Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

whats with the prices?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 06:34 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default whats with the prices?

seems i am seeing a ton of grossly over priced used rc's right now....both on RCU and ebay.

dont know how many used redcats on ebay i have seen....asking more than they cost NEW!

and whats with the $400 used 2wd slash's? and the $300 nitro rustler?

I just dont get how some people determine their prices. I can understand if people ask alittle above the real value, so there is room to deal....

anyway, just ranting.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:11 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: whats with the prices?

Market prices are generally dictated by demand... it's close to (just after) Christmas, people are willing to pay a bit more. There are also a bunch of new hobbyists, thinking their car is worth a bit more than it actually is. The demand for used cars is surly going up though, which is nice for the sellers... but not the buyers. I see used nitro Rustlers frequently going for $200+, you couldn't give those things away 5 years ago. Resale value is definitely increasing for the more desirable models (Traxxas, Losi, etc.).
Old 01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

seems i am seeing a ton of grossly over priced used rc's right now....both on RCU and ebay.

dont know how many used redcats on ebay i have seen....asking more than they cost NEW!

and whats with the $400 used 2wd slash's? and the $300 nitro rustler?

I just dont get how some people determine their prices. I can understand if people ask alittle above the real value, so there is room to deal....

anyway, just ranting.
yea how I got my wheely king last year I found a RTR NIB for $175 shipped no one bid on it except me. At the same time(actually ended a few hours later) there was a beat up abused one without electronics with $25 shipping that people were bidding on the end price was like $160.
I learned a lot of people on ebay are complete morons(sellers, and bidders), same on craigslist.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:18 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

it is nuts what some will pay.

my buddy sold a beat up 16.6v emaxx...with no ESC for $240 shipped. I have bought them RTR for less.

I sold a nitro rustler 2.5 for $250 shipped (it was super clean tho, like new with all accesories)

crawlers are hard to find at a good price. I havent seen a wheel king for under $200 in along time.

and axial owners seem to think that a few scale accesories make their used truck worth what it had cost new!

the ones selling used redcats at the same (if not more) than new is pretty silly. but the thing is, someone out there may buy them.

Slash 4x4's are another truck that has gone up. months back i bought a RTR slash 4x4 for $190 shipped. If you can find one for that price now its a steal.

I lost track of how many RTR rustler vxl's I have bought for $150 (or less) but now havent seen any under $175.

Doesnt really matter, tho....I dont have money i can (or should) be spending on new models

Im going to spend 80% of my tax returns to pay off credit card debt this year. the rest will buy heating oil.[:@]
Old 01-04-2012, 05:09 PM
OvalRacer99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know guys, it's all in the average persons mentality. Weather it's rc, full sized cars, furnature or anything of value,
It always seems to be a case of "mine is worth big $$$ and yours is junk"
There are always people who think their stuff becomes more valuable the older it gets, not much we can do about that.
When I put something up for sale, I have one basic philosophy, heres what I have, heres what it's worth to me, you have two choises, "take it or leave it"!!!

Old 01-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TAMIYA-Ni...ht_1393wt_1187

what makes this tt01 worth $480 when you can get new rtr's for $200?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:14 PM
jermpool

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

My guess is that custom clear body
Old 01-04-2012, 08:23 PM
The_Shark

i hope someone will want my digger
Old 01-04-2012, 08:37 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Probably the fact it's in Australia. Can you get a new TT01 in Aus for $200 or do you have to import it? I can go to my local Toyworld and get a savage HP for $1100 but that is the crazy Australian price. Everything in Australia is expensive.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

Probably the fact it's in Australia. Can you get a new TT01 in Aus for $200 or do you have to import it? I can go to my local Toyworld and get a savage HP for $1100 but that is the crazy Australian price. Everything in Australia is expensive.
the 3 lhs all sell tt01e's one has them for like $200rtr, the other $250rtr and the other is $230rtr. I seriously think that this guy whose selling the tt01e for $480 is just waiting for some noob to make the mistake of thinking its worth $480.

Anyway since we are talking about used rc car prices, can someone tell me how much I can sell a hsp xstr roller (1/10 buggy) missing a shocktower and gearcase for? I am hoping around $60 tbh. The new ones are $140 I am thinking of keeping the electronics except for the radio and reciever which I will sell seperately for $30 (the same cheapest flysky radio on ebay australia is $50 new)

Old 01-05-2012, 02:42 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

the 3 lhs all sell tt01e's one has them for like $200rtr, the other $250rtr and the other is $230rtr. I seriously think that this guy whose selling the tt01e for $480 is just waiting for some noob to make the mistake of thinking its worth $480.

