Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new RC car on a budget.

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Looking for a new RC car on a budget.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:03 PM
kbailey45
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a new RC car on a budget.

I am an experienced RC guy, but I fly planes. I had a nitro powered car when I was a kid and loved it. I think it was a Kyosho ST-2 with a .12 engine. I see the trucks have came a long way. I would like to get a truggy or truck mainly but I dont really want a monster truck. I don't need 70mph but I also dont want 25mph. After looking around I really like the Slash or Slayer which ever one is nitro and most of all the Jato. I am also open to electric as well, but prefer nitro. My question is what is a good RC car that is fairly low priced to get and make sure I am still interested. Im afraid if I buy something slow and sluggish I will lose interest but I dont know if I want to drop 400-500 dollars just to see if I like it. My main thing is good power and available parts. I have looked at some of the Exceed stuff but I have flown their helis and i must say I am not impressed. I know this is a get what you pay for hobby but sometimes there are some deals. So recommend anything off road nitro or electric. I just dont want to have to upgrade the heck out of something to make it decent. Im not looking to race or anything just have fun at an accelarated pace lol. I like the 250 dollar range if possible but recommend anything you want I may go all out if needed. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking for a new RC car on a budget.

HPI makes a nice trophy truck for a good price, you CAN do a brushless setup for maybe $80 if you used hobby partz or hobby king setups (work great)

you could go with a lightly used ofna 1/8 nitro buggy or truggy. just be careful who you buy from.
you could get a used nitro RC10gt (or what ever they have out now) its a solid truck.
Duratrax made a new brushless evader, from what ive heard not quite as durable as a jato, but less expensive.

sorry to say, but alot of people are going brushless, good for them, but i still like nitro alot, i own both and nitro just adds something to the fun.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:16 AM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you dont mind a 2wd id say look at the hpi firestorm comes as nitro or elec.  little over your 250 mark but if you join the tower hobbies super saver club i think they have a 50 dollars off 300 code. it brings both cars close to your budget ive beat the hell out of mine and shes going strong almost five gallons later
Old 02-05-2012, 02:47 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Losi Ten-T!!..

Or, reconsider the MT thing. An RTR Savage can be a lot of fun - on lots of different terrains..

Tons of available hopups(not necessary, as with Traxxas, but they are there..), tons of body and wheel options, etc.. Stock engine is fast and user friendly. Parts everywhere and cheap and easy to get quickly..

In all these threads, THE most important question for YOU to answer before deciding is, where will I be running, and what do I want to do with it? Jumping, climbing, crawling, , racing, wheelying, parking lots, construction sites, yard, whatever... You really have to give this some thought. I've spent umpteen thousand Euros on all my offroaders, but I probably should have just started with and stayed with onroad. Flat as a pancake here, and two onroad tracks in town..

That said, it is nice to have an MT that can run anywhere...
Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 AM
quietnas1

The Jato is a great choice. The only hop ups I would recommend are RPM arms. The HPI Firestorm is also a great choice. Both trucks can be modified like crazy but don't really need to be.

I would also reconsider the monster truck thing. My Savage X 4.6 is a blast, really needs nothing (mines is completely stock), and his about 45mph with no problem. The Savage can also take one hell of a beating.

Also look at the AE RC10GT2. A little lower on the price scale, has great parts availability, and is also a blast.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:56 AM
The_Shark

i have oodles of fun with my classic t-maxx, pretty durable with RPM arms and the stock tires last decades (the truck is 1999) with a good picco .15 with 1.5hp , its able to keep up with the big blocks because of its lighter parts. dont get a new t-maxx or anything but a classic.
what a pain when you need to replace bulkheads on these though[:@]

i would steer clear of most all traxxas products- they arent that bad but value per dollar is the WORST in the game, plus most everything has to be upgraded to some point to make it compairible to the cars that a hundreds of dollars less (makes sense right?)
Old 02-05-2012, 08:57 AM
thehuntingterminator

my local HobbyTown has a Hyper 7 for $299. from what i've heard, great car. your LHS might have one too. but i gotta recommend the Rustler VXL to you. its about $330, but fully RTR and can go anywhere from 25-70mph plus! so whatever speed your wanting, it can be a great car. i have one and run 3s and its insane but a whole lot of fun! come join the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1966715/anchors_10944687/mpage_425/key_/anchor/tm.htm#10944687]Rustler thread[/link] and see if you like it.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:29 PM
kbailey45

