Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Any tips for first start up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:01 AM
92hatchattack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips for first start up?

Heys guys, Im back!

To all of you that said I couldnt sit on my mini MGT for monthsuntill my son opened it up on Christams morning I am here to prove you wrong!

Ok, so as I sit now I am about to tear into the box and start getting her ready for the first start up. So any last minute tips or advice on how to do the this right was would be apreciated. I would like this to last a long time so I want to make sure that I do everything right, so I dont have to listen to dumbass comments after it blows up on me. LOL

Anything that you guys can recomend would be great!

Thanks for your time!

-Joe
Old 12-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Ducat1

Default RE: Any tips for first start up?

how cold is it by you, if its below freezing id put a sock over the head to keep the heat in for break in. dont jerk on the throttle during breakin only smooth motions. watch the temps of the motor, make sure its rich and theres blue smoke comming from the exaust, use after run oil and have fun.. therees really nothing to them just read how to break them in.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:55 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are up in NJ, so it's fairly cool out. You need to keep the motor warm when you are breaking it in. If you find that you can't get it above about 180 degrees, wrap some aluminum foil around the head.

If the engine is hard to start, loosening the glow plug about a turn will alleviate some of that compression, allowing you to get it started. Once the engine starts, snug it back down.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 AM
92hatchattack

Sounds good so far.

Its about 45 degrees around here now. Ive been thinking about kinda just putting a box over it and cutting a hole in the tops of it to let fresh air in and allow me to check temps, and a small hole in the side for the exhaust... I figure it should'nt have much trouble warming up like this once the engine start toget warm.

Keep the advice coming!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Ducat1

you shouldnt have to wrap the head with anything, but make sure to keep an eye on the temp,

keep us posted
Old 12-27-2011, 10:16 AM
92hatchattack

What would be an ideal tep durring break in, and an absolute maximum temp?

Is it safe to assume that where the needles are set from the factory are ok for breaking in?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Ducat1

260-290 im pretty sure but i havent had a nitro car for like 6months, it should say in the manual tho, when do you plan on breaking it in? today? and btw pinch the fuel line to kill the motor at the end of the day so no fuels in the motor.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:41 AM
92hatchattack

Not sure if i will start it today. But if I dont Iw ill get it already to fire up tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:29 AM
92hatchattack

I am a bit suprised of the lack of info about the spare parts included and the wheel instalation. I mean, I'm not a moron but you would figure this would be in the manual.

From what i can see its simply Pin through the hole in the drive shaft, slottd nut on and fit into pin, wheel, washer, and nut.  Simply enough i guess.

But there are some spare parts that Im not sure what to do with. There is one bag with just two small washers in it. Any clue what these are?

I also have a bag witch parts that look like they are for adjusting the ride hight. There are the clips to adjust the hight and some other smal circle peices that I dont know what they are?  You guys know what these are?  I probably shouldnt be too concerned with them at this point Im sure, but i would like to know about those two small washers if anyone know.s
Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 AM
saucySavy

NOOO 260-290 is too hot.
As long as your getting it over or around 200 your fine. Im sure you will have to cover the head in foil to get to those temps. try not to get it over 240 ish, but im sure you wont have to worry about it getting that hot. The needles should be set from the factory, but I always double check just to be sure.

If you want you could post pictures of these parts.. im sure someone will figure them out.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:21 PM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: 92hatchattack

Sounds good so far.

Its about 45 degrees around here now. Ive been thinking about kinda just putting a box over it and cutting a hole in the tops of it to let fresh air in and allow me to check temps, and a small hole in the side for the exhaust... I figure it should'nt have much trouble warming up like this once the engine start toget warm.

Keep the advice coming!
Should be fine, just make sure it's not running too cool, you want the engine to warm up so the internal parts can expand. Let it cool off down to ambient after every tank. It's a good idea to pop the engine over to BDC (bottom dead center), so when the top of the sleeve contracts, it's not doing it around the piston.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:08 PM
92hatchattack

Ok,  I WENT FOR MY FIRST START UP ..  GOT IT FIRED ..  TOOK IT OUTSIDE AND IT INSTANTLY STARTER RAINING....   sorry for caps.   I took the glow starter off too early i think and she died. Since it was raining, and since i already started I ran her into the bathroom, got her started and hung her ass out the window.  Yeah, that didnt work, but rain was letting up.   Back out front over our little awning.  Started again ...  by the bottom 3rd of the tank I had it up to about 200, and for about 2 minutes before it was out of gas It got up to 220. I figure this is ok for a first tank. Pinched the fuel line and got her off and resting now.

Raining again. I think i will hold off on the second tank until tomorrow.

Did I mess anything up by having two shut downs within the first tank?

Is it ok to wait till tomorrow for another tank?

I have after run oil. Should i use it now and after every break in run?
Old 12-27-2011, 01:09 PM
92hatchattack

Oh, and I tried setting the flywheel to bdc as best i could.  Turned it till it got tight, passed that mark...  and turned a little more....  should be ok right?
Old 12-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Ducat1

dont use the after run oil, it should be fine til tommarow, thats not gonna hurt it if it shuts off a couple times during break in. just dont jam on the gas right away when you do your break in make sure your smooth on the throttle
Old 12-27-2011, 01:22 PM
92hatchattack

I gave it a couple blips on the throttle, but id say to only about 20%.  I surely did not WOT her at all.  When i did rev it up a little bit more to get the heat up I was sure to go smoothly.  

