Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

help me choose a nitro for $400

Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help me choose a nitro for $400

Hello, looking to buy my first nitro in over 15 years. While I really like the looks of sc trucks I would consider anything if it fits my criteria. I am looking for a truck to basically just mess around with. I want it to be fast, durable, have descent parts support, and FUN. As of now I am all but set on a traxxas slayer pro, or the revo and finding a sc body that will fit on it, but the ofna buggies look pretty sweet to. With that said I'm really clusless as to what's out there and what's good so I'm open to any advice. Thamks in advance to any help!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 PM
lez1troubles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: help me choose a nitro for $400

KYOSHO MP7.5 (or NEO), parts suport is no problem (check out WWW.INFERNOSONLY.COM).
Old 01-17-2012, 01:56 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those Kyosho buggys are VERY nice. Also the Ofna buggys you mentioned will be much nicer than anything Traxxas has to offer IMO. Pretty much any of the major branded buggys will be great for what you want to do with it. I would definently go that route. I have even seen people put SC bodies on 1/8 buggys with some minor modifications and they look pretty good too! Good luck!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:52 AM
LaTuFu

Thunder Tiger ST-1.  Get a coupon from Tower, and it can be less than $400.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:18 AM
Ducat1

http://www.amazon.com/Savage-X-SS-4-6-Kit/dp/B000FS5UKM, youll probly never have a problem with it, savage xss 4.6, its a kit so you can put it together your self and learn everything about it, there not hard to pu together but rather fun. i have one and there almost indistructable and go around 45 2speed. probly one of the best monster trucks out there, great for the price
Old 01-17-2012, 07:48 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

The Losi 810 and Ten-T had serious price drops. $320 RTR with Spektrum.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: yakfish

Those Kyosho buggys are VERY nice. Also the Ofna buggys you mentioned will be much nicer than anything Traxxas has to offer IMO. Pretty much any of the major branded buggys will be great for what you want to do with it. I would definently go that route. I have even seen people put SC bodies on 1/8 buggys with some minor modifications and they look pretty good too! Good luck!
1/8th buggies, and 1/10th scale SCT's have pretty much the same exact wheelbase. One reason people turn 1/10th SCT's into 1/8th buggies with a few minor mods

Also love OFNA's. Specially the Jammins they are tough as hell
Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Haddi Taha

For $400 maximum, My pick would be the Thundertiger eb4 s3, $300 rtr and you have $100 for upgrades of your choice.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:55 PM
big JC

ORIGINAL: proanti1

The Losi 810 and Ten-T had serious price drops. $320 RTR with Spektrum.
Losi is one I considered as their performance/durabilty is legendary, but where I could I find a Ten-t for $320?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 PM
big JC

Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it. The  ofna is definitely high on my radar, not only because of the suggestions here, but in all my reading everybody has only had good things to say about it, but I would be concerned with the ground clearance as it would probably never see a track. Sooo, no love for traxxas eh? Aesthetically , and visually they look of good quality , and an inventive design to me, but I really know nothing about them. Can someone explain to me why the traxxas is a bad choice? It seems as though at least the slash has been a successful truck, no?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thing about the clearance 1/10th SC trucks, and 1/8th scale buggies have the same wheelbase, and a lot of people run 1/8th scale buggy rims on their SC trucks seeing their about the same size so the ground clearance is pretty much the same too

About traxxas. Their nitros are not so good from what I read. Electrics are mostly fine, but they like to throw their Traxxas 3.3 engine in things that should have a big block engine. Other issues are the EZ-start(or whatever traxxas calls it) is just another part to brake, adds extra weight, and complicates things. Personally I'm against rotostarts, and automated starters after I royally trashed an engine with one.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:55 PM
big JC

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
About traxxas. Their nitros are not so good from what I read. Electrics are mostly fine, but they like to throw their Traxxas 3.3 engine in things that should have a big block engine. Other issues are the EZ-start(or whatever traxxas calls it) is just another part to brake, adds extra weight, and complicates things. Personally I'm against rotostarts, and automated starters after I royally trashed an engine with one.
Gotcha, glad I didn't buy traxxas on an impulse as the hobby shops in Portland or almost 100% traxxas. After much more reading I thinks I will get either a rc8, kyosho inferno, or an ofna -jammin or hyper (not sure which ofna is better?) and make it truggy esque. I may also bumb my budget up to the $550 range. The mugen mbx6tlooks good to, but I would be concerned on parts support. Any thoughts on those choices?

EDIT: leaning toward the kyosho inferno neo st, looks like a solid truggy for $419 shipped
Old 01-18-2012, 06:45 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: big JC

Gotcha, glad I didn't buy traxxas on an impulse as the hobby shops in Portland or almost 100% traxxas. After much more reading I thinks I will get either a rc8, kyosho inferno, or an ofna -jammin or hyper (not sure which ofna is better?) and make it truggy esque. I may also bumb my budget up to the $550 range. The mugen mbx6t looks good to, but I would be concerned on parts support. Any thoughts on those choices?