I have been looking around for some stuff and was looking at the Exceed Forza and the Hyper speed. I read the Forza rips up gears with the two speed tranmission. That isn't that big of a deal if I can get parts. These buggies are so cheap its hard not to bite just to see if Im still interested in cars. On the speed thing I would like at least 40mph or close. I am a little skeptical about buying a used nitro vehicle. I have servos and things that i can put in these cars to make them better but like I said PARTS ARE THE MAIN CONCERN. All I am going to do is bash this thing around the yard and up and down the road. Has anyone had any experience with these buggies. Also I know some of the "generic" cars are compatible with parts from name brand. Are these vehicle compatible with any name brand parts?
Old 02-05-2012, 05:50 PM
echthelion

if parts are your main concern id say look at the HPI Savage X it more then you wanted to spend BUT i dont think theres 1 part on that car that atleast 2 or 3+ other companies make and the stock parts are EVERYwhere
Old 02-05-2012, 05:57 PM
kbailey45

Thanks for the advice but I really dont want to drop $400 right now. I f I go that route I would go with a Jato. I may try the forza or hyper speed from exceed but would like some first hand experience afvice thanks.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:08 PM
echthelion

theres a exceed section here on rcu you might find someone in there that has some experience with them
Old 02-06-2012, 11:07 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Seriously, just do yourself a favor and stay away from the exceed. I think some of their stuff might be OK, but for what you are paying, you really should go ahead and get something like one of these:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRUS1&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBCVP&P=ML

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...o-24GHz-Yellow

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-4WD-RTR-Buggy

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-4WD-RTR-Buggy

You can also get $25 off and free shipping at tower hobbies right now and i think A-Main has discounts as well, so that brings you down some. All of these are awesome buggies and will handle whatever you can throw at them, and parts are easy to find.

I have a Jato and it is an awesome truck if you like speed. I have never owned an r/c that could hold a candle to this thing. However, a buggy will take much more beating than the jato, its built much heavier, and it will jump and handle offroad terrain better.

Also, with the name brand buggies like shown above, resale value isnt too bad. I have never seen a used exceed bring very much. People just dont want them as badly as they would something like an ofna/kyosho/losi/etc.. buggy. If you decide it isnt for you, then the buggies listed above will sell much faster and bring more money.

With all that said, an exceed buggy may suit you fine, but I just feel that you are getting a more quality built vehicle with good parts availability in the name brand models.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:14 PM
kbailey45

Ok after all the advice I have decided to stay away from Exceed since I am usually the type of person that won't buy off brand. I have came down to the Jato, a 1/8 scale 4wd buggy or any stadium truck that will run at least 50-55 mph. I am really leaning toward the jato but here they are fragile and handle like crap off road. I would like to order from tower just because I can get 50 off anything over 300 and free shipping but am open to anything. So keep the suggestions coming. But I would like to steer clear of the monster trucks. I may even think about a short course truck if its fast. I would want to go nitro as well. Thanks
Old 02-06-2012, 05:27 PM
cummins driver

The Jato is a great truck. If that is really what you want then I think you would enjoy it. The previous owner of my Jato 3.3 put RPM arms and bumper on it and it has seen multiple 40mph wrecks and comes out without any broken pieces each time.

The Jato is bad off road... with the stock tires. Put some good tires on it though and they are great off road. Here is mine on a hill at the local rock quarry with proline dirt works tires on it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW-bTR9xxEw[/youtube]

You can see it has no problem climbing the hill and when you want to hit the road, its one of the fastest ones you will find. An 1/8 scale buggy WILL be stronger and more versatile, and better off road, but they wont be as fast on the top end. The jato or a buggy either one will be good, just have to pick which one you want.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 PM
JohnP2

The Exceed Forza was our first car. Much like everyone else, the price is what lured me. i.e. Why spend $400 if your unsure how much enjoyment you will get out of 'the hobby'?