I hope I havent damamged anything.  Other than that once she was running she seemed to be pretty solid so far. At least at this point I am having no major issues.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Ducat1

you shouldnt have any problems with it, depending how hard you bash it, if you think break ins fun wait til you can mash on the throttle lol... its great

keep us posted
Old 12-27-2011, 04:08 PM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: 92hatchattack

Ok, I WENT FOR MY FIRST START UP .. GOT IT FIRED .. TOOK IT OUTSIDE AND IT INSTANTLY STARTER RAINING.... sorry for caps. I took the glow starter off too early i think and she died. Since it was raining, and since i already started I ran her into the bathroom, got her started and hung her ass out the window. Yeah, that didnt work, but rain was letting up. Back out front over our little awning. Started again ... by the bottom 3rd of the tank I had it up to about 200, and for about 2 minutes before it was out of gas It got up to 220. I figure this is ok for a first tank. Pinched the fuel line and got her off and resting now.

Raining again. I think i will hold off on the second tank until tomorrow.

Did I mess anything up by having two shut downs within the first tank?

Is it ok to wait till tomorrow for another tank?

I have after run oil. Should i use it now and after every break in run?
Pinching the line or letting the tank go completely empty is a big no-no during break in. When the engine runs out of fuel, it leans out completely, which is not good. You always stop an engine by either putting your finger over the exhaust, or stopping the flywheel with something soft (wood, eraser end of a pencil). If your fingers are clean, you can pull the filter off and put your finger over the carb.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Ducat1

yea, but that isnt gonna hurt it since you only did it once, so you shouldnt have anyhting to worry about, me personally i only do that if i know im not gonna use it for more than a week
Old 12-27-2011, 08:20 PM
92hatchattack

What the general rule about leaving fuel in the car? I notice that the fuel stays in the fuel line even after the car is off. Do i need to drain this some how or can I just leave it in there.  I also read that the gas tank should not be left with fuel in it.   Why is this?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Big Alice

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Just my opinion, but I'd be heating that motor up with a heat gun before I started it at least till it's broken in.  It's hard on a new motor to start it cold.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:13 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: Big Alice

Just my opinion, but I'd be heating that motor up with a heat gun before I started it at least till it's broken in. It's hard on a new motor to start it cold.
+1
I'll second that. That is how the cart racers do their motors, heat soak that head till the sleeve expands at the top.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:57 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Leaving fuel in the tank will not hurt anything. The only reason to not keep fuel in the tank for extended periods of time is because fuel wil absorb waterfrom the air after a period of time and this will lead to a loss of performance (if it is bad enough the engine may not run or start at all but it will take a long time to get to that point). but it won't hurt your engine. I have left fuel in a tank for well over a year before . All I did was empty out the old fuel and put new fuel in and it was good to go. But if the fuel has been in the tank for just a few days you shouldn't notice any lack of performance. Fuel will absorb water in the bottle as well as in the tank. I feel it is more important to keep the bottle out of the light and get as much air out of it a possible before sealing the bottle so the fuel stays "fresh".

For breakin you want to make sure you engine gets above 200 degrees and over 230 is even better. you don't have to worry about it untill you get over the 300 degree mark. and even then I have had engines that just liked to run hot.

The two biggest things you need to worry about for breakin is make sure to warm the engine before you try to start it, and make sure the piston is at BDC when the engine is not running( this is a good rule to live by even after breakin). When you try to start a new engine cold There will be alot of added strain on the conecting rod. when the engine is cold there is more mechanicle pinch at the top of the cylinder than when the engine is at it operating temp (220-290 degrees). As the engine warms the sleeve will expand allowing the piston to move more freely which in turn causes less stress on the conrod. As the engine cools the piston can manipulate the form of the sleeve if it is left near the top of the cylinder. this is why it is important to put the piston at BDC when it is cooling. I like to mark the flywheel to show where BDC is. yo can do this by removing the glow plug and watching the piston move down in the cylinder. or by removing the exhaust mainfold and watching the piston move down in the cylinder. once you have it at the bottom use a sharpie or some other permament marker to mark on the flywheel where BDC is so you don't have to guess. the closer to BDc the better.

Some people get paranoid about there engines. they really aren't hard to run and they aren't as delicate as some people would have yo believe. But breakin is important. the first 6-10 tanks of fuel will determine how the engine runs and how ling it will last. But letting an engine run too cool for breaking will cause as much damage to it as running too hot. So many people on here seem to think that the cooler the better and that just is not the case. the engine needs to get up to its operating temp or you will be breaking conrods left and right.

Hope some of this is usefull to you. Congrats on the new truck! Good luck with it and have fun!![8D]
Old 12-28-2011, 05:48 AM
92hatchattack

I guess i could try heating the head with a blowdryer before the next couple of starts if you guys think that will help.

Its gonna be 42 and windy here today.  Ill be wrapping the head in tin foil to keep it warm it looks like.

Here a question. After running a tank full yesterday, Is it safe to start driving it around at say a walking pace now, or should i run a few more tanks at idle still?

After how many tanks of gas do you start going WOT with it?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:01 AM
92hatchattack

ORIGINAL: yakfish

yo can do this by removing the glow plug and watching the piston move down in the cylinder. or by removing the exhaust mainfold and watching the piston move down in the cylinder. once you have it at the bottom use a sharpie or some other permament marker to mark on the flywheel where BDC is so you don't have to guess. the closer to BDc the better.
If its hard to see or really tell when the piston has hit the bottom another good way to tell is by insterting something like a tooth pick into the engine. Hold it up straight and turn the motor will you see the tooth pick bottom out and then start to go up and again... right before it starts to go up is BDC. (I found it a little hard to tell by looking in that tiny hole).

This is how we used to find a general BTC for individual cylninders when me and my buddies used to mess around with real cars. lol
Old 12-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Ducat1

you should be good to start the wallking pace, on my savage when i had it, i did 1 idle tank and like 3 circle tanks every tank i went more on the gas like 1/4 throttle the 1st tank, 1/2throttle on the second tank and 3/4 throttle on the 3rd tank and then it should be good to go,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.