Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

We need RC Consumers website.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:44 AM
oznjo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We need RC Consumers website.

This is my opinion but it is too bad we don't have a RC Consumers report that can operate independantly of the manufactors. There was a discussion on anotherforum about a motor that claimed it would last forever. Guess what?? It didnt the owner of the motor brought up some good points . But the owner of thisforum removed the thread I suspect because this engine manufactor advertises on this forum. If there was a RC Consumer report new rc products could be independantly tested and we would know what products are junk and what products are not. In my opinion their are too many forums that are driven by their advertisers .

Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: We need RC Consumers website.

No engine lasts forever, nitro or electric.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:18 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: oznjo

This is my opinion but it is too bad we don't have a RC Consumers report that can operate independantly of the manufactors. There was a discussion on another forum about a motor that claimed it would last forever. Guess what?? It didnt the owner of the motor brought up some good points . But the owner of this forum removed the thread I suspect because this engine manufactor advertises on this forum. If there was a RC Consumer report new rc products could be independantly tested and we would know what products are junk and what products are not. In my opinion their are too many forums that are driven by their advertisers .

I think something like this would be a fantastic idea..........I would definitely support something like this........Not only would it be nice to have honest unbiased reviews, it would also be nice to prevent the crazed fanboys from attacking anyone who gives their favored product a bad review..............Possible issue being what is to prevent biased parties from submitting false reviews.....
Old 03-23-2012, 08:26 AM
proanti1

Something kinda like Consumer Reports. A 3rd party website specifically targeted to the public rating of models. I can imagine it would get pretty messed up pretty quick though.

"engine blew up because i didn't break it in property, 1/5 stars until this gets fixed" a la Android marketplace.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:06 AM
mattster1971

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ithink it would be a mess. True, it would be nice to get an unbiased opinion of manufacturers models without their own spin and hype but you would end up with someone who would take free cars from the manufacturers who want that good review. Then the bias starts. Its just like our political system or any other organization that is eventually affected by greed and other human attributes.
ORIGINAL: proanti1

Something kinda like Consumer Reports. A 3rd party website specifically targeted to the public rating of models. I can imagine it would get pretty messed up pretty quick though.

"engine blew up because i didn't break it in property, 1/5 stars until this gets fixed" a la Android marketplace.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:22 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

won't work.

Most places that tried doing similar in other fields like games got so corrupted it wasn't funny. I remember there was a company it turned out actually hired a full time staff to go around, and submit false reviews...
Like tib said what is to prevent someone from doing the same for this?

Side note most neutral reviewer I seen is prolly Jang from Ultimate RC but that is cause he buys his own stuff from pretty much any company under the sun.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 AM
nitrohead5300

As you have stated the problem would be keeping it from getting corupted. Maybe it could be funded by the goverment as a not for profit organization with goal of educating the public you develope problem solving skills with rc, helping rc consumer select products that are mechanically sound. That way they would not need any advertising to pay for operating expenses.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Tjettzky

Big Squid isn't too bad when it comes to reviews. While they still give fairly high ratings on pretty much everything, they actually say when things break during their testing and (despite the excessive, meaning-diminishing use of the word "uber") they don't often claim that the thing they are testing is their new favorite and/or the best thing ever created.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:49 AM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: supertib

This is my opinion but it is too bad we don't have a RC Consumers report that can operate independantly of the manufactors. There was a discussion on another forum about a motor that claimed it would last forever. Guess what?? It didnt the owner of the motor brought up some good points . But the owner of this forum removed the thread I suspect because this engine manufactor advertises on this forum. If there was a RC Consumer report new rc products could be independantly tested and we would know what products are junk and what products are not. In my opinion their are too many forums that are driven by their advertisers .

I think something like this would be a fantastic idea..........I would definitely support something like this........Not only would it be nice to have honest unbiased reviews, it would also be nice to prevent the crazed fanboys from attacking anyone who gives their favored product a bad review..............Possible issue being what is to prevent biased parties from submitting false reviews.....

