Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

going to open my own lhs

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 04:41 PM
blazen06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to open my own lhs

My wife finally gave into me opening my own shop. I'm gonna start small with repairs cleaning and tuning. The only problem I'm having is coming up with a name . I'm reaching out to my fellow rc heads for a possible names.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:55 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: going to open my own lhs

You can use your last name, gives people a sense that you personally stand behind what you do. Or your town name, or county name. Or something clever, but don't go too cheesy, people might not think yo are serious.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:58 PM
blazen06

I thinking of Backyard Basher Hobbies
Old 06-25-2012, 05:09 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: blazen06

I wouldn't use basher personally cause lets face it outside the people who browse RC forums chances are people won't know what it is.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:37 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DR. RC
Old 06-25-2012, 07:11 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Is this going to be a land rc shop only? Seems a bit narrow, most of my lhs have all types rc, model train and slot cars, usually some model kits, rockets, little pinewood derby, etc.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:45 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: kistner

Is this going to be a land rc shop only? Seems a bit narrow, most of my lhs have all types rc, model train and slot cars, usually some model kits, rockets, little pinewood derby, etc.
would be the opposite of one LHS I know they have tons of airplanes, 1-2 boats, a single blitz, and one rustler on the shelf. Their ground based RC parts bin is a single shoebox (seriously)
Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

I think it should have "Hobby" in the title.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Foxy

Blazin' Hobbies.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:56 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

If you can find the right location, opening a shop with a track/indoor pit facility will help you stay afloat if you're trying to be RC only.

If you are planning to be a hobby shop only, you'll need to consider expanding into plastic models, planes, trains, paint, etc to broaden your market.

One LHS is my area shares space with a beads/yarn/crafts supply place.  They are on one side, the RC/models/paints are on the other. 

Good luck!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 AM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: blazen06

Guess you won't be stocking any Kyosho MP9 parts.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:37 AM
blazen06

I'm working on a kyosho  buggie right now for my buddy and I'm looking into picking one up for myself . So I would probably stock parts for them
Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Eman77

Crazy [Your First Name]'s Hobbies

Then put a wacky sign out front:

Crazy Bill's Hobbies! Where all the wackos come to RC! Yippee!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:27 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

per your reponse below, thats even more reason to supply and service all the areas of RC. you can also pull their clients as well as pull new clients for rc vehicles. you''ll need to target as many client types as possible to survive.

I like your enthusiam but you might want to rethink your wifes opinion. she knows you better then we do and you obviously have no real business management or marketing experience and the RC industry is very tough. Im not criticizing you, just being very blunt.

Horizon ect... is prob a good distributor to get paired with for starters.

DEptford NJ. I know that town very well,, there used to be a hobbyshop around the DT area that had plenty of RC car and truck stuff years back. I guess their gone now.... as a hint. The area has a higher cost of living compared to the surrounding towns.

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: kistner

would be the opposite of one LHS I know they have tons of airplanes, 1-2 boats, a single blitz, and one rustler on the shelf. Their ground based RC parts bin is a single shoebox (seriously)
Old 06-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Valgath

I have 2 local LHS one is called EDs RC and the other is called Speedy Bills RC . To be honest in your question for a name just go with what you think you like as long as it has the hobby or RC in the name.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

As others have said, having HOBBY in the name is a good idea. The local shops by are Toms Patchogue Hobby and Action Hobbies.

Before you go to far, have you called or contacted any of the distributors yet to see whats required to get an account for a store? The amount of $$$ required may have you rethinking your plan!

A friend owned a store for a few years about 15+ years ago. It was RC oriented. I handled any repairs that came in or built a kit if the buyer didn't want to build it themselves (car/truck/engines, etc.)

He did have several locals coming in asking about trains so he checked. Lionel at the time required a store to have an operating layout! Amazing...

His biggest issue with dealers turned out to be the minimum order amount each required at a time. IIRC, Great Planes was the lowest while HH was the highest. Wonder whats it like today...

