Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Not a "which model" question, but rather, which category?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Not a "which model" question, but rather, which category?

Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 AM
ScottRPriester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a "which model" question, but rather, which category?

I'm finally able to get my first RC vehicle, and I've done more than my fair share of reading and research and feel Iknow my models well. I'm just not sure if I want to go with a stadium truck or monster truck. Here's my situation............

I live within walking distance of a 563 acre city park with lots of varied terrain. There is a makeshift BMX track I have found in the woods, which I think would be great for a stadium truck. Outside of that, the terrain varys greatly, from wide gravel trails, to narrower, rooty trails. Overall, even though it's a large park, there aren't many wide open areas to blast around on. So I feel like one of the monster trucks would be the better bet regarding the terrain, but I love the lighter feel, and the higher fun factor of the stadium trucks. I do have two tracks near me, one that seems to offer open track time more often than not, but I'd probably only get there 1-2 days a week. I would love to race from time to time, but with my schedule and a baby coming along, that will be limited too.

After all the reviews I have read, if I get a statium truck, I'm looking at the Losi XXX SCRT.

With the info I have provided, how would you spend your money given my situation?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:08 AM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Not a

With a terrain like that, a smaller crawler or monster truck like the wraith, mini summit, Gmade-R1 etc would be the most fun in my opinion.

Do you like crawling or want something fast? I think you'll find, at least with me, that racing at a track just makes you dissapointed that you don't have a $1000+ car that can "keep up", and that it is better to put money towards a good basher that you can use at a track if you want to.

Unless it's a smaller stadium truck, they don't really seem like good bashers. Besides the BMX track, I don't think it will be much fun in a small area.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Eman77

Narwhal, why would a smaller ST be a better basher than a larger one? That's counter-intuitive to me, given the lesser ground clearance of a smaller scale.

Also, to be clear, the OP mentions a Stadium Truck, but I believe he is looking at Short Course (SC) trucks instead. (I figure Narwhal knows that, the OP might not).
Old 06-27-2012, 08:15 AM
narwalrus

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Narwhal, why would a smaller ST be a better basher than a larger one? That's counter-intuitive to me, given the lesser ground clearance of a smaller scale.

Also, to be clear, the OP mentions a Stadium Truck, but I believe he is looking at Short Course (SC) trucks instead. (I figure Narwhal knows that, the OP might not).
Oh, I see that now.. I was thinking of the XXX Stadium Buggy.. If that even exsist.

I think a 4WD SCT would work well. I believe the losi is 2WD... however SCTs are fairly large. In a small space, speed relative, that might not work to well.

I was thinking with a 2WD Stadium Truck it would be better to have a smaller smoother space than a larger rougher one to run at relatively the same scale speed.

I'm not really sure about the terrain, but if he likes something smaler maybe a Traxxas mini?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:19 AM
ScottRPriester

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal

With a terrain like that, a smaller crawler or monster truck like the wraith, mini summit, Gmade-R1 etc would be the most fun in my opinion.

Do you like crawling or want something fast? I think you'll find, at least with me, that racing at a track just makes you dissapointed that you don't have a $1000+ car that can "keep up", and that it is better to put money towards a good basher that you can use at a track if you want to.

Unless it's a smaller stadium truck, they don't really seem like good bashers. Besides the BMX track, I don't think it will be much fun in a small area.
What about the Traxxas Slash series, which seem to cater more to bashers?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you are looking at a ST I'd say go truggy 4wd will handle varied terrains way better
Or even a 1/8th scale buggy they are 4wd, and based on the ST I own will out handle it, and approximately have the same wheelbase, and clearance, but are WAY stronger, and will take more damage before breaking. Ofna makes some of the best RC's for low budgets that are extremely durable.

MT's I find are also a blast for bashing, just be warned they are usually top heavy, and will roll if turns are taken too sharp.

BTW the XXX-SCT is a brushed short course truck not stadium truck. Stadiums handle better due to their wider stance. I had a short course before and honestly for bashing its not that good IMO.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:22 AM
ScottRPriester

You're correct, short course, sorry about the incorrect terminology.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:28 AM
narwalrus

Traxxas is good depending on price. I had considered purchasing a Mini Slash for a while. If you like bigger, the 4WD Hobbyking Trooper is $150.
For rough surfaces 4WD will get stuck less than 2WD and still be competitive on a track.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:34 AM
ScottRPriester

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
BTW the XXX-SCT is a brushed short course truck not stadium truck. Stadiums handle better due to their wider stance. I had a short course before and honestly for bashing its not that good IMO.
Maybe I don't know as much as I thought..............I mentioned "Stadium" but was really referring to the short course trucks. Out of all the short course trucks, are there some designated as "stadium" where others are not?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 AM
narwalrus

Short Course Truck:

Stadium Truck:

Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Eman77

I think ST (Stadium Truck) is your Traxxas Rustler type trucks, with open wheels jutting way out of the body. They used to be very popular to race with, but I think a lot of tracks moved to Short Course (SC) now that they're crazy popular (where the body covers the wheels, like a real truck).

Back to your terrain - A large park with an old BMX track sounds like a lot of fun. For me personally, I'd avoid the 1/16 (mini) scales - they just really limit you on ground clearance. I get Narwhal's point about minis working better in small spaces, but it sounds to me that you have enough space, just not massive open areas. (You'd know best).

Others have suggested 1/8 scale truggies, which are awesome vehicles. But expensive. And if you make 'em fast, now you've got a big vehicle that needs a bit more room. So maybe 1/10 is best for you for starters (less sticker price shock, more standard stuff).

