Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

My first Tamiya

Old 05-21-2012, 04:26 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first Tamiya

I like the P-905 body that you have, I always wanted the Nissan so I ended up getting the Nissan, then I changed the rims from the white spoke to the black star rims, now I just need to paint the body and rim centers.....
Old 05-21-2012, 04:57 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, i avoided the nissan for the fact that i had to paint it, I like the nissan better.

however it was a waste because I'm not going to even run the stock body, its too nice
Old 05-21-2012, 05:09 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah the Nissan wont be a runner I have another Group C chassis that I run, this will go on the shelf with the F40
Old 05-21-2012, 06:58 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal

Nah I plan on doing a BMW or similar American LeMans Series type of car. I saw them at the Long Beach Grand Prix in the morning practice in the rain and those cars are just EPIC. Way more exciting than the IndyCars there even...

Anyways, I still got no clue about gearing... are the gears F103 specific? Because I stripped my stock spur by using the wrong sharp pinion...

Yeah so I figure just longer post and new front bumper/mount.

[link=http://www.ebay.com/itm/360440218870?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1439.l2649]adapter[/link] using that will allow you to use any kimbrough diff spur gear, get one with the balls already in it, and just pick up a 6-pack of steel pinions.

they are much tougher, more quiet and far more efficient than the crap tamiya uses.

its a crime how much the adapter costs because it looks like a a little shock washer and probably cost .01 to make 100 of them! but in the end its worth it.
A nitro car is quieter than Tamiya's gear noise...
So... will the new gearing make it faster? Or what exactly will it do....

I might do an F40 or Mercedes too... I have not clue what to do, but I think I will build up my grip F103.

Actually I might trade my brushless setup so I remeber seeing some guys running 27t motors with 25/100 gearing and they flew because you don't need as much acceleration on an F1... any thoughts on that?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:46 PM
The_Shark

Nah I plan on doing a BMW or similar American LeMans Series type of car. I saw them at the Long Beach Grand Prix in the morning practice in the rain and those cars are just EPIC. Way more exciting than the IndyCars there even...

Anyways, I still got no clue about gearing... are the gears F103 specific? Because I stripped my stock spur by using the wrong sharp pinion...

Yeah so I figure just longer post and new front bumper/mount.

[link=http://www.ebay.com/itm/360440218870?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649]adapter[/link] using that will allow you to use any kimbrough diff spur gear, get one with the balls already in it, and just pick up a 6-pack of steel pinions.

they are much tougher, more quiet and far more efficient than the crap tamiya uses.

its a crime how much the adapter costs because it looks like a a little shock washer and probably cost .01 to make 100 of them! but in the end its worth it.
A nitro car is quieter than Tamiya's gear noise...
So... will the new gearing make it faster? Or what exactly will it do....

I might do an F40 or Mercedes too... I have not clue what to do, but I think I will build up my grip F103.

Actually I might trade my brushless setup so I remeber seeing some guys running 27t motors with 25/100 gearing and they flew because you don't need as much acceleration on an F1... any thoughts on that?

Installing a REAL spur gear (not tamiya's crappy, big toothed, 6 balled spur) will improve diff function due to twice the amount of diff balls, the smaller gear teeth and improved material runs quieter, lasts longer, allows more gearing options and improves run time and acceleration.

25/100 sounds like 64P and thats fine but do know you will still be using aluminum pinions, with 48P you can buy STEEL ones. 64P is also whisper quiet.

also a 27turn motor can net you 30-35mph and crazy acceleration, brushless is nice, but you don't really need a high KV setup 3500kv is plenty and 4500 is crazy.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 PM
narwalrus

Okay sounds good. I'll buy those parts as soon as I get some money
I'm trading my GTB/7.5t for a Kyosho Inferno GT which I was going to convert to electric using that system but I'll sell the gas motor and stuff so no problem. I'll update ya soon

Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 PM
The_Shark

Okay sounds good. I'll buy those parts as soon as I get some money
I'm trading my GTB/7.5t for a Kyosho Inferno GT which I was going to convert to electric using that system but I'll sell the gas motor and stuff so no problem. I'll update ya soon

cool, good luck
Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 PM
narwalrus

He just sold it. I'm kinds sad now... I was really excited >:P
Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 PM
The_Shark

it could be worse, ive bought things i was so super excited about getting it, but when i got them, it was like getting kicked right in the gut because they where so different from what I expected. like a recent purchase 2 ofna monster pirates one rtr, one ARR when i got them i was shocked, NOTHING left to them, one would take $180 to fix, the other $200 and they where not even monster pirates!

but my latest purchase i could not be happier, a Jammin CRT X1 kit, I thought it was coming with a SH freebie motor, and a crappy pipe with crappy servos and expecting the worst, but it actually came with some sweet equipment and in decent shape

keep your eyes open, jammin X1 stuff sells dirt cheap sometimes.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 PM
narwalrus

On the other hand, now I can use the setup in my F103 >: D
Old 05-23-2012, 05:45 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it could be worse, ive bought things i was so super excited about getting it, but when i got them, it was like getting kicked right in the gut because they where so different from what I expected. like a recent purchase 2 ofna monster pirates one rtr, one ARR when i got them i was shocked, NOTHING left to them, one would take $180 to fix, the other $200 and they where not even monster pirates!

but my latest purchase i could not be happier, a Jammin CRT X1 kit, I thought it was coming with a SH freebie motor, and a crappy pipe with crappy servos and expecting the worst, but it actually came with some sweet equipment and in decent shape

keep your eyes open, jammin X1 stuff sells dirt cheap sometimes.
tell me about it
1st HPI MT1... Thing I dunno where it was stored the parts were so brittle it wasn't funny they would break if you looked at it, also engine was shot. Sold as in great condition (also 1st hobby grade what a way to come in, and on top of it I over paid)

Hpi Brama 10b.... I will just leave it there I can go into a 2-3 paragraph thread on how disappointed I was with it, and it was NIB which makes it worst...

Traxxas Merv... Dunno after 1 run I just didn't like it, just something about it (might be the insane tendency to wheelie) turned me off to it

Hpi Mini Recon... again for being NIB it just has so many issues... Probably only thing that didn't disapoint me was the radio at least that is pretty decent as far as RTR radios go

My Jammin X1 CRT. Its not the platform as the platform is excelent, it was just the one I got. The pictures on the ad were extremely deceptive, and when I got it I literally had to remove like a pound of clay that was jammed in EVERYWHERE even the diffs were packed with it... It also had the motor mount trashed, along with the holes on the chassis (I wanted to try it as a nitro seeing I had a spare engine) Dude must have broke a motor mount screw (probably due to RED LOCTITE) so he just drilled through the chassis into the motor mount instead of replacing a $8 part... And to top it off the dude that sold it used red loctite on EVERY single screw so it took me over 2 hours to dismantle the damn thing seeing I needed to use a lighter to heat up the screws to break the damn loctite... Yea I was not pleased at all...
Old 05-23-2012, 06:55 AM
The_Shark

sounds like the two MT's I got (was able to get full refund) on both there where litterally holes the size of a C sized battery, diffs exploded, dogbones missing, wrong parts used, backplate off of engine missing, machine screws and bolts everywhere ect. Honestly, those two cars are the only ones that I thought needed to be thrown away, nothing was right.

and the second nitro evader, god, the engine was blown, the rims where cracked and horribly out of round, the transmission was shot, servos where shot, radio was shot. it was sold 9/10 GREAT shape, new engine barely driven! i bought it for $130 put $60 into it and sold it for $75... not a good day[&o]

thats the thing with buying used, you can get the deal of the year, or buy a lump of dirt. its hard to tell unless you see it in person.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:00 AM
The_Shark

oh yeah, the brama 10B looks like a cheap ebay knockoff car.

