Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Traction on outdoor loose track "Help"

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Traction on outdoor loose track "Help"

Old 06-30-2012, 10:51 PM
themilobox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction on outdoor loose track "Help"

Hello, my name is Thomas and im new to RC Universe.

I was looking for some help. I have been into RCs for a long while but always been a basher. Im 37 an been playing around since the 80's.
I have recently been going to a local track that is open to the public and the conditions are very loose.
My question has to do with Traction. I am currently running a 1/10 4wd buggy and I cant get any front wheel traction at all.. The ass end keeps kicking out on me. However, my double edge sword is this, I am running 37 weight oil in the shocks for dampening because when I hit the table top or any larger jump I bottom out majorly hard. Correct me if im wrong but if I soften up the suspention ill get more traction? However if I do I suffer bad bottom outs. Do I soften and just hit the jumps slower? Do I soften the springs and keep the dampening. Im so lost at this stuff. So basicaly how do I get my front to dig in, stop my ass end from kickin out at the same time not destroying my buggie on 4 foot landings. FYI Im not being hard on the throttle to make this happen. The track is just like an ice rink to my vehicle lol.Also I know that tire selection comes into play but Im running Bowtie treads med soft so I shouldnt be in bad shape there. Am I?

If anyone could help me I would be so thankful.

so recap : Need alot more traction/steering in the front end at the same time not having earth shattering bottom outs. BTW my little 10th scale buggy having an aluminum chassis is twice the weight of a slash 4x4....

Thanks all,
Thomas

"Pictures are of the Track" (Not my buggy)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10015.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1777370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11018.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1777371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20742.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1777372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50213.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1777373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju11928.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1777374  
Old 07-01-2012, 05:39 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Traction on outdoor loose track

to get the front to dig in, increase camber, increase caster, and soften the front suspension. to keep the rear end stuck, increase toe in, increase camber, soften suspension.

keep the front softer than the rear to increase steering.

if you are worried about "chassis slap" use slightly thicker oil. this will keep the springs at the same rate, but slow and better dampen the car when you land.

also use hard pin tires, these work better for loose tracks.

buggies tend to slap the ground on big flat landings, just the nature of the beast.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:53 AM
FahrtAutoRC

I use step pins or bow ties for tires when it is real loose, and a softer compound, M3 or super soft
Old 07-01-2012, 09:59 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Our track is dry hard packed dirt, similar to yours. Ifind that small pin tires like Proline Holeshots or JConcepts Double Dees have worked better than larger pin tires like Calibers, GridIrons or similar tires. I use Double Dees on my 2WDbuggy and it was a night and day difference after coming from Calibers. Some guys claimed thatBarcodes worked for them, but only if the top layer of dust was swept away. A few other short course guys run Proline Blockades with success. I see that the surface of your track is basically just loose dirt. Iwould consider switching to a small pin tire to help traction.

Regarding the suspension setup, Shark's advice is on point. Additionally, some general guidelines I consider for my setup are: if the track has fewer large jumps then you can try ligher oil to allow the suspension to react faster. If the track has more large jumps, then you should consider thicker oil to help prevent bottoming out on the big landings.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:25 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: themilobox

Hello, my name is Thomas and im new to RC Universe.

I was looking for some help. I have been into RCs for a long while but always been a basher. Im 37 an been playing around since the 80's.
I have recently been going to a local track that is open to the public and the conditions are very loose.
My question has to do with Traction. I am currently running a 1/10 4wd buggy and I cant get any front wheel traction at all.. The ass end keeps kicking out on me. However, my double edge sword is this, I am running 37 weight oil in the shocks for dampening because when I hit the table top or any larger jump I bottom out majorly hard. Correct me if im wrong but if I soften up the suspention ill get more traction? However if I do I suffer bad bottom outs. Do I soften and just hit the jumps slower? Do I soften the springs and keep the dampening. Im so lost at this stuff. So basicaly how do I get my front to dig in, stop my ass end from kickin out at the same time not destroying my buggie on 4 foot landings. FYI Im not being hard on the throttle to make this happen. The track is just like an ice rink to my vehicle lol.Also I know that tire selection comes into play but Im running Bowtie treads med soft so I shouldnt be in bad shape there. Am I?

If anyone could help me I would be so thankful.

so recap : Need alot more traction/steering in the front end at the same time not having earth shattering bottom outs. BTW my little 10th scale buggy having an aluminum chassis is twice the weight of a slash 4x4....

Thanks all,
Thomas

''Pictures are of the Track'' (Not my buggy)
Is that a Slash I see? What 1/8 buggy is that? Almost looks like at Losi 810 but don't think that's what it is.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:41 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Idk if that is the 810, looks full sized. 8ight or 8ight 2.0

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator
Is that a Slash I see? What 1/8 buggy is that? Almost looks like at Losi 810 but don't think that's what it is.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:08 PM
themilobox

Hey guys, Sorry I took so long to respond. Had some family things going on but thank you for all the replies!  It helps alot. I haven't gone to the track lately but I am looking forward to applying some changes as per "Mr Shark" Thanks!

Also yes that is a slash and good call FahrtAutoRC  that is a friends 8ight

But thanks again for all the replies. I'm sure ill have alot more questions down the road

Thomas
Old 07-06-2012, 05:29 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nm, missread the op.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 AM
FahrtAutoRC

PL Calibers would be GREAT for it if the were spaced further apart. In their current setup, for 4X4 SCT's, they work decent on indoor clay and great on outdoor hard-pack or blue-groove with thin layer of dust on the surface.