It does sound like 4WD is the way to go for you, for varied terrain. As for MT vs. SC, tough call since I don't know the terrain. It seems like either would be fun, although perhaps the MT gives you more flexibility on where you can drive it and enjoy it.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 AM
ScottRPriester

Short Course Truck:

Stadium Truck:

Thanks, just learned something new! So short course it is, I don't like the stadium trucks at all.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:23 AM
narwalrus

I'd still recommend this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Hobbyking has other cheap cars including minis as well.

(Note that I don't own one..)

Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Eman77

I dunno man, they are cheap, but would parts support be a pain? And/or take forever to get here from overseas?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 AM
ScottRPriester

I'd still recommend this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Hobbyking has other cheap cars including minis as well.

(Note that I don't own one..)

I've seen those advertised in the magazines, and have wondered how they hold up.

I should add, my budget most likely is 350-400 dollars.

I'd love to just get that new Axial buggy that's getting rave reviews, but it seems like you'll be upwards of 500 dollars or better when you get done piecing that together.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 AM
ScottRPriester

Do you like crawling or want something fast?
Speed and flickability are really key to me. I started to fall in love with some of the crawlers, but worry about wishing I had a short course truck in the end.

I'm sure I'm not the kind of person who would go to the track and be intimidated by more expensive trucks.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:00 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

I'd say, for your budget, if it is pretty set, the Stampede 4x4.  That will be the most versatile vehicle for where you are planning to run.

SCTs and STs are great trucks, but they are really most at home in a track environment.  Get too far away from a well groomed surface, and the smaller wheels and low ground clearance will become a huge disadvantage.

For multi terrain bashing and romping around, the Stampede 4x4 is a great truck.

On the flip side, if you plan to stick to the track and the trails, a 4x4 Short Course Truck would be a blast in those areas.

I'd love to tell you to stick it out and wait for a Thunder Tiger MT4, it would be the best choice of any of them.  But it won't be back on the market until September, and it is a little outside your budget.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Eman77

Forgot about the Pede 4x4, good idea. It's nice that it's sort of a MT, but on the 1/10 end of things. That makes it a bit more nimble and affordable.

I owned a Pede 2WD a while ago and had a lot of fun on rough dirt terrain (think abandoned construction) with that. Always wished it was 4WD, which they didn't offer for the Pede at the time.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 AM
ScottRPriester

Forgot about the Pede 4x4, good idea. It's nice that it's sort of a MT, but on the 1/10 end of things. That makes it a bit more nimble and affordable.

I do like the Stampede, just don't want to get it and wish I had a short course truck.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Eman77

What do you like about the SCs (say, a Slash) over the Stampede?

Not that one is better/worse, it's up to what you want. Just trying to figure out what you like more about the SCs.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM
ScottRPriester

Not that one is better/worse, it's up to what you want. Just trying to figure out what you like more about the SCs.
I like the short course trucks becaue they are sleeker, lighter, faster, and not as big.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:09 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: ScottRPriester

I like the short course trucks becaue they are sleeker, lighter, faster, and not as big.
you are wrong the SCT's like the slash weigh more than the pede (talking 4wd pede vs 4wd slash, but all their bodies are heavy as hell), are longer, and have smaller diameter wheels.

Pede 4X4 actually doesn't handle that bad if you remove the pre-loads on the shocks.

As for sleeker they only look sleeker, the handling of the slash 4X4 for example reminded me of a 1977 impala going 70mph on an expressway in 40mph winds. They rock around that much, also when you jump the body acts as a parachute making it harder to control so you land right.

If you really want a SCT which is 4wd I'd look at the ofna SCRT10, or Nexx10 (difference is the front suspension) they are pretty solid (nexx10 the arms are stronger on the front)

If you want something that will outperform them all http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBWUV&P=ML its also a bit cheaper than the traxxas products recommended, and will break less(and if you sign up for towers club you get money off the price).
Old 06-27-2012, 11:20 AM
thehuntingterminator

If you want the short course look, then go with a short course truck (SCT for short). The Stampede 4x4 is the same thing as the Slash 4x4 just with an extended chassis and a few small parts that make it look like a monster truck. I say go with the Slash. If you decide that it doesn't have enough ground clearance and gets stuck too easily (which I doubt will be the case) then you can simply throw some larger tires/wheels on it like are on the Stampede 4x4, and then problem solved. For your terrain, a 4wd SCT should get you over most of it. But like I said, if it doesn't, throw on some 2.8 inch monster truck tires and wheels and then you've got all the ground clearance of a Stampede 4x4, just then you can put back on the SCT wheels and tires and make it look like an SCT again. This is what I mean when I say put bigger 2.8s on it if you don't like the SCT thing after all:

Hope I helped.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:35 AM
narwalrus

Jang:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOObs3m1deo&feature=youtube_gdata[/youtube]

You can buy an Axial Exo for around $460 RTR.

As far as Hobbyking parts support goes they seem good and have a section for it on their website. They also have a US warehouse.

And also Jang:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArVbJOOo3E&feature=youtube_gdata[/youtube]

Old 06-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: ScottRPriester

I do like the Stampede, just don't want to get it and wish I had a short course truck.
You won't. This is the whole crux of it. As soon as I realised you meant short course, looking at your terrain descriptions, I was like, nuh-uh. I absolutely guarantee you if you get a short course, you'll wish you'd got the MT. Try to find the budget for something better than the stampede too though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.