Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What would your neighbors most likely say?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
He's nice, but I get annoyed with all that driving.
16.67%
Those things are cool as #%$&!
43.33%
I HATE those &*$@#% things!
10.00%
I don''t know who you''re talking about, and what the hell is an RC Car?
6.67%
He''s nice, but was unaware he was into RC Cars
23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

What would your neighbors most likely say?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:30 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would your neighbors most likely say?

I know we've had a few threads around neighbors and their perception (if any) on your hobby. I would, however, like to get a large response as it could be an interesting "side bar" clipin a hobby mag or web site (using the forum as the source).

Thanks!

The question is:
Ifinterviewed about your activity in the hobby (driving on thestreet, wrenching in thegarage. etcetc), whichof the following wouldyour neighbors say?

I know some neighbors will have varied responses, just what they would most likely say (as a group)
Old 07-24-2012, 06:55 PM
The_Shark

Default RE: What would your neighbors most likely say?

I drive a rc (usually nitro) almost every day for the last 17 years, so, im sure a couple people are not thrilled with me, but oh well, I usually run less than 1/2 hour a day.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:09 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a hell of a lot seeing I've not been able to run my RC's in front of the house really for almost 2 years due to the city not caring to fix the damn street. Thing is virtually un useable for a real car, and yet they put in mother f.... speed bumps (that cause you to bottom out when idleing over them) even though you can't break 15 mph without damaging your vehicle due to the massive amount of potholes...

Can't run them on the grass either cause my front lawn can be cleared in less than 2 seconds with most my RC's (even the brushed), and my neighbors have wrought iron fences in front of their houses, and seeing the sidewalks only 2.5 feet wide or so not much room for error (Trust me I've broken many a-arms clipping fences)... Hell my backyards so big last nitro engine I broke in I barely cleared the garages driving it in circles... The city sucks....
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Not a hell of a lot seeing I've not been able to run my RC's in front of the house really for almost 2 years due to the city not caring to fix the damn street. Thing is virtually un useable for a real car, and yet they put in mother f.... speed bumps (that cause you to bottom out when idleing over them) even though you can't break 15 mph without damaging your vehicle due to the massive amount of potholes...

Can't run them on the grass either cause my front lawn can be cleared in less than 2 seconds with most my RC's (even the brushed), and my neighbors have wrought iron fences in front of their houses, and seeing the sidewalks only 2.5 feet wide or so not much room for error (Trust me I've broken many a-arms clipping fences)... Hell my backyards so big last nitro engine I broke in I barely cleared the garages driving it in circles... The city sucks....
someone needs a chopper, quadcopter or a crawler
Old 07-24-2012, 07:43 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

someone needs a chopper, quadcopter or a crawler
lol heli is a no go the trees cover is so thick its almost hitting our windows (again city refuses to do anything). Actually tried a cheap 3d one didn't work very well with the layout.

got a scx10 so its close enough to a crawler, but hell crawlers are boring on flat grass, and the potholes would strand one they are so bad, and its too slow to get out of the way of oncoming cars which would run it over cause the ppl are too busy talking on cell phones to care where they are going.
seriously though I got my savage cause my MT2 couldn't make it down the streets anymore at the time... now my savage can't make it down the street... gues I need to just go buy a VW beetle, and wire up a servo to the throttle, and brake on the engine, and a giant servo on the steering wheel after that upgrade in a few years the way its going I'd need a H2...
Old 07-25-2012, 01:37 AM
Foxy

The Greek option is easy...

x) I don't give a toss what he's doing, I don't even want to know what an RC car is, but if you engage me in conversation about them, chances are I already know everything. I don't know his name and unless he does something scandalous that I can spread around, I'm not interested in learning it. As for his hobby, as long as it doesn't make noise between 13.00 and 17.00 see if I care...

Basically, if you comply with the bold bit, nobody in greece will ever give you any trouble...
Old 07-25-2012, 05:26 AM
Eman77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL at Foxy's comments about Greece.

My neighbors love me. I'm a great guy.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:33 AM
savagecommander

basically the same for me. as long as they dont hear it, or find some way to be upset by it, its fine. i had to drop the cash on a XL system for my baja just to run.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:05 AM
pcarluvr

Mine would not say much about the R/C stuff! It's the neighbor across the street with his 70' Firebird with a blower stickin 3 feet out of the hood that get's all the complaints. Heck, I like him and his wife and really like the car but when my daughter was born and fired that thing up a 10:00 at night rattling all my wifes pictures off the wall, caused a little of me being upset. So, my 1/5 Nutech doesn't bother anyone and I'm in the city too. Thought of puttin some spikes in the tires and doing some lawn thatching the fun way, they'd love me!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Admiral052

We have a party every friday in someones driveway with a lot of neighbors. I brought out my Slash and raced it in the street and small park for everyone to see and they were all "Ohhh" "Thats fast" "Cool" So hopefully I will find a RC buddy in one of them in the future to bash with. The kids of course went nuts for it. One of the wives asked if I race RC trucks from the control had zipping around.

