Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
 Not a "which model" question, but rather, which category? >

Not a "which model" question, but rather, which category?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Not a "which model" question, but rather, which category?

Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Not a

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

If you want the short course look, then go with a short course truck (SCT for short). The Stampede 4x4 is the same thing as the Slash 4x4 just with an extended chassis and a few small parts that make it look like a monster truck. I say go with the Slash. If you decide that it doesn't have enough ground clearance and gets stuck too easily (which I doubt will be the case) then you can simply throw some larger tires/wheels on it like are on the Stampede 4x4, and then problem solved. For your terrain, a 4wd SCT should get you over most of it. But like I said, if it doesn't, throw on some 2.8 inch monster truck tires and wheels and then you've got all the ground clearance of a Stampede 4x4, just then you can put back on the SCT wheels and tires and make it look like an SCT again. This is what I mean when I say put bigger 2.8s on it if you don't like the SCT thing after all:

Hope I helped.
correction shorter chassis. Trust me I converted my slash to a pede, as I found SCT's to suck bashing

Slash 4X4 specs Length: 22.36" (568mm)
Pede 4X4 specs Length: 19.3" (490mm)

Parts differences between the slash 4X4, and pede 4X4
main chassis (pedes is shorter), drive shaft (again pedes is shorter), wheelie bar, and the front bumper/skid plate, tires, and body.
Outside that the arms, body mounts, shocks, diffs etc are the same.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

If you want the short course look, then go with a short course truck (SCT for short). The Stampede 4x4 is the same thing as the Slash 4x4 just with an extended chassis and a few small parts that make it look like a monster truck. I say go with the Slash. If you decide that it doesn't have enough ground clearance and gets stuck too easily (which I doubt will be the case) then you can simply throw some larger tires/wheels on it like are on the Stampede 4x4, and then problem solved. For your terrain, a 4wd SCT should get you over most of it. But like I said, if it doesn't, throw on some 2.8 inch monster truck tires and wheels and then you've got all the ground clearance of a Stampede 4x4, just then you can put back on the SCT wheels and tires and make it look like an SCT again. This is what I mean when I say put bigger 2.8s on it if you don't like the SCT thing after all:

Hope I helped.
correction shorter chassis. Trust me I converted my slash to a pede, as I found SCT's to suck bashing

Slash 4X4 specs Length: 22.36'' (568mm)
Pede 4X4 specs Length: 19.3'' (490mm)

Parts differences between the slash 4X4, and pede 4X4
main chassis (pedes is shorter), drive shaft (again pedes is shorter), wheelie bar, and the front bumper/skid plate, tires, and body.
Outside that the arms, body mounts, shocks, diffs etc are the same.
Oops yeah you're right. I know I just got it backwards because I was thinking about something else.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:46 AM

anyways one thing the pede has over the slash (other than being better offroad)
Is that with minimal mods you can get the pede to act like a 4wd truggy(which is what I did). running ST tires/rims (off a bullet), and the center diff mine preforms like a truggy (actually probably handles better than some) just without a wing (which I gotta get around to making).
You can also just swap out the body, and tires and make it a buggy.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 PM

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal

Jang:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOObs3m1deo&feature=youtube_gdata[/youtube]

You can buy an Axial Exo for around $460 RTR.

I just realized that: I was under the impression it was only available as a kit. Now that I see that....................this just may be what I get. The reviews are awesome and it looks cool as hell, sounds like it's pretty competent too.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:20 PM
My Feedback: (23)

short course or a stampede would be excellent choices. personally, Id choose a stampede,, those things jump serious terrain and offer lots of ground clearance and shock travel.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, I have to disagree with huntingterminator, syco is on the right track.

The Slash is not a good all terrain basher especially not without a lot of extra money spent to turn it into, well, a Stampede.

You're better off starting with something like the 'pede than something like the Slash.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

The Slash is not a good all terrain basher especially not without a lot of extra money spent to turn it into, well, a Stampede.

