Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What is the definition of a roller?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the definition of a roller?

I have wondered for a while why do RC sellers say the term "Roller or Race Roller" in the description when there's no rims and tires included. I would think if its a Roller that it would need those items to........... Roll[&:] Maybe Im looking too deep into that term, what do you guys think?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:37 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is the definition of a roller?

.... i would consider any complete chassis a roller, if you REALLY think about it, tires are equipment just like servo's, radio gear. motor and batteries, someone may need foam tires, rubber tires, slick tires, hard, soft, medium, so what may be included wouldnt even be used (like the tires i got in my f1 kit- useless)
Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it doen't have tire it can't roll. Can't have a roller without tires/wheels
Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Shabbernigdo

IMO a roller is a vehicle with everyting nessary to run it minus the electronics. motor / esc / reciver / transmitter / battery for nitro just replace motor with engine.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:53 AM
The Collector1

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

.... i would consider any complete chassis a roller, if you REALLY think about it, tires are equipment just like servo's, radio gear. motor and batteries, someone may need foam tires, rubber tires, slick tires, hard, soft, medium, so what may be included wouldnt even be used (like the tires i got in my f1 kit- useless)

Tires maybe part of the equipment but if you look up the definition it say "one that performs a rolling operation or activity". How can it be a roller if it cant roll?

Why not just call it a complete chassis set or something like that?

While the uselessness some tires are true like on my XTM, to me it was considered a roller as I checked for binding when I took it out of the box, my Blitz on the other hand I had to mount some spares from a Slash so I could check.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Shabbernigdo

IMO a roller is a vehicle with everyting nessary to run it minus the electronics. motor / esc / reciver / transmitter / battery
That would be my definition as well. It also seems to be very close to what manufacturers sell when you buy a new roller or kit.
However, it is always a good idea to be sure that the definition you use matches the definition that the seller is operating under. I have seen "rollers" advertised that are not much more than just a chassis up to including everything exceptt he electronics or motor.

ORIGINAL: Shabbernigdo
for nitro just replace motor with engine.
That part is mearly semantics. If you look up motor and engine in Mirriams you will find very little difference in the definitions. Both are devices that convert energy into movement. I will grant that a sub-definition of engine says that it is usually used when a device uses fuel as the energy source. But no matter, I refuse to call my Harley an "enginecycle"... It's a motorcycle all day long!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 AM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chassis without motor/esc or engine. Rollers can have a servo or two. Wheels and body are optional.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

A roller has to have wheels and tires. Or it should state roller, minus wheels and tires.

I bought a revo roller with wheels in the pictures and no indication they werent included. I got the truck and was surprised when it didnt have wheels. I made the point of how could it roll with no wheels. He had no argument against that...

A roller without wheels is a skidder. Regardless of wether most people would use the wheels or not, a set of wheels are a $30-100 item and can make a big difference to someone that doesent have an extra set laying around...
Old 03-05-2012, 01:14 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: The Collector1

I have wondered for a while why do RC sellers say the term "Roller or Race Roller" in the description when there's no rims and tires included. I would think if its a Roller that it would need those items to........... Roll[&:] Maybe Im looking too deep into that term, what do you guys think?
A "roller" is the same as a kit which may or may not include tires/rims. It doesn't mean that it is ready to roll. Right or wrong, that is the convention.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:27 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

That is simply your opinion.

There is nothing about the word roller that could describe an r/c vehicle if it doesent have wheels. It needs wheels to be a roller.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO should have wheels, no electronics, and body optional.
If it doesn't have wheels IMO its a chassis or a chassis kit.
One of the best rollers I bought was a Savage .21 that was only missing the radio system.
Then I got a "roller"(my jammin X1 CRT) the owner didn't even include the damn 17mm hex nuts on the damn thing to put wheels on it(glad I ordered a few sets by accident dirt cheap a year or so prior).
When I bought my merv it was labeled as a chassis seeing it had no wheels, electronics, or body.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:34 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

That is simply your opinion.