Anyway since we are talking about used rc car prices, can someone tell me how much I can sell a hsp xstr roller (1/10 buggy) missing a shocktower and gearcase for? I am hoping around $60 tbh. The new ones are $140 I am thinking of keeping the electronics except for the radio and reciever which I will sell seperately for $30 (the same cheapest flysky radio on ebay australia is $50 new)

Yeah I don't know the value of a TT01 no matter where it is bought so it looks like that guy is trying to take advantage of some who does not know any better. R/C stuff in Aus is pretty expensive any way you look at it but since our dollar has been pretty much matching Americas in the last few years it's hard for me to justify buying locally.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:03 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Looks like he is just jacking the value, hoping a less than knowledgeable person bites. That body could also be pretty rare, I have seen some pretty high MSRPs on unique TT01s...
Old 01-05-2012, 08:40 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

to me, and used TT-01 isnt worth more than $100.
sure, its a nice little chassis, but nothing fancy.
I know that bodies can cost alot for rare ones, but even then....

Today a redcat backdraft 8e just arrived. I got it used.
It is a 1/8 4wd buggy...with 80amp 4s ESC and motor and a pair of 2s lipos.
The buggy is in great shape, runs good.
I paid $150 shipped for it!
The ESC/motor alone cost over $100 new.
The guy could have got alittle more for it IMO, but he was being reasonable. The buggy is $300ish new. His was used with no upgrades. So, he sold it for half.
And IMO that is a formula that applies to most models....used they are worth half what the cost new. this is the case cause its used, and you dont get any warrenty(as the original owner did)
sure, when there are spares, upgrades, extra batts the price can go up some...but not back upto what the model cost when it was new.

I understand that any are free to ask what they want, and that some newbs may buy it....but thats just taking advantage of people IMO.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:09 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. supply and demand. If you think the price is too high for something, don't buy it. The seller isn't forcing you to pay his high price. He's not taking money out of your pocket you are giving it to him.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:30 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that the cost are inflated because of the holidays. A couple years back I sold a pretty well modified AX10 about a week before x-mas. I started the auction at $350 and it sold for $520ish. In that time I got several people offering $$$ to end the auction early etc. I admit I just dumped a tamiya FF01 foe way than it was worth but someone bought it the day I posted it so.......
Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: john01374

I agree that the cost are inflated because of the holidays. A couple years back I sold a pretty well modified AX10 about a week before x-mas. I started the auction at $350 and it sold for $520ish. In that time I got several people offering $$$ to end the auction early etc. I admit I just dumped a tamiya FF01 foe way than it was worth but someone bought it the day I posted it so.......
If someone bought it you sold it for what it was worth. if it was more than it was worth you wouldn't have been able to sell it.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:18 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Market prices are generally dictated by demand... .
You nailed it! Welcome to economics 101. There's a market clearing price for everything. It dosent matter what you paid for it. It dosent matter what you think it's worth. Ones craps only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

rrragman

Old 01-05-2012, 12:48 PM
pede_187

I saw a used savage flux the other day that I couldn't believe. He did have some extra parts and 2 lipos, not any top brand ones either. And the guy started the bidding at $900 and wanted $50 shipping.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:14 PM
77rednecktruck

I bought a new Slash 4x4 for Christmas this year for $360.  Maybe I will put it up for sale starting at $500 and see if anyone bites.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:32 PM
tommygun32

Like in any situation, do your due diligance.

If you bite on an over-priced anything, good for the seller, bad for you. You will learn the lesson....hopefully. Imagine the rolls reversed.[&:]
Old 01-05-2012, 02:56 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Lol, I saw a plane for sale that the guy was selling for Something like $160 plus shipping, and Tower has the same plane for $69.. and the guy had the nerves to put "My Loss Your Gain!!" LOL!! I always check prices for something prior to placing a bid.. just to avoid those "Boy was I dumb" Ah ha moments..

Sorry, I know this isn't an Aircraft Forum, just had to comment, based on the relevance to the topic.

Craig.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: yakfish

ORIGINAL: john01374

If someone bought it you sold it for what it was worth. if it was more than it was worth you wouldn't have been able to sell it.
I guess when it comes to selling old models, it goes for how much the buyer is willing to pay for a vintage model

Old 01-05-2012, 04:57 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

It's really crazy with prices sometimes. Especially with resellers.

In the link below these folks were trying to sell an engine for $555 that is available from HobbyKing for $358. I sent them a question as to what else came with it for the extra $200 and gave them a link to the HK site...The listing was abrubtly cut short Crazier still is they pulled their photos from the HobbyKing site with the HobbyKing logo and web address all over them!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260877250948...84.m1423.l2649
Old 01-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Philly_RC_Guy

This is the second time I've seen this Savage posted. [link]http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-Savage-25-Radio-Controlled-Truck-lots-hopped-up-parts-27-extras-rc-/230727024574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b866ffbe[/link]
Old 01-05-2012, 08:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Philly_RC_Guy

This is the second time I've seen this Savage posted. [link]http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-Savage-25-Radio-Controlled-Truck-lots-hopped-up-parts-27-extras-rc-/230727024574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b866ffbe[/link]
So worth it man read for your self its "hooked up"

Love the people that fling $50 in integy bling on a RC and think its quintouples its value
In this ones case it should lower its value cause who ever buys it is gonna have to buy stock parts to get rid of all that integy crap (only integy upgrade worth the cost are rear carriers on the savage rest is wothless)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.