Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Worst Hobby Grade Rc you've ever owned?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Worst Hobby Grade Rc you've ever owned?

Old 06-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Cruzer50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst Hobby Grade Rc you've ever owned?

Just tell us about the worst hobby grade rc you have ever owned.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Mufasa_719

Default RE: Worst Hobby Grade Rc you've ever owned?

With my luck it has been the T-maxx. Had 3 all 3 never worked properly.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:41 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HPI Savage XSS.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:57 AM
sparky 25

Funny, hpi savage xss is one of my best trucks I ever ran,

Never broke anything in over 10 gallon even with half of that run time with an lrp30 in it,

The worst hobby grade truck or trucks I ever owned are,

Tamiya txt1, cen gst 7.7, cen mg16,

I currently own a hpi savage flux hp, losi lst, savage xl, and rovan fg 4x4 1/6 truck,

These trucks run good for me.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Mufasa_719

My savage was industructable....I remember herrsavage from S-C
Old 06-23-2012, 01:42 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brama 10b (think its one of the worst ever made at that)
10 mins of run time broke the chassis, and rear diff stripped (due to the chassis snapping)
threw it in a box for 1-2 years rebuilt it for my youngest nephew. He broke the chassis again on STOCK power in the same exact place, and destroyed the rear diff again while driving strictly on flat level concrete...
HPI IMO should have offered everyone a full refund for that turd cause I don't think I've read one person that had good experiences with it.

#2 is the HPI recon. Rims are crap, ESC is crap (mine burnt out today actually used it a total of 6 mins), servo is weak, and replacement parts are ludicrously expensive. Only thing on the RC that doesn't completely suck is the RTR radio which is a pretty nice 2.4ghz setup. At least this one wasn't a complete waste like the brama 10b...
Old 06-23-2012, 03:06 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Original Monster GT... I had nothing but problems with that thing, it was also a total pain in the ass to tear down.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:24 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T-Maxx

some of the most fun I have had with a rc but by far the most amount of wrenching, EVERY piece has had to be replaced at least once, namely the plastic out-drive crap, weak bulkheads, diffs and flimsy skid plates have been replaced 3-4 times in only 2 years. and this is only a .15 picco powered truck.

I will never own another traxxas product as long as I live.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:14 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol shark. ive all ways wonder what happened to u to dislike traxxas so much.

Dont u think thats a bit excessive to state that u will never buy a traxxas when u have only ever had one of there products?

Ive never knowen some one to have so manny problems with a tmaxx, what were u doing to it? was it ur first truck?
Old 06-23-2012, 05:22 PM
scoobs92

redcat i forgot the model i think its the shock wave 1st run i bend the drive shafts the tranny stripped 2nd time after fixing it i went off a small curb and bent the chasis and the front shock tower it flipped once and broke the shock i tossed it out at that point all im doing is putting in the same crappy parts that were breaking
Old 06-23-2012, 05:33 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

T-Maxx

some of the most fun I have had with a rc but by far the most amount of wrenching, EVERY piece has had to be replaced at least once, namely the plastic out-drive crap, weak bulkheads, diffs and flimsy skid plates have been replaced 3-4 times in only 2 years. and this is only a .15 picco powered truck.

Traxxas has done a lot since the T-Maxx, the Revo is probably one of the toughest RC cars I have ever owned aside from a few 1/8th scale buggies.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:00 PM
NOVAMEGA

The losi mini-t(first ones)..I got mine when they first hit the stores. No bearings and the motor lasted a day. And the receiver/esc combo was pure trash.....
Old 06-23-2012, 08:31 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: proanti1

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

T-Maxx

Traxxas has done a lot since the T-Maxx, the Revo is probably one of the toughest RC cars I have ever owned aside from a few 1/8th scale buggies.
unless I can pick a nice one up for $200, no thanks.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:16 PM
phmaximus

yeah but how can u judge a company on one of there products?

It would be like me saying...

I use to have a 1985 Holden VK Commodore Calis
it was one of the slowest cars ive ever ownes LPG really did a number on the compression of the motor, it leaked oil like a british car, would take nearly 30sec to get a burnout started, Diff whined more than my wife, Hardly any of the electronics worked, the speedo use to cut out and pop the fuse. suspension was so worn it nearly changed lanes over bumps, roof lining was hanging down, broken seat mounts. ect ect...

Because of that I will never buy a GM made car ever again

pic for referance, looked exactly the same as this...
Old 06-23-2012, 09:32 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

yeah but how can u judge a company on one of there products?

It would be like me saying...