No one ever complains about it but they don't like the airplane engines when I am using them in the driveway.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:03 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

The 2nd one. When I pull an rc car out of my garage, my neighbors watch it from their windows and the smaller kids will run over and start badgering me with questions. It's cool to be popular.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:53 PM
JohnP2

Most of mine are pretty cool about it (and I do get along with all of them). Only once an older woman said something to another neighbor...he told me she said something to the effect of "He sure does like driving those things every night." That kind of ticked me off because I run for maybe 15 minutes max...and that is before 8pm.

I am however, becominga little beaten down with some of the attention it garners. If someone approaches me, I'm not snobby and will talk to them. Because I run nitro, it attracts a lot of attention. The other day my son and I were trying to find a place to bash and kept passing on spots that had people around simply so we could have some peace.  

Anyway, thanks for the the poll responses. Please keep them coming!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:30 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My neighbors are mostly old people, and they hate them. After a few complaints, I no longer run my nitros around here. While I know I'm legally allowed to, I'd rather not stir the pot, especially when I can just go down the street to a park and run them.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:50 PM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

Lets ask B-1 Bob that question [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLaxtDN_Pyw[/youtube]
Old 07-25-2012, 05:38 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: vega406

Lets ask B-1 Bob that question [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLaxtDN_Pyw[/youtube]
fly boys have no imagination
I would have hooked a bicycles steering wheel on that trailer, and strapped a seat on and rode it.
what grown man wouldn't want to ride a jet turbine powered tricycle
Old 07-25-2012, 05:45 PM
HJJFFFAA

My neighbors are more interested in my firearms.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:59 PM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

[quote]ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
fly boys have no imagination
I would have hooked a bicycles steering wheel on that trailer, and strapped a seat on and rode it.
what grown man wouldn't want to ride a jet turbine powered tricycle

[quote]ORIGINAL: vega406

Funny you should say that here is what i did with a spare Turbine i had [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmxUZLjW9Qs[/youtube]
Old 07-25-2012, 06:12 PM
HJJFFFAA

Needs re heat.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:42 AM
ER-95

I remember all the little kids in the neighborhood would be eyeballing my nitro buggy. Makes you feel like an instant bad@$$! Lol
Old 07-30-2012, 08:35 PM
chasehq

Firstly, my nitro doesn't go yet and I wouldn't run it out front anyway, and i dont run my 1/5th scale in my street, I go to a park and annoy the people that live close to the park with that (supposedly, see below).
I do start my 1/5th scale every now and again in the garage, but it doesn't run for 5min max.

Rest of mine are electric. But most of my neighbours love my RC's, some of them have a turn of various ones, some of the kids come out and make 'tunnels' with their legs etc.
One of my neighbours asks "Is that a new one?" everytime I bring one outside, he's just being funny, he used to race in the 80's.

I have had one neighbour complain about an M03 mini, "Would you mind runningthat down the other end of the street? it's giving me a headache." This was at 5.30pm and I obliged.

A few days later at she asked her daughter to come tell me the same thing. I said "No sorry, it's the afternoon, tell her to take these (gave daughter some panadol) and close the windows, she's being a bit
silly now." I told my other neighbours about this senario and asked if my RC's bothered them (I do have a 1/14 tractor and trailer with light and sound unit that's quite loud if I turn it up), they all pretty much laughed
adn said "Noway, we love them and laughed at my story of the annoyed woman.

The next day when she was coming home I was outside with my M03 wearing some grade 5 earmuffs, my other neighbour was mowing his lawns and looked at me funny,
I pointed to the mini and then to my earmuffs and mouthed "It's too loud".

Now everytime I get and RC out my other neighbours joke about them e.g: "Can you turn that down, it's giving me a headache *laughs* ."

At the park I go to, I've been going there since September of last year with my 5th scale. Just last weekend I had a guy about 65 come down from his house up on the hill and give me both barrels worth saying things like
"Do you think people like hearing that racket? All these people walking by want peace and quiet not to listen to this rubbish. Are you too immature to play with real cars you have to play with toys? The council and the Police know about you, you are not allowed here" etc etc. I was beside myself, %70 of walkers by stop to watch my 1/5th and ask the obligatory questions, how much, how fastand where'd you get it? etc.
Most people LOVE the 1/5th scale, it's more old people that ask about it. I told him this, I also told him that I can count on both hands the amount of times the police have been down there and just drove by slowly and carried on.