To that end....it's a good car for those wanting to LEARN about nitro rc cars. The car can move and is quite agile (I ran it with a friend's Rustler the other day and it held its own). Of course, as others have mentioned....it's not extremely durable, and if things DO go wrong, obtaining parts will be difficult, and obtaining parts for the VX.18 will be extremely difficult if not impossible. However, as with anything, with maintenance it can be a 'decent' car for the price.

The problem is most folks who purchase it are new to 'the hobby' and end up effing something up (see here). At the point you are faced with two choices: 1) roll your sleeves up and begin learning how to maintain a nitro rc car, or 2) cut your $150.00 loss and move on.

Either way you will be doing #1 regardless of your vehicle's cost if you continue to enjoy nitro rc cars-and I for one am hooked line and sinker! I've done so much to our Forza it's not even funny, and each day I continue to learn things. I guess subconciously I'm apt to completely tear down a $150.00 car and not worry about making mistakes, as that is what I'm using the car for (simply as a learning tool). Even now I'm going to change the spur gear on it, and have little-to-no-idea how to do it, but I will learn.

With all this said, I can still recommend the Forza to any newbie, as long as they know they will need to perform quite a bit of maintenance on it and search high and low for specific parts. But when you get it going...it's actually a decent ride.

I have an OFNA Hyper 7 (I paid $279 for it) on the way this week....and I am going to order an HPI Trophy 3.5 (I think) this week. If there are things I'm tentative about modifying on these two, I'llexperiment/learn on the Forzafirst...thatis the biggest value I'm obtaining from it.

Of course, if you are already astute with maintaining nitro rc cars, ignore everything I just said. ;-)
Old 02-06-2012, 07:46 PM
cummins driver

^^ Very good, non biased post [8D]

P.S. - You will love the Hyper 7
Old 02-06-2012, 08:42 PM
kbailey45

I think I am going to have to decide between the Jato and the Hyper 7. I am leaning toward the Jato because it is a stadium truck and it is fast. Buying tires and what not isnt a big deal to make it perform the way I would like. I just have to reduce some rc inventory to pay for the initial purchase. I am an all out 3D plane guy and want a car to raise a little heck with around the house so why not go with something fast. Maintaining a rc vehicle isnt that big of a deal to me since I maintained multiple helis for a while. A heli takes constant maintenance. Tuning glow motors are second nature to me. I have a RC guys Decathlon I am trying to sell if it sells quick I may buy the Jato. One more question. Is there a 1/8 scale buggy under $400 that can keep up with the Jato, say about 55-60 mph. I guess its time to look at my inventory and start selling some stuff off. I haven't spent much on the RC hobby in a few years since I went to giant scale planes so Im due a new toy. One main thing about the Jato is I live about 1 hour from two hobbytowns that I can always get Traxxas parts at. The HPI, Ofna parts would be a toss up on whether or not they would have them. If Tower would get a Jato on their scratch and dent I would be good to go lol.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 PM
kbailey45

What the heck throw the Slayer 4x4 nitro in the mix as well.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:56 PM
The_Shark

honestly i would go with a hyper, handles and jumps WAY better, and it will blast off the line faster than a jato and top out at a good 40-60mph depending on gearing.

the stock jato engine doesnt like to be at WOT for long.

dont get wrapped up in top speed, the buggy is faster than a jato off the line, 1/8 scales really move out and have amazing power.
i have more fun with my 38mph t-maxx than i do with my 80+ mph formula car.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 PM
cummins driver

Honestly, an 1/8th scale buggy with any standard RTR style big block engine is going to be pretty limited to around 45mph IMO.

Also, I have owned 3 buggies (just bought another), and Im 99% sure my jato would rape any of them from a standing start, roll, or any kind of race really. The buggies will jump a lot better and take much more abuse though. A buggy MIGHT get the jato off the line for about 10 feet because of the center differential, but after that, its over. Who races for 10 feet? The way the Jato is setup with the 2 speed and the high revving small block in a light weight platform just lends itself to being really fast. Its probably the only r/c i have owned that has NEVER felt underpowered in any situation.