You're better off starting with something like the 'pede than something like the Slash.
pretty much cheaper to mod a stampede to a slash's length(if you would want it longer fro some odd reason), then buying the set of tires to give the slash a pede's clearance
Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM

I'm about ready to go with plan b and go with one of the Kyle Busch trucks or the Ken Block car to forget about all the off road choices!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:01 PM

Yeah, it's confusing at first, there are a whole lot of choices. But that's a good thing once you get your head around it.

I say go 4x4 Stampede.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:22 PM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: ScottRPriester

I'm about ready to go with plan b and go with one of the Kyle Busch trucks or the Ken Block car to forget about all the off road choices!
I'm all for on-road/rally, but those two are poor choices.

Check out Tamiya's lineup.

Do you like drift, grip, or rally? And also.. does the park have sidewalks or open pavement?

Also, If you like scale buggies like the Exo, Tamiya has this on sale for very cheap(Buggy Champ): http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=84187
There is also the Hpi Apache, Coyote, Losi XXX-SCB, and the Hobbyking buggy. I like scale buggies.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Yeah, it's confusing at first, there are a whole lot of choices. But that's a good thing once you get your head around it.

I say go 4x4 Stampede.
I'm not confused at all: I just don't think the type of vehicle I really want is going to work for me.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:52 PM

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal

I'm all for on-road/rally, but those two are poor choices.

Check out Tamiya's lineup.

Do you like drift, grip, or rally? And also.. does the park have sidewalks or open pavement?

Also, If you like scale buggies like the Exo, Tamiya has this on sale for very cheap(Buggy Champ): http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=84187
There is also the Hpi Apache, Coyote, Losi XXX-SCB, and the Hobbyking buggy. I like scale buggies.

I've looked a lot at the rally cars, particularly the Tamiya's. Drift doesn't interest me at all.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:56 PM

My plan c is to go with what originally drew me to RC'ing........off shore power boats.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:14 PM
My Feedback: (4)

My plan c is to go with what originally drew me to RC'ing........off shore power boats.
Just buy a hovercraft.

I have a DRX Kyosho 1/9 (SCT Size) Rally Car being shipped to me right now.

Here is a short list I made a while ago about rally cars (I might update it if you like rally cars.. It could help in the future, especially since there isn't anyone around me with them):

Tamiya (Kits):
XV01 - Newest belt driven rally kit ~$300
DF03Ra - One of the best purpose built rally chassis. Based on the DF03 buggy. (I have one) ~ $185
M05Ra - Based on the M05. Still a purpose built rally car, but FWD and M-Sized ~ $110
DF01 - Slightly outdated, more ground clearance. Based on a TA01/TA02. ~$190
TT01 - Can be fairly easily converted, with some possible issues. ~ $120
Thunder Tiger:
1/8 Scale Mini Cooper WRC. Electric, RTR ~$580
Kyosho (Prices RTR):
DRX - Gas powered 1/9 Rally Cars. ~ $290
DRXve - Electric Version ~$600
Fazer Rally - Electric 1/10 Rally ~ $190
HPI (Used):
RS4 Rally - Electric 1/10 Belt rally car. You need the dirt protect for the belt. Its outdated and no longer made, but you can still find used ones. ~ $150
Traxxas (RTR):
Mini Rally - Not really a rally car, but with some mods it can be based on the fact its based on the same chassis as the mini slash etc. ~ $250
Slash - Proline sells a rally raid style body for it, 1/9 Kyosho Inferno bodies fit, there is a GT conversion kit availiable. ~ $200
Duratrax (RTR)
Vandetta Rally - EP 1/18. Not all that good offroad. ~$60
Team Associated (RTR)
RC18R - EP 1/18. Same chassis as SC18, RC18, but not all that good offroad stock.
Ofna:
Ofna Dirt oval cars and on road cars can be modified to have enough ride height to be ideal rally cars.
Conversions
Most chassis can be converted to rally. It mainly depends on how sturdy they are, their ride height, and dirt protection. Many short course truck can be converted to rally cars.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of two

if terrain isn't too bad or grassy- 1/8 nitro buggy, ofna LX or hyper 7 will work great
if terrain is kinda bad, rocky and grassy- 1/8 monster truck- anything but traxxas will do fine.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:55 AM

I think for someone just starting out, with a fixed budget, recommending 1/8 is a poor choice.