I use to have a 1985 Holden VK Commodore Calis
it was one of the slowest cars ive ever ownes LPG really did a number on the compression of the motor, it leaked oil like a british car, would take nearly 30sec to get a burnout started, Diff whined more than my wife, Hardly any of the electronics worked, the speedo use to cut out and pop the fuse. suspension was so worn it nearly changed lanes over bumps, roof lining was hanging down, broken seat mounts. ect ect...

Because of that I will never buy a GM made car ever again

pic for referance, looked exactly the same as this...
i've been around the block a few times, owned a t-maxx bandit, rustler driven revo's, 4 tec's I don't like them, the value is the worst on the market, they are getting exceedingly more expensive, when they where cheap, I didn't mind the flaws, now they cost a premium and are simply not worth it.

kyosho, OFNA, mugen, Xray, thunder tigre, those are worth the money.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:53 PM
phmaximus

ok, cool ,just as long as u have tryed other products from traxxas

I do admit some are expensive, like the summit... but comparing it to a little axial kit, they are alot bigger and would cost alot more to manifacture... so they might be on the ball with there prices

Slash, bandit, rustler & stampede are all well priced IMO

even the nitro revo's are well priced when u compare them to some of the 1/8 biggies and they tower over them.

No kidding whats wrong with a revo??? my revo platnium has mental acceleration on out local track, absoulty kills my mates Hyper 7's
only 1/8 i would be scared off would be a losi 8
Old 06-23-2012, 10:06 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

ok, cool ,just as long as u have tryed other products from traxxas

I do admit some are expensive, like the summit... but comparing it to a little axial kit, they are alot bigger and would cost alot more to manifacture... so they might be on the ball with there prices

Slash, bandit, rustler & stampede are all well priced IMO

even the nitro revo's are well priced when u compare them to some of the 1/8 biggies and they tower over them.

No kidding whats wrong with a revo??? my revo platnium has mental acceleration on out local track, absoulty kills my mates Hyper 7's
only 1/8 i would be scared off would be a losi 8
my ofna 9.5 with a jammin .21 race engine, lightened bell, aluminum clutch shoes and torsen diff would spook you how fast it accelerates. it is just scary.

the revo is ok, its just a bit overcomplicated for my tastes and doesn't have a real big block engine.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:29 PM
phmaximus

would love to get a Picco .26 for my revo...
Old 06-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RC18B2/T2, what a pile that car is out of the box. With very little money and a lot of work, you can make them really good, but stock, they are poorer than a brooklyn hobo. I never swore about a car so many times. Eugh, just remembering it.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:22 PM
robwiljas

The worst was a Cen MG16MT, thing fell apart during breakin.

A close second was a Losi 1/16 Raminator, same thing as a Mini LST. The diffs on them are horrible.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:33 AM
kurtistjustic

Duratrax warhead Damn was it fast and fun but that 2 speed transmission was crap Lotta work to pull that tranny apart and after the 4 th time i rebuilt i said screw it i mean it was durable in other way's and i'd get about 10 good run's or a little more before the tranny would fail.Made me an electric man all the way!...
Old 06-24-2012, 03:39 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mufasa_719

My savage was industructable....I remember herrsavage from S-C

Broke is broke, and that's all that Savage ever was.

Which is kind of a shame - because my first real RC, a Savage 25 RTR, was really a great RC..

But whatever, the LST2 I bought at the same time as the XSS (which I sold years ago) is still going strong. That LST2 is the best RC I've had - and I've had a good few at this point.. .. My second LST2 hasn't been quite as good.. But that just goes to show - there is a lot of quality inconsistency in RC. And so many variables..

But crap is crap, and that XSS was crap.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:32 AM
rcbasher123
Banned

For me it was the Savage XS. nothing but trouble, first thing I had to do was re-bind the reciever to the transmitter right out of the box then on my second run the pinion came loose so I had to get to the pinion and add some thread locker, getting to the pinon took ages because this truck has everything tucked away and hard to get to and then when i finally got the pinon sorted out the esc died and it needed a new one, 3 runs after I got the new esc for some strange reason the wire for the reciever broke and I don'r even know how or why that one happened and HPI would not replace the reciever as the did for my esc so I had to buy a new one of those. I would complain about the servo but not many rtr rcs have great servos so I guess I can give it a pass on that one. All in all it was just broken all the time and not from me abusing it, I can deal with something breaking because of what I did but this thing would break just becuase it wanted to. I had fun when it worked but for me my mini e-revo was and is much more reliable.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:33 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

MQ9 Reaper Predator Drone from Hobby King. Flew like a POS. Went together even worse and required lots of mods to make air worthy.

back in the day, i had most anything with wheels that was mfg'd. Now I cant stand rc cars because of all the wrenching i used to do. If I were to get another, Id grab a clodzilla and do FPV.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:59 AM
ejc34710

Traxxas T-Maxx. Absolute junk imo...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.