There is always one though that takes the cake.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:48 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: chasehq

Firstly, my nitro doesn't go yet and I wouldn't run it out front anyway, and i dont run my 1/5th scale in my street, I go to a park and annoy the people that live close to the park with that (supposedly, see below).
I do start my 1/5th scale every now and again in the garage, but it doesn't run for 5min max.

Rest of mine are electric. But most of my neighbours love my RC's, some of them have a turn of various ones, some of the kids come out and make 'tunnels' with their legs etc.
One of my neighbours asks ''Is that a new one?'' everytime I bring one outside, he's just being funny, he used to race in the 80's.

I have had one neighbour complain about an M03 mini, ''Would you mind running that down the other end of the street? it's giving me a headache.'' This was at 5.30pm and I obliged.

A few days later at she asked her daughter to come tell me the same thing. I said ''No sorry, it's the afternoon, tell her to take these (gave daughter some panadol) and close the windows, she's being a bit
silly now.'' I told my other neighbours about this senario and asked if my RC's bothered them (I do have a 1/14 tractor and trailer with light and sound unit that's quite loud if I turn it up), they all pretty much laughed
adn said ''No way, we love them and laughed at my story of the annoyed woman.

The next day when she was coming home I was outside with my M03 wearing some grade 5 earmuffs, my other neighbour was mowing his lawns and looked at me funny,
I pointed to the mini and then to my earmuffs and mouthed ''It's too loud''.

Now everytime I get and RC out my other neighbours joke about them e.g: ''Can you turn that down, it's giving me a headache *laughs* .''

At the park I go to, I've been going there since September of last year with my 5th scale. Just last weekend I had a guy about 65 come down from his house up on the hill and give me both barrels worth saying things like
''Do you think people like hearing that racket? All these people walking by want peace and quiet not to listen to this rubbish. Are you too immature to play with real cars you have to play with toys? The council and the Police know about you, you are not allowed here'' etc etc. I was beside myself, %70 of walkers by stop to watch my 1/5th and ask the obligatory questions, how much, how fast and where'd you get it? etc.
Most people LOVE the 1/5th scale, it's more old people that ask about it. I told him this, I also told him that I can count on both hands the amount of times the police have been down there and just drove by slowly and carried on.

There is always one though that takes the cake.
some people just suck and thats when you remove the muffler.
but seriously, life is too short to complain about such trivial things.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Most of my neighbors probably hate me in secret lol, but most give a smile and a wave if they are driving away while I'm doing backflips in the front yard with the nitro MT's...
They probably hold a little grudge from the 2 A.M. test runs that happen now and then with the nitro's.
New neighbors across the street are pretty cool, got them to come race their SCT's at the track once, then they built a track in their backyard but they are elec guys...
I'm a nitro fool, and one of the guys works 3rd shift.. so I can't race the "SCTified" HPI MT1 in their backyard while he's sleeping, been meaning to get the RC10T3 fixed...

Had quite the audience this time, lots of OOH's and AHH's from the kids next door doing backflips with the MGT 8.0 lol.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXhqgodBPIc[/youtube]
Old 07-30-2012, 09:06 PM
The_Shark

I had one of those ice cream cart guys stop and watch me run my MGT 8 for a whole tank, I was just trying to see how far I could wheelie, i was able to hold one for about 8 doors.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:15 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

Most of my neighbors probably hate me in secret lol, but most give a smile and a wave if they are driving away while I'm doing backflips in the front yard with the nitro MT's...

They probably hold a little grudge from the 2 A.M. test runs that happen now and then with the nitro's.
New neighbors across the street are pretty cool, got them to come race their SCT's at the track once, then they built a track in their backyard but they are elec guys...
I'm a nitro fool, and one of the guys works 3rd shift.. so I can't race the ''SCTified'' HPI MT1 in their backyard while he's sleeping, been meaning to get the RC10T3 fixed...

Had quite the audience this time, lots of OOH's and AHH's from the kids next door doing backflips with the MGT 8.0 lol.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXhqgodBPIc[/youtube]
I hate you just for being able to run an RC on your front yard...
Old 07-31-2012, 08:01 PM
chasehq

ORIGINAL: The_Shark
some people just suck and thats when you remove the muffler.
but seriously, life is too short to complain about such trivial things.
So true, I did have sinister thoughts about getting the track car out of the garage and lighting the bags outside his house lol, but I'm not really like that.
I was considering doing a letterdrop and explaining my situation to his neighbours, and that if it's a problem for 30mins-1 hour a weekendto come and see me and we can
talk about it (I'm a pretty friendlyguy in all honesty). But meh, I may just leave it until the police actually tell me to leave.

I hate you justfor being able to run an RC on your front yard...
I hate SLAYERDUDE for having neighbours into RC and with a track in their backyard, I'd be their best friend haha.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.