EDIT: leaning toward the kyosho inferno neo st, looks like a solid truggy for $419 shipped

All of those are great options. If the MBX6T is as tough as my MBX5T then you won't have to worry about parts support as you won't be breaking many parts unless you just flat out can't drive!LOL! persomally I would like to try out the inferno neo. they are a great company and the Kyoshos I have owned have been awesome and I would think that one will be too.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 PM
taberj47

if u have a 500 dollar expense then go hpi savage X 4.6 this truck rips, super reliable, and there is a huge market for upgrades on this thing plus i just love the twin vertical plate design.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:35 AM
yakfish

Personally I won't bu another Monster truck. I have had all of the major models (Savages, T-maxx's, MGT's, LST's and Revos) and truggys are just so much better on every way. They handle better, they jump better, are much easier to work on and they can go anywhere an MT can go. I personally see no advantage whatsoever to getting an MT over a truggy. I personally never like the Savage chassis desing. I guess it looks cool and is differnt from the other but you have to tear half the truck apart to work on anything. I'm not bashing the savage at all, it is a vcery good truck as far as Mt's go. I just think truggys are better in every way.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:33 AM
steed2-inactive

truggy's are better in everyway except one............mt's are much cooler looking.!!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:41 AM
Ducat1

ORIGINAL: taberj47

if u have a 500 dollar expense then go hpi savage X 4.6 this truck rips, super reliable, and there is a huge market for upgrades on this thing plus i just love the twin vertical plate design.
1+

Old 01-19-2012, 02:18 PM
quietnas1

ORIGINAL: Ducat1

ORIGINAL: taberj47

1+

+2. Savage rocks and its not that hard to work on.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:24 PM
quietnas1

Oops sorry, double post.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The MBX6T is notorious for having fragile front A-arms that break a lot... Great truggy and all, with a good durable drivetrain, but by many many accounts, stock up on A-arms if you get one.....

Just saying, it's not perfect.. For bashing, I'd get the Associated RC8T CE over it.. (and for racing too..)

ORIGINAL: yakfish

ORIGINAL: big JC

Gotcha, glad I didn't buy traxxas on an impulse as the hobby shops in Portland or almost 100% traxxas. After much more reading I thinks I will get either a rc8, kyosho inferno, or an ofna -jammin or hyper (not sure which ofna is better?) and make it truggy esque. I may also bumb my budget up to the $550 range. The mugen mbx6t looks good to, but I would be concerned on parts support. Any thoughts on those choices?

All of those are great options. If the MBX6T is as tough as my MBX5T then you won't have to worry about parts support as you won't be breaking many parts unless you just flat out can't drive!LOL! persomally I would like to try out the inferno neo. they are a great company and the Kyoshos I have owned have been awesome and I would think that one will be too.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:39 AM
HerrSavage

Having just read the OP's post again, if you want an SC nitro, Associated SC8 all the way!! Very durable, great handling, and fast(get a 17T clutch-bell..)

It's a very high-quality RC based off their race buggy and truggy..

SC's suck for jumping though - just so you know...

If you want a truggy, more for messing around and not serious racing and a huge budget, take a look at the Losi 8T 2.0 RTR.. Great complete package to get started... AND, you have the option of running on some real race tracks if you ever want to...

For an all-out package, something like this:

1.) Mugen MBX6T or Associated RC8T CE (or Losi, or Hot Bodies D8T, or whatever floats your boat...)
2.) 2x Hitec 7955 servos
3.) OS 25XZ engine and matching pipe..(not sure there..)
4.) Starterbox, radio, tires, etc...

More of a race package though...

The Losi XXL is a great, very fast, and huge MT with top quality, good handling(for an MT), and great components right off the bat - Spektrum radio with telemetry, good reliable powerful engine, etc...

All a question of what floats your boat more and what you really intend to be doing with it - MT, truggy, buggy, SC8.... All good for different reasons.... But all good.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:40 PM
big JC

Hey!...A big thanks for all the input guys.! A forum like this is invaluable for a guy like me that will research all options so that I may buy with confidence. Not set on a SCnecessarily HerrSavage , leaning more truggy now and I could always get sc body for it (which I probably will)
MT- I think if or when I ever got a MT it probably would be a 5th scale=MT. The savage x 4.6 is legendary and who wouldn't want one, me thinks a truggy would handle better?
Losi 8T 2.0 RTR- This does indeed look like an awesome kit, but the cheapest I can I find it for is $800 which is more than I want to spend off the cuff....anybody seen it cheaper???

Associated RC8T CE- This to looks pretty sweet but it's $520 for a roller, it's alsodiscontinued (parts support), and is 2009 or am I missing something? Definately have not ruled out an RC8 or the buggy though.

Kyosh Inferno Neo ST- As of now this is on the top of my list. Looks to be a solid rtr for $419. Maybe on par with theAssociated RC8T CE?

Again thanks for the input, and please respond to my breakdown as it simply is my e-opinion. I have never even seen any of these trucks in person. Any other suggestions or links to cheaper options than I have found would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Josh

Old 01-20-2012, 10:05 PM
The_Shark

ofna makes a sweet rig that is the best value for what you get, everything is well desined, well made and affordible, thier 1/8 stuff is bulletproof, compaired to the losi 8, the difference is small for a $500 price jump, seriously. truth be told unless your a hardcore racer on a track there isnt much of any difference between those two cars.

just because something is much more expesnive doesnt make it much better.

i would pick ofna or kyosho for the 1/8 stuff, high value, high quality, they will serve you well, save that $500 for fuel, repairs or upgrades.

my "outdated" 9.5 proforms very well, and i swear to god its built like a friggin rock, i could run into a concrete wall with it and do more damage to the wall than the car.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:20 AM
HerrSavage

The RC8T is not discontinued. And you can't really put an SC body on a truggy. Completely different wheel and arm sizes - would look ridiculous.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:59 AM
big JC

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

The RC8T is not discontinued. And you can't really put an SC body on a truggy. Completely different wheel and arm sizes - would look ridiculous.
Oops yeah, I saw on their site that the rtr rc8t was discontinued and figured the kit was as well. Not familiar with whats out there but would have to imagine that there is some combination of tires and sc body that would at least somewhat work on a truggy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.