I love 1/8. They are a blast to drive. But they are expensive. Initially, and upkeep.

And I get the whole "buy quality to save in the long run" bit, but sometimes it's easier to buy something of good (but not awesome) quality, save a lot of $$, and get your feet into the hobby first, before throwing down a ton of $$ initially to a brand new hobby.

Of course, we don't want to recommend crap either (so a new user gets frustrated with stuff breaking all the time) - but I don't think we're doing that here.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:12 AM

I think for someone just starting out, with a fixed budget, recommending 1/8 is a poor choice.

I love 1/8. They are a blast to drive. But they are expensive. Initially, and upkeep.

And I get the whole ''buy quality to save in the long run'' bit, but sometimes it's easier to buy something of good (but not awesome) quality, save a lot of $$, and get your feet into the hobby first, before throwing down a ton of $$ initially to a brand new hobby.

Of course, we don't want to recommend crap either (so a new user gets frustrated with stuff breaking all the time) - but I don't think we're doing that here.
well depends about the cost
For example the 1/8th ofna LX2e costs $50 less than the Slash 4X4 which is the same exact size. The ofna will probably be less upkeep too as parts are beefier, and they are made to take track abuse where failure is highly frowned upon cause it causes losses.
For the $50 difference you can get a 4S lipo so it would be about the same cost as the RTR slash which would still need a lipo and charger. Also oddly I find 1/8th scale buggy tires at least to be cheaper than 1/10th scale SCT tires(talking half price).

Another example I can recommend a $150-200 1/10th scale RC, but honestly it won't survive that terrain without major upgrades out of the box(that would shoot it past $350).

Old 06-28-2012, 06:24 AM

Ok, point taken. I just tend to see a lot of new guys with limited budgets asking for help, and some guys are recommending $600+ 1/8 scales. Gotta be a little tough to swallow.

For 1/8 truggy tires, prices are ridiculous. [&:]

The other thing about 1/8 though, is if you go that route over 1/10, you'll be running 4s (as opposed to 2s most likely for 1/10). So you need a more expensive battery. And more expensive charger to handle it. And more expensive electronics to power it (beefier ESC, bigger motor to move that 1/8).
Old 06-28-2012, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, point taken. I just tend to see a lot of new guys with limited budgets asking for help, and some guys are recommending $600+ 1/8 scales. Gotta be a little tough to swallow.

The other thing about 1/8 though, is if you go that route over 1/10, you'll be running 4s (as opposed to 2s most likely for 1/10). So you need a more expensive battery. And more expensive charger to handle it. And more expensive electronics to power it (beefier ESC, bigger motor to move that 1/8).
lets just put it this way, my T-CRAP cost me $75 and at the time everything was good, I have now spent close to $200 in parts with three gallons- its a piece of crap, lots of 1/10 are weak, most 1/8 are very durable, so in the long run, sure, costs up front *might* be more, but for a newbie to smash into stuff and have fun and barely break stuff is much more important than saving a few bucks and constantly fixing the thing.

I would never recommend a $600 car to someone, but a $450 one? sure- losi, team associated and kyosho all make 1/8 monster trucks for under $480, ofna makes two buggies for under $300, kyosho makes one under $375

Old 06-29-2012, 03:53 AM
My Feedback: (2)

i was surprised this went as long as it did with no constructive traxxas criticism, let's say.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:56 AM

The more reviews I've read of Traxxas, and the commentary I've read on this read, the more I'm surprised about the actual quality and real life experiences with their products. When my interest was first sparked, one is initially led to believe that Traxxas are the leaders, but in a recent shootout between all the 2wd short course trucks, the Slash finished last.