[X(]
Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Max_Power

ORIGINAL: nitrohead5300

As you have stated the problem would be keeping it from getting corupted. Maybe it could be funded by the goverment as a not for profit organization with goal of educating the public you develope problem solving skills with rc, helping rc consumer select products that are mechanically sound. That way they would not need any advertising to pay for operating expenses.
I think it would be great to know the low-down or RC goods but I'm sure there are probably as many issues caused by people who don't follow the instructions as product defect. I have about a 9 out of 10 success rate of getting manufacturers/retailers to make good on things when you present it factually, check things they ask you to, and be polite yet firm.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:45 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Anyone remember R/C Report? With out Advertizing you don't last long. Gordon Banks kept alive as long as he could. Went from a Tabloid size news paper to a magaizne to an on line publication to out of buiiessnes. The closest hing to waht you wantt ias a guy from New Zealand that does RCReview.com the Not so weekly weekly RC Review. He reviews and compares a lot of different equipment. check it out. If you like what he does he takes DONATIONS to sustain the show and BUY products so he is not be holdsing to any Manufactor. He'll even review an item if you send him one and send it back to you if you include return poastage from New Zealand.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:06 AM
nitrohead5300

Thanks for the tip, Hounddog.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:20 AM
nitrohead5300

ORIGINAL: Max_Power

ORIGINAL: nitrohead5300

Really? Funded by the government? Do you want to spend your RC money on a government funded hobby pottery tools consumer website? I think it would be great to know the low-down or RC goods but I'm sure there are probably as many issues caused by people who don't follow the instructions as product defect. I have about a 9 out of 10 success rate of getting manufacturers/retailers to make good on things when you present it factually, check things they ask you to, and be polite yet firm.
Who mention pottery?? The focus of the organation would be rc products.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:38 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Really? Really, you ignore the point?

Don't we have enough government funded organizations bankrupting the country already?
Old 03-24-2012, 05:51 AM
HerrSavage

You mean like the military, and prisons?...
Old 03-24-2012, 07:09 AM
rgburrill

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: supertib

This is my opinion but it is too bad we don't have a RC Consumers report that can operate independantly of the manufactors. There was a discussion on anotherforum about a motor that claimed it would last forever. Guess what?? It didnt the owner of the motor brought up some good points . But the owner of thisforum removed the thread I suspect because this engine manufactor advertises on this forum. If there was a RC Consumer report new rc products could be independantly tested and we would know what products are junk and what products are not. In my opinion their are too many forums that are driven by their advertisers .

Honest, unbiased reviews? Isn't going to happen anywhere. Check out the real consumer reports forums - most of the posts are people complaining. And when you get right down to it the problem is THEY did something wrong. Really, how could anyone believe an engine or motor would last forever?

I must have missed the reviews that were deleted because I see a lot of negative comments in these forums. Often they will get locked but the negative comments are still there. I have even been warned about my commentson occassion. Must have taken an awful lot of ABUSIVE discussion to get an entire thread deleted.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:53 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Products are usually rated ;good, better or best. In our hobby cost seems to drive everything and the uninformed buy the least expensive. These same individuals complain the most when they realize their purchase was junk. Compare an OS FX glow engine to an ASP and there is none.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:28 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Products are usually rated ;good, better or best. In our hobby cost seems to drive everything and the uninformed buy the least expensive. These same individuals complain the most when they realize their purchase was junk. Compare an OS FX glow engine to an ASP and there is none.
Fanboys skew results. I knew a person who swears by ASP engines. He honestly thinks they're better than OS.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:47 AM
HerrSavage

DP.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 AM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: flycatch

If I spent 300 bucks on an engine that wasn't awesome I'd be far more pissed and complain more than if I'd spent 150.....
Old 03-24-2012, 09:50 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

problems with rating is how do you rate them
is a $40 BL motor going to stack up to the quality of a $150 BL motor?
Will it be based off their performance for the money, or their performance head to head?
What would be the benchmark to compare it to?

Even durability of an RC is questionable. What each user subjects it through is completely different than the next. Did that A-arm snap cause of manufacturer defect or cause the person couldn't land a jump right to save their life?
Old 03-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

There is such a place....http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/

Old 03-24-2012, 12:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Prop_Washer2

There is such a place....http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/

site has nothing to do with ground based RC's
Old 03-24-2012, 01:22 PM
nitrohead5300

Now if there was a site like that one for Rc Cars .
Old 03-24-2012, 01:25 PM
nitrohead5300

ORIGINAL: Scar

Really? Really, you ignore the point?

Don't we have enough government funded organizations bankrupting the country already?
No both political parties are doing that.[&o]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.