Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
 Not a "which model" question, but rather, which category? >

Not a "which model" question, but rather, which category?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Not a "which model" question, but rather, which category?

Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Not a

My Kyosho's from the mid 90's took serious beatings! What is the quality of them now?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most modern ST's are actually open trucks and more for racing, the only one that would have the durability you would want would be a Rustler, but I refuse to recommend a Traxxas to most people. I haven't read far enough in to see your price range but I would recommend an HPI Savage Flux, any of the lower priced OFNA 1/8 buggies, something along those lines will give you plenty of durability, smiles, and parts/upgrade availability. Either of those two would be great for bashing or to run on a track.

ORIGINAL: ScottRPriester

I'm finally able to get my first RC vehicle, and I've done more than my fair share of reading and research and feel Iknow my models well. I'm just not sure if I want to go with a stadium truck or monster truck. Here's my situation............

I live within walking distance of a 563 acre city park with lots of varied terrain. There is a makeshift BMX track I have found in the woods, which I think would be great for a stadium truck. Outside of that, the terrain varys greatly, from wide gravel trails, to narrower, rooty trails. Overall, even though it's a large park, there aren't many wide open areas to blast around on. So I feel like one of the monster trucks would be the better bet regarding the terrain, but I love the lighter feel, and the higher fun factor of the stadium trucks. I do have two tracks near me, one that seems to offer open track time more often than not, but I'd probably only get there 1-2 days a week. I would love to race from time to time, but with my schedule and a baby coming along, that will be limited too.

After all the reviews I have read, if I get a statium truck, I'm looking at the Losi XXX SCRT.

With the info I have provided, how would you spend your money given my situation?

Old 07-07-2012, 10:02 AM

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

Most modern ST's are actually open trucks and more for racing, the only one that would have the durability you would want would be a Rustler, but I refuse to recommend a Traxxas to most people.
[/quote]

Since I've bought my truck, I've found some wide open spaces in the park that have been pretty entertaining. I haven't taken it to the makeshift BMX track yet, I'm thinking of taking a shovel and making my own little track.

So far, the SC10 is insanely fast out of the box using LiPo!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 AM

Sounds like you are getting what you paid for Scott. I am like you, I couldn't decide what to get either but I ended up settling on a Traxxas Slash 4wd since it fills everything I need and I can explore the RC surface world with it. It may not do everything I want but nothing has stopped it yet and I am having some fun with it. To me it is indestructable. My wife has even taken it for a spin and flipped it at 30MPH twice and it never quits. Not sure what my next step will be but I am having a good time.

I ran into the same advice when I was buying my first planes. Everyone has an opinion on the best but really it is whats best for you. The thing could be awesome but if you don't like the look then it is not for you. So far this thinking has not lead me wrong yet.

Enjoy your RC