Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

On-road vs Off-road

Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On-road vs Off-road

Hey gang,

I'm curious as to what the difference between on-road and off-road cars are (specifically nitro). Said differently, I can see a lot advantages that off-road buggies/truggies provide, but what advantages do on-road/touring cars provide?Things that off-road rides don't offer.

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:59 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: On-road vs Off-road

on-roads usually can go faster, and remain more stable at higher speeds on flat paved ground, but can not go off-road (or usually suck at it) due to their low chassis, and can't take jumps well due to their shocks being generally having VERY short travel. Where offroad can go off-road as the name implies, take jumps, and drive on-road. At higher speeds most offroad vehicles tend to pull up (I'm talking 60+ MPH) depending on how their setup.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 PM
DaveG55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had typed a long reply that the error gods ate.
But I agree with what SyCo said above.

There really aren't any advantages, as such, between the two as they are designed to operate in different environments. You would not buy a lifted 4 wheel-drive vehicle to race in a road race any more than you'ld take a race set-up Porsch to a hill climb. There's really no comparrison so there aren't really any advantages between the two.
Decide what you want the vehicle to do / what you want to do with the vehicle and pick on-road or off-road based on that. Then decide the advantages of the different vehicles in that catagory for your needs.

As far as the power source, whether it's nitro or electric on the advantages of either on or off road. They all set up, suspension and chassis wise, in a reasonably similar manner. For example, setting up the shocks on a given vehicle does not change all that much, if at all, whether it's nitro or electric
Old 02-02-2012, 09:28 PM
The_Shark

offroad can go pretty much anywhere, great if you have a bunch of areas with parks, trails or something in that effect. In nitro form they are too fast for their own good, care must be taken at high speeds because flipping over especially on the street is easy to do. brushless and nitro are simillar in power, no notible handling differences.

onroad is for well paved streets, cement tracks or carpet tracks. Very stable at high speed, very predictible braking and good fuel economy. they are NOT for anything off road (those rally cars are for tiny little bumps and packed clay) in my opinion nitro cars are much better for streets and cement, the extra weight of the chassis offsets the dust on the ground.

a well built on-road is more durable than a offroad, why? at the same speed on the same object the car is tougher because of its smaller arms-less leverage they also have large soft foam bumpers, however cars can go faster than off roads so you can inflict more damage than a truck this way. in the same respect you can jump trucks, and lots of damage can come from a bad landing.

really its a wash...
Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only way onroad makes sense IMO is if you have a track. Pebbly parking lots are really just lame after aout 30 seconds.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:54 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main appeal, to me anyway, of onroads are that they look like something you can actually buy. They can be run off-road as well, but don't expect miracles, the highest you'll get them is about an inch of ground clearance. Good enough for bashing around in the snow and on ball diamonds/hiking trails, but you aren't going to be clearing any triples with it.
ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

The only way onroad makes sense IMO is if you have a track. Pebbly parking lots are really just lame after aout 30 seconds.

El-wrong. A lifted, shaft-drive touring car, such as an NTC3, is balls fun on rough driveways, gravel, mud, snow, loose dirt, and even grass up to an inch and a half or so if you've got a .18 of some sort. I know this first-hand.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:56 PM
The_Shark

drift cars are extra fun if you dont have the room for a lightning fast car.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:18 AM

You don't need a drift car though. Any touring car can drift, all you need is steering lock and some electrical tape.

Or for that matter just wet the pavement. When I drive mine in the rain all it wants to do is slip and slide around.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:32 PM
JohnP2

Many thanks for your replies. Because I live in an urban environment (ie lots of huge/empty parking lots) I am desiring a car that has intense accelaration/handling, with good top-speed. This would be somewhat of a 'shelf-queen' in that I'd only run her on smooth surfaces and simply enjoy the precision of the car and keep it extremely cleani.e. no bashing whatsoever.

I've narrowed my choices to the following. And yes, the ability to 'drift' is a huge plus. If it can drift right out of the box, all the better. If not, I have no problem investing in mods to get it to where it works.

Traxxas Nitro 4 Tec 3.3
HPI RS4

If there are any other on-road/touring cars that I can get for < $400.00 I'm happy to hear about them.

Of course, if there is no appreciable difference in the on-road cars, then I'll use the money on an HPI Trophy or something.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 PM

Get the RS4. Belt drive is nice on a track, hell anywhere else. The RS4 3 Evo is a good car, and because it's shaft drive it won't care about pebbles and off-pavement excursions.

Oh, and I kind of have to plug the Associated NTC3+. I own one, I have it rally modded, I absolutely love the thing. I run it in snow, mud, gravel, relatively smooth dirt, pretty much anywhere it won't high center. Incredibly tough car, well priced, well supported, easy as hell to work on, and if you want to race it(And can find a glow TC class) you can toss a hot .12 and some slicks on and hit the track.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:27 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

I have to agree with either the RS4 or the NTC3. Both are well built and great to drive. I have owned a coule of both models, both are reasonably quick out of the box and handle equally well. I really can't see much of an advantage of one over the other.

You should take a look at some of the 1/8 scale GT cars too. Like the Ofna DM-1, Ofna GTP or the Kyosho Inferno GT (GT2). They are very fun to bash aroung a parking lot. My Inferno GT is an awesome drifter once the stock tires got worn down a bit. they drift much easier than a 1/10 scale due to the longer wheelbase.

Check out youtube for vids of them all in action!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:00 PM
The_Shark

NEVER get the 4-tec. overpriced- underwealming.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

You could probably substitue 4-tec with traxxas in general. LOL!

BTW: if your not overwhelmed and your not underwhelmed are you just whelmed?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:03 AM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: yakfish

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

You could probably substitue 4-tec with traxxas in general. LOL!

BTW: if your not overwhelmed and your not underwhelmed are you just whelmed?
its funny, they put in a over sized motor and high gearing in thier rigs and ask 2-3 times MORE of what its worth (cuz it go fast) i own a 1999 t-maxx, love the thing to death but would never think about paying what they charge today for one, just remember all the money spent on those ads and thier race team are passed to the consumer.

Old 09-14-2021, 04:01 AM
jellybenson

Not so much difference like that. I think on road cars are faster and more stable on road because of the way most of them are flat. Then I think on-road car tools are more easily available unlike off-road vehicles that require specially fabricated tools.