He also thought it wouldn't be to bad competing with some of the larger shops as he could order just about anything they carried. HOWEVER, it seems he lost a lot of sales as he didn't have an item in stock (kits/ARF's). If the customer had to wait for an item to be ordered, they said they might as well order it themselves as it would be delivered to their door... He was not able to meet the sale prices all the time either, unless he ordered several of the product to get a discount.

if I ever win the lottery I want to open a shop. Probably the only time i could afford it with overhead from rent and such...

Good luck!!
Bill S>
Old 06-26-2012, 03:00 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

I recommend only selling RC hovercraft.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:06 PM
blazen06

I wanna take in all rc land air and water but for now I'll start with land . I also gonna take on custom metal work . My dad was a welder for 40 yrs and I pick that up so I'm a experienced welder.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:11 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

For 90% of your profit I will let you use my name BOBBY"S HOBBIES!

BE HAPPY HOBBIE'S
Old 06-26-2012, 06:00 PM
ma_mulcahy

I have to second Twin Flyer's thoughts above having been in the retail business myself. Having capital to invest in inventory is absolutely crucial. For a small shop, plan on investing at least $50,000 to have the products on hand that people want. You have to think clearly as well.... don't stock the stuff that you like or the stuff your rep is pushing. Do your research and stock what sells. Find ways to draw customers into your business and the hobby.

Last but not least. have fun dealing with customers that will try your patience. Like the guy that wanted to know why our service price was low, he told me he thought it was because we were "too stupid not to charge more"....lol I bit my tongue. There is one in every crowd.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Have you done a market survey of the area - who are your competitors, what are their strengths/weaknesses, how many people reside within a 45-minute drive, what will you do that no one in the area does now?  I admire your heart & motivation, just want you to go in with eyes wide open.
Good Luck, keep us posted.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: ma_mulcahy

I have to second Twin Flyer's thoughts above having been in the retail business myself. Having capital to invest in inventory is absolutely crucial. For a small shop, plan on investing at least $50,000 to have the products on hand that people want. You have to think clearly as well.... don't stock the stuff that you like or the stuff your rep is pushing. Do your research and stock what sells. Find ways to draw customers into your business and the hobby.

Last but not least. have fun dealing with customers that will try your patience. Like the guy that wanted to know why our service price was low, he told me he thought it was because we were "too stupid not to charge more"....lol I bit my tongue. There is one in every crowd.
$50,000 bare minimum. We were going to go brick & morter back In January with a $50K budget. E-Commerce is our bread & butter. By the time it was all said & done, $50,000 was barely going to be enough and that amount only included about 30 days worth of fudge factor. So if we didn't turn profit in the first 30 days, we'd be in the red. I decided to hold off. That decision was supported when I started reading thru the dealer contracts with some of the larger distributors. This was especially true running and brick & morter AND the E-Commerce. Lost my deposit on the building, but I am okay with that. I think I'd have lost much more opening a store in this economy.

Not trying to deter you, just make sure you have all your T's crossed and your I's dotted. I wish you the very best of success.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have, several times, used my hobbies to make money. The one truth I have found is that it always turns into a job and I no longer enjoy it[&o]

Try to keep it fun I guess. dont ask me how though
Old 06-26-2012, 08:46 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

I have, several times, used my hobbies to make money. The one truth I have found is that it always turns into a job and I no longer enjoy it[&o]

Try to keep it fun I guess. dont ask me how though
so true... so true

very few times you can mix the 2
only person I know who can do it(and did it for awhile) was my brother when he had a pawn shop. This was mainly due to his favorite hobby being screwing people out of cash, haggling, and selling crap he buys for top dollar.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Bamafever
My Feedback: (2)

We hand a lhs here few years back that burned down,It was called  MIDFIELD HOBBY HUT.I always thought the hobby hut part was a cool name.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.