Over the next few days, I'm going to look over the park and the makeshift bmx track where I wouild be using the vehicle and get a better feel of the terrain. I'm really set ona short course truck.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:04 AM

People have been hesitant to wail on traxxas in this thread because you said you are new, and they are absolutely ideal for new people. I wouldn't look twice at any Traxxas, but just because it isn't waht I'm looking for in an RC, doesn't make me blind to the fact that they suit many people very well, especially beginners.

If you want my opinion on the best bang for buck SC on the market, it would be the OFNA Nexx 10SC. I have it's prequel brother the Jammin SCRT10, they are really great trucks. Get the Nexx though, for the more durable front end. Either will be a lot lot better than the slash, but OFNA will not be interested in replacing your broken parts, like traxxas would, that's one of the great benefits to new people. They can trash their first RC knowing it will cost little in maintenance if its a traxxas. If you got an Xray for your first car and smashed it into a wall and then saw your repair bill over 300 bucks, you'd (rightly) bust a blood vessel, leave that stuff for the racers. OFNA make great 'in between' stuff. More advanced than traxxas, generally more durable, but like most other RC companies, offer significantly less product support.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:15 AM

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

lets just put it this way, my T-CRAP cost me $75 and at the time everything was good, I have now spent close to $200 in parts with three gallons- its a piece of crap, lots of 1/10 are weak, most 1/8 are very durable, so in the long run, sure, costs up front *might* be more, but for a newbie to smash into stuff and have fun and barely break stuff is much more important than saving a few bucks and constantly fixing the thing.

I would never recommend a $600 car to someone, but a $450 one? sure- losi, team associated and kyosho all make 1/8 monster trucks for under $480, ofna makes two buggies for under $300, kyosho makes one under $375

True, and that's your 1/10 experience. All 1/10 do not require huge maintenance costs, and all 1/8 are maintenance free. I have many 1/10. With one glaring exception (E-Savage I ditched), my 1/10ths require little in terms of maintenance, and are quite durable.

I still stand by my statement: recommending a 1/8 to a brand new RC hobbyist with a limited budget is not a good idea. I'm also recommending against used RCs for a newbie - deals are out there but so are many crap piles. Just buy new for your first time in.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:33 AM

True, and that's your 1/10 experience. All 1/10 do not require huge maintenance costs, and all 1/8 are maintenance free. I have many 1/10. With one glaring exception (E-Savage I ditched), my 1/10ths require little in terms of maintenance, and are quite durable.

I still stand by my statement: recommending a 1/8 to a brand new RC hobbyist with a limited budget is not a good idea. I'm also recommending against used RCs for a newbie - deals are out there but so are many crap piles. Just buy new for your first time in.
well he said lots of them are weak not every one. I do agree they are.

The 1/8th is if the OP wants to run it in the BMX park mainly.
Dunno about BMX parks by you guys the one I went to was absolutely BRUTAL on a RC. I broke my 1/10th ST in 2 minutes. My savage X lasted 40+ minutes, and came out with 1/5th of the fins on the engine head bent, and a broken con-rod... Amazingly the truck itself didn't break anything even after a ton of bad landings

Most of the 1/8ths that were recommended are less than the 1/10ths that were recommended. IMO the 1/8ths in stock form will out preform most the 1/10ths durability wise even after the 1/10ths get the $100 in after market parts to increase their durability to the point they can take on a BMX park and come out in one piece. Now no way in hell would I recommend an expensive ass 1/8th. Also not saying they won't break, but they won't break as much in my experiences. Honestly out of the 4 1/8th scales I only broke one of them 2X, but it was an extremely used, abused, and neglected RC I bought that looked like it waas in a war, and lost so the breakage I chalk up to the last owner royally trashing it cause once I replaced the parts no more broke.

Maybe a 1/10th would fair well if you were an experienced RC'er but the OP is new and probably needs something that can take some abuse specially on rough terrain.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:30 AM

I made my purchase the other day, Iended up chosing the Associated SC10 2WD! I had my eyes on Associated products all along. I spent nearly an hour and a half at a shop trying to shove Traxxas down my throat. I went to the next shop and they had much greater selection and inventory, found the truck I wanted imediately, and was on my way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.