And for some reason a lot of people dont like traxxas engines, but my all 4 of them I have had (a 3.3, two 2.5's, and a Pro .15) have all run and tuned great. Really good engines IMO that make a lot of power for their size.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:58 PM
kbailey45

OK the heck with the cheap stuff. I have narrowed it down to four vehicles. The Jato, Slayer Pro 4x4 nitro, and the Hyper 7. I would love the speed of the Jato and I like stadium trucks, the Slayer looks awesome, big and should be a blast but how fast is it ? I would like the handling of a 4wd buggy. I would consider the hyper 8.5X but its not in stock at Tower and I have coupons. I will be ripping up and down the road and raising heck in the yard. Let me know of any hop ups to go ahead and grab if needed like the RPM arms for the Jato. There is a track around here but about an hour away so I would probably never go. I like speed but also handling. Mainteneance isnt a big deal to me. I really like 2 speed tranmissions for the sound of changing gears but it isnt a necessity. Basically i want a car to show off with and jump a little. I know I have been very difficult to help out but out of the four what do you think. Feel free to throw in something else but no MT's. Throw out some pros and cons if you want. I would like to order tomorrow so please help lol. Ive got $500 to spend but need a new glow starter and a few spare parts so thats my budget. Thanks
Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 PM
JohnP2

I like your style. Have you considered HPI Trophy (3.5 or 4.6)? I hate to throw in another prospect...and personally cannot speak to those models, but they've sparked my interest in  my latest searches...which is similar to what you are looking for.

With that...I'm going to "predict" you'll end up with the Hyper 8.5. Again, no experience with that one either, but my guy at our LHS told me that is becoming one of his favorites.

Let us know and send pics of whatever you decide!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:18 PM
kbailey45

The only thing is that the hyper 8.5 is out of stack at Tower and i am ordering there for the discount. I am impatient and want to order tomorrow lol. The slayer does have a 2 speed tranmission right? The only thing about the Slayer I dont care for is the suspension
Old 02-07-2012, 09:13 PM
cummins driver

The slayer should go 50 or so I think. Its a revo with short arms and smaller tires. The main thing I dont like about the slayer is that they seem pretty unstable. Turns at speed make the slayer roll very easily.

I have owned both 1/8 buggies, and the jato. Id have a hard time telling you what i think is best. If you are going to be on the road a lot, then the jato is probably going to keep your interest better. If you will be in the yard very much, the buggy will be nicer, and for Jumps, the buggy will jump better and be more forgiving(tougher) hands down. The buggy will be much better on a track, but if you arent at the track, it wont matter.

I "think" I would go with the buggy. You could always get the hyper 7 and if you want more speed, go with the 2 speed kit:

http://www.nitrohouse.com/p9834/OFNA...duct_info.html

Then you have something about as fast as the jato and tougher and the price would wind up about the same.

Honestly, you are just going to have to decide for yourself. We can tell you the pro's and cons but you need to get the one that will make you happy at the end of the day.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:14 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Honestly, an 1/8th scale buggy with any standard RTR style big block engine is going to be pretty limited to around 45mph IMO.

Also, I have owned 3 buggies (just bought another), and Im 99% sure my jato would rape any of them from a standing start, roll, or any kind of race really. The buggies will jump a lot better and take much more abuse though. A buggy MIGHT get the jato off the line for about 10 feet because of the center differential, but after that, its over. Who races for 10 feet? The way the Jato is setup with the 2 speed and the high revving small block in a light weight platform just lends itself to being really fast. Its probably the only r/c i have owned that has NEVER felt underpowered in any situation.

And for some reason a lot of people dont like traxxas engines, but my all 4 of them I have had (a 3.3, two 2.5's, and a Pro .15) have all run and tuned great. Really good engines IMO that make a lot of power for their size.
although not a stock engine my ofna 9.5 with the Jammin JPX .21 will eat a jato alive and will top out past 50mph, the car is scary scary fast even more so with the torsen diff, it revvs like the engine isnt attached to something, im starting to think the previous owner modded it. ive had fast cars, but thing is outright over-powered and will accelerate faster than a 1/18 with a 1hp brushless motor and traction compound treated tires.

but again, its not just about speed, at even 50mph the car is out of sight within a few seconds, and things get a little un-nerving at those speeds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.