Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Purchasing off-brand RC

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:27 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing off-brand RC

I've been trying to buy a 1/8th scale Electric rally car, and decided off-brand may be the way to go. Please do not discuss the quality, I understand whta I would be getting.
This is the vehicle I am attempting to find:
http://topwin.en.alibaba.com/product...C_car_toy.html
It is of course listed on multiple stores and other various China-based shops.
It appears to be the base of this vehicle which Jang seemed to like. (Sold by Exceed for a much higher price however)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_WJ0...feature=relmfu
Alishanmao did a video of it when it would potentially be liscenced as a Redcat.

So, I would like to hear everyones experience and recommendations when buying off brands, and maybe a bit of help finding this one.
Thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 04:03 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Purchasing off-brand RC

exceed 1/8 chassis are based off of ofna's LX series, which is a very tough chassis, however, i don't have any experience running one.

sometimes you are better off buying the original than the clone, sometimes clones are made with weak materials and may have one or two differences in the chassis that prevents you from installing name brand parts.

with redcat and exceed at least you know you can fine replacement parts.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It does look like it shares some design aspects as an ofna...but then many 1/8 scale chassis look alike to me.

I happen to know that redcat will be adding 8 models to their lineup (should see them this fall)

So its possible something like this will be sold as a redcat. I expect to see 2 or 3 of the new models to be based off current redcat models...but with 8 models being added Im sure some of them will be completely new to redcat. And a 1/8 onroad would be a good addition for redcat.

The ESC/motor combo looks to be the same that the 8e line uses, and ezrun/hobbywing 80a 4s system. That system has enough power for the earthquake 8e, which has 5.5 inch tall tires and pulls wheelies like crazy. Truthfully, that system is overkill for a drift car. But if you can find 17mm street tires for it then it should do 45-50mph no problem.

Id buy from exceed if you cant wait. At least they have SOME customer service. I wish I could say for certain if redcat will sell it, they have a good warrenty.

If exceed sells it, then at least you should be able to buy replacement parts no matter who/where you buy it from.

No matter who you buy it from...plan on upgrading the steering servo. doesnt matter if its off-brand china/exceed or redcat...the servos ALWAYS suck. But a MG996R servo is cheap and plenty strong.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 PM
narwalrus

Thanks. The Exceed is too expensive though. I prefer the rally setup of the one I linked to.. here's a video of it from Redcat - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwPdSvrSRTk

And the discount of buying more directly...That ones estimated price was $160-170.

I can totally wait, I'm broke right now anyway so it's just looking whats out there.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal

Thanks. The Exceed is too expensive though. I prefer the rally setup of the one I linked to.. here's a video of it from Redcat - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwPdSvrSRTk

And the discount of buying more directly...That ones estimated price was $160-170.

I can totally wait, I'm broke right now anyway so it's just looking whats out there.

is it just me, or does the body not look right. The proportions just dont seem right on the subby.

$170 is pretty dang cheap. If redcat does come out with something like this id assume it will be priced like the 8e's...around $300 with lipos and charger.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:29 PM
narwalrus

The body is wrong but so is Kyosho's 1/8th

Yeah it is really cheap... I'm a bit scared of Alibaba though...

Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

The body is wrong but so is Kyosho's 1/8th
[img][/img]
Yeah it is really cheap... I'm a bit scared of Alibaba though...

that one looks better IMO.

On the one in the video its largely the body compared to the wheels that doesnt seem right.

I have seen a redcat backdraft 8e turned into a 1/8 onroad car. came out pretty sweet!
Link to thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93..._1/key_/tm.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91061.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1764965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88336.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1764966  
Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM
narwalrus

The China one is still cheaper. Do you have any information about finding out if Alibaba services are legitimate? I mean they often provide safety with purchases but I've never used them...
Old 05-21-2012, 09:03 PM
The_Shark

The China one is still cheaper. Do you have any information about finding out if Alibaba services are legitimate? I mean they often provide safety with purchases but I've never used them...
did you see there is a minimum order of 2?

ofna sells a dirt oval, its just a rally car, and a rally car is just a lowered buggy. you can get a kit new for $189, throw in your own electronics and your good to go!

be very afraid, its a knock off of a knock off, i got one of those deals, and the ESC started on FIRE!! the tires you can bet are going to be useless. its a knockoff of a exceed which is a knockoff of ofna.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:07 PM
narwalrus

Yeah been looking for an ofna... waiting for the right deal. Speaking of which, I might have a deal on an Inferno GT coming in
Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 PM
The_Shark

watch ebay like a hawk! I'm getting a ARR Jammin CRT x1 pro in the mail tomorrow that i scored for $125. it looks good but has a crappy SH engine on it. I failed to ask questions because i bought it 8minutes after it was listed

The bill me later option is sweet, after a 5pt "hard pull" on your credit your first purchases over $100 are interest free and not due for 5 months! no effect on your credit unless you don't pay your bills for a few months.

you can get second hand ofna's for nothing if you look hard enough, and if you get a 9.5 or LX you can convert them from buggy, to touring car, to truggy with a few parts.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:35 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Alibaba is just a front, they do not sell anything. They list various import products and have links to manufactures and distributors.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:32 PM
narwalrus

Well the deal on the Inferno GT went through as long as he likes it in person

So I no longer need this. Thanks for the help!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:07 PM
strongwind
Banned

Hi,guys,<o></o>

low profile servo is always interestingfor us,now we sell mainly Sanwa en Ko prpop low profile which are veryexpensive servo at Foamies.<o></o>

After I found Fitec FS5679M and FS5515M,I bought4 samples from their wholesale website www.fitecrc.com<o></o>

we are building one of it in our test 1/8 car and race it Last race on Sunday 20May.<o></o>

its functions very good ,it is fast,strong and centering is perfect .<o></o>

none ofthem is chattering round zero like other bad servos<o></o>

i am very satisfied and start selling themhere in Netherlands.<o></o>

this a nice alternative for ourracers,I think.<o></o>

It is worth to try!<o></o>