices online?(the nearest shop to me is more than a half hour away, and it is the only one within hours)

Please satisfy my curiosity, RCU!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 PM
nitroexpress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Choosing an Exhaust System for Nitro Car

Pick your engine and Google it, looking for exhaust pipe. You will seeforums that discuss recommendations.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:13 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your question it all depends on the car you have. When I put an OS .21TM in my Jato the manifold that came with the original 3.3 engine did not fit. Also the manifold that came with the OS engine did not fit either. After some searching I ended up getting a manifold to an HPI RS4 fit perfect and gave me the clearance I needed for the ez start. As far as the muffler goes look for the ones that 1) fit your engine and then read the specs on it. Again I chose the muffler based on the performance I was looking for. In the end I have a great performing engine that screams. Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:49 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The manifold should be the one that came with the vehicle. The car manufacturer designs a given car with a certain engine size and layout in mind and include a suitable header. As for the pipe itself, don't get a muffler unless noise is a concern, as it will just murder your power. Tuned pipes, however, are displacement and powerband specific. I run a smallblock, torque tuned pipe on my cars because I have a .18ci engine and I need torque down just off idle because of where I run it. But there's other applications, say 1/8 onroad, that would necessitate the exact opposite.

What you need to do is find out where in the powerband you want your power and buy a pipe suitable for your engine displacement and desired powerband. They should bolt right on, the pipes are all standardized sizes as far as mounting dimensions go, smallblock pipes fit cars designed for smallblocks and big-block ones for big block cars.