I don't trust HPI anymore and will never buy another thing from them again.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:42 AM
narwalrus

It is a cheap knockoff.
Its an E10
/rimshot

Old 05-23-2012, 11:59 AM
The_Shark

the worst thing i ever bought NEW was when i was young and dumb, i bought a 1/8 scale porche touring car, i was SO excited to get it, and when I opened the box, it was a cheap nikko type car with plastic wheels and no digital proportion, on top of that it took 2 months to get and spent a whopping $130 on it, the seller (from china) offered $70 after i sent it back and paid shipping.

since the car was useless I tossed it in the garbage but kept the body.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 PM
narwalrus

Well I can't do that luckily as I have no money. I just try to trade a lot!
Old 05-23-2012, 01:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

actually The brama 10b I did like its layout and design(more so than the DF-02), it actually had potential... Just the materials used in its construction make the cheapest toy grade RC look bulletproof, and destroyed all its potential.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:53 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After roughly 17 years in the hobby (since i was 5) I finally got my first Tamiya, it was a late birthday present but it was a good one. It's a re-release of the Mercedes C11 Group C chassis, i don't have it in my hands yet, it should be here in a couple days.

I have always wanted a car with real scale looks, Tamiya almost always fills that niche, but every time i think about buying one, they discontinue it, since this is a re-release and all parts are stocked, i feel a little more at ease.

i don't go to the track to run on-roads, but i think i will start with this thing, i have a few really nice places to run it at home too.

What was your first Tamiya? Does anyone else run a Group C chassis?

My first Tamiya was the grasshopper. I was 11 yrs old when a kid in school brought in a FAV. The following saturday we went to the LHS and put one on layaway. We didn't have a lot of money so my mom put $20 down on it It took a couple of months of washing cars and mowing lawns but I paid the rest off.

That started what has been a life long hobby. I'm now 37 and still own that original hopper. Over the years I've bought sold and traded thousands of RC's but Tamiya has always been my favorite.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:42 AM
The_Shark

thats cool to have kept that car all those years, I kept the wheel and tire from my first hobby grade r/c, a traxxas bandit with a resistance speed control.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:51 PM
narwalrus

I hope to build something like this on my F103:

Or this:

Do you think that's possible?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:12 PM
The_Shark

I hope to build something like this on my F103:
[img][/img]
Or this:
[img][/img]
Do you think that's possible?
cool, if you can find a body, sure! F104 tires would work better though.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:54 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

My first Tamiya is still being built..... A LUNCHBOX! Having troubles with the gearbox right now. I can never seem to allign the motor right with the other gears. Any help?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:24 AM
narwalrus

ORIGINAL: collector1231

My first Tamiya is still being built..... A LUNCHBOX! Having troubles with the gearbox right now. I can never seem to allign the motor right with the other gears. Any help?

cool, if you can find a body, sure! F104 tires would work better though.
I don't think anyone makes one. I was looking at some 1/12 to 1/8th scale plastic model kits of similar cars. I think it would work with the right mods.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:34 AM
rampitdave

Boomerang ... still has pride of place on my display shelf ...
Old 05-27-2012, 12:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

LOL that reminds me of my one boss (Who I was the happiest ever working under, work didn't even seem like work with him) called those a "High Precision Alignment tool". When I started a few of the computer towers (bolted to the desk) were slanted so he said "Hey get the high precision alignment tool from the back" I went in back came out and said where is at. He pointed at the box of mallets I handed him one thinking he was joking and he started beating the royal crap out of the tower till it stood straight up, and said "now you go do the same to the rest" Seriously best boss I ever had only one to ever to make work actually fun(we were also the most productive dept), too bad upper management didn't like him (productivity dropped to -5% when he got replaced, along with 95% of the dept quitting in 2 weeks)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.