There is nothing about the word roller that could describe an r/c vehicle if it doesent have wheels. It needs wheels to be a roller.
How about wheels with no tires? Would that satisfy you?
Old 03-05-2012, 03:40 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

You guys must be really bored. What good is a roller when it does not roll?
No matter what the definition is - if you you sell such a model, you should describe what is missing.
And if you are buying - ask what is missing.
I bought such a truck and I did the mistake of not asking enough questions, so I had to buy lots of parts to get it to run
Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 PM
The Collector1

Not bored I just wanted to get peoples input on what a Roller meant to them, and besides wouldn't it be ok to see a different topic every now and then?
Old 03-05-2012, 06:56 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree a 'roller' should roll, but when buying used you have to ask everything, look at all the pics closely. Its buyer beware and cya
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 PM
The_Shark

in my opinion as stated above, is a complete chassis minus the tires because one may need a certain tire, just like one would want a certain servo and ect.

but now thinking about it, a real roller should have rims with it minus the tires.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:42 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

By the trend of this thread, we can see that everyones definition of a roller is different.

I could say that I agree that a roller must have wheels to roll, but some will dissagree with that statement.

In my own opinion. I dont pay much importance to the defenition if an RC is a roller or not. When I look for stuff to buy, I make sure that the add or listing inidcates what is included or not. I dont assume that if its defined as a roller, then it will include wheels. I just ask what is included. When I put an add to sell, I define my rollers when they have wheels, if they dont, I would list which parts are included, and offcouse photos could explain a lot.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No powerplant or electronics, pre-assembled. That's the definition of a roller/race roller. Whether or not it includes wheels or tires or body is irrelevant.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Karontu

imho a RACE roller is one that doesn't come with wheels and tires as those are normally a selection you need to make based on your track. where as a plain roller should come with at least front and rear wheels and tires. but i always put a thorough description with mine that explain exactly what does and doesn't come with it.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:03 PM
The Collector1

So how can it be called a roller if it cant roll? It should be called a chassis set.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:07 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

ORIGINAL: The Collector1

So how can it be called a roller if it cant roll? It should be called a chassis set.
Makes sense to me!

Common Defenition: by Wikipedia, Dictionary, Miriam Webster etc.

roll·er/ˈrÅlÉ™r/Noun:

1. A cylinder that rotates around a central axis and is used in various machines and devices to move, flatten, or spread something.

2. Roller (machine part), a cylindrical machine component or a component of a roller bearing.

3. One that rolls or performs a rolling operation or activity.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: Foxy

No powerplant or electronics, pre-assembled. That's the definition of a roller/race roller. Whether or not it includes wheels or tires or body is irrelevant.
Perhaps, but the seller better make it clear that the wheels/tires are not included, if they are pictured. If they do that, then I'm ok with them calling it a roller, although I'll laugh at them behind their backs.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:34 PM
silvermansteve

this thread might show there is no one, settled, definition. especially if a roller does not have to be equipped to roll. no?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Scottgir

ORIGINAL: silvermansteve

this thread might show there is no one, settled, definition. especially if a roller does not have to be equipped to roll. no?
Yes, it shows there are different opinions, but I'll still hold to the common thought

If it can't roll....it's not a roller. It's a "pre-roller".

To me
RTR (ready to run) means out of the box it should be ready to run (batteries are a debate on this issue, I think RTR should mean batteries but that's debatable)
ARTR (almost ready to run) means motor, ESC (if electric) and servos, no radio or batteries.
Roller means basic vehicle with no motor or electronics
Pre-Roller means basic vehicle with no tires and maybe no body.

Now most of the items have something subjective about them, which is why you need to specify every detail prior to a purchase, but a Roller HAS to have tires otherwise....it can't roll.....
Old 03-14-2012, 07:01 AM
The_Shark

i think everyone is thinking about this too literally, its like saying "ready to run" means you pull the car out of the box, flip the switch and drive. sometimes you have to buy the batteries or fuel, charge the battery, sometimes even paint the body or glue the tires.

and shouldn't a "kit" come with EVERYTHING to build your car? servo, esc, battery, reciver, controller, paint for the body, glue for the tires, whats a kit if it doesn't come with everything to make it? the exception is the "chassis kit" so you